RIP Lord Bath

Ayrshire Chris

2 hours ago, Cooter said:

I think they crossed paths a few times over the years. Seem to remember a tv docu thingy about him years ago and he did come across a bit of a strange one.

Sad news indeed though, rip Lord Bath.

I remember that documentary, his son and heir came across as a bit of a tosser. Lord Bath seemed to reside in an apartment up in the attic. 

57 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I like how he was called ‘The Loins of Longleat’ (He always had 3 or 4 mistresses on the go). 

Also interesting his first lions came from the film Born Free. 

Ups - that was a mistake as it was about tigers not lions,.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

There was talk of the festival moving to Longleat not so long ago - under the pretence of it being for the 2019 fallow year. Apparently the representatives of Longleat were guests of the festival in 2016 but the mud was the deathnail to the whole scheme - although I strongly suspect the threat to move location was all for show as part of negotiations with GF landowners rather than a serious consideration. 

On 4/6/2020 at 10:24 AM, whitehorses said:

Sad about Lord Bath, one of the great eccentrics

it'#s easy to be eccentric when you're born into huge wealth and power and know you'll never have to do a days work for all of your life. 

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

it'#s easy to be eccentric when you're born into huge wealth and power and know you'll never have to do a days work for all of your life. 

Although to be fair Glastonbury has benefited from that as well. Arabella Churchill etc probably falls into the same category. A lot of people who live alternative lifestyles are those who are lucky enough to be able to. I've listened to many a Desert Island Discs from a great eccentric who got expelled from boarding school at 15 and thought if they had been black and living in Brixton they probably wouldn't have had a chance at the life they went onto have. 

1 minute ago, whitehorses said:

Sure is. Weird clapback over an expression of sadness 

Me, I think it's a bit weird to mention him as "great" for doing something where the opportunity to do it was laid out on a plate for him, in a way that just isn't for the vast body of humanity.

It's the downtrodden celebrating someone else's privilege - and not even a privilege he was cashing in on that benefitted others in any way. Even the likes of Cameron rates higher.

1 minute ago, whitehorses said:

It’s also fantastically easy when born into huge wealth to be massively dull. Bath may have been lots of things, but he certainly wasn’t dull 

True.

If someone gives me the same, just like him I promise not to be dull. :D 

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

Me, I think it's a bit weird to mention him as "great" for doing something where the opportunity to do it was laid out on a plate for him 

Haha. Yeah, but calling him eccentric isn’t like calling him a ‘genius’. It’s just expressing how peculiar he was - it’s not even a compliment. I’m fairly sure he’d have worn that clobber if he’d been born a poor man. And if born a poor man he wouldn’t have been draped in tigers he’d have been draped in smelly ferrets. 

Edited by whitehorses

1 hour ago, whitehorses said:

We all know Lord Bath types who were born poor. They’re the same as him, just without the fuck off house 

@Neil :)

I disagree. Those not-Lord-Bath types wouldn't know where their next meal was coming from, which makes everything about them not the same at all.

46 minutes ago, Neil said:

I disagree. Those not-Lord-Bath types wouldn't know where their next meal was coming from, which makes everything about them not the same at all.

I once tried to help a young lad find his mates at Shambala. He was a wild feral looking lad, and obviously off his nut. As we were walking along he spotted a single potato on the ground. He immediately picked it up and started to eat it. I said something along the lines of ' you didn't know that that was cooked or not, or where it's been'. He just responded with 'It is cooked, and I don't care because I'm hungry'. Now, there's proper eccentricity as opposed to Lord Bath's perceived eccentricity, in my opinion. 

Whether it’s a lord or a traveller, a local character or a celebrity I reckon the world is a more colourful place with some eccentricity, some who don’t live by convention , who live an alternative lifestyle as long as they do no harm to others.  Also these lifestyles have to be by choice not imposed on them by poverty.  

Ive seen quite a few at our favourite festival! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

25 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Sorry, didn’t mean to start a debate about Bath’s eccentricity or not. I won’t express sadness over someone I was fond of again. Cheers chaps 

Hello whitehorses,

Apologies, as I didn't mean to cause any offence with my post. It's just that he didn't seem to me to be that eccentric in any case. To my mind he just wore dire waistcoats and screwed a lot of women who were happy to let him do so in return for the trimmings of his wealth. That's OK, that's their call. However, would we call a bloke who goes to a brothel  to screw prostitutes when he's got some money eccentric? 

I'll grant you I didn't know the bloke, so don't know if there were other areas of his life that were eccentric, or benevolent to those in more need. In addition, I'm very dubious about the existence of zoo's - especially for monetary gain.

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello whitehorses,

Apologies, as I didn't mean to cause any offence with my post. It's just that he didn't seem to me to be that eccentric in any case. To my mind he just wore dire waistcoats and screwed a lot of women who were happy to let him do so in return for the trimmings of his wealth. That's OK, that's their call. However, would we call a bloke who goes to a brothel  to screw prostitutes when he's got some money eccentric? 

I'll grant you I didn't know the bloke, so don't know if there were other areas of his life that were eccentric, or benevolent to those in more need. In addition, I'm very dubious about the existence of zoo's - especially for monetary gain.

Some people just can’t let things go can they?

”Sorry... BUT here’s all the reasons I disagree”

Jesus H 

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I can't make out what you are saying there.

This is a forum where people discuss things etc. If we stop doing so, then there is no forum.

I’d said i hadnt meant to start a debate about his ‘eccentricity’ or not. And said I wouldn’t express sadness again over it. You then ‘apologised’ and then proceeded to undo that apology with an attempt to re-ignite the debate. 

If that’s not abundantly clear then I can’t help you. Carry on the debate with your imagination by all means.

ps, your chap eating a potato sounds like mental illness and/or drugs to me.

Ppps, I also don’t like zoos and I’m ambivalent about his mistresses as long as they consented. But ‘liking’ things doesn’t have much of a bearing on how ‘eccentric’ I deem something to be. But I forget we’re among puritans here with severe class/wealth envy 

Edited by whitehorses