Performers that were more baked than you are now!

bamber

On 4/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, Homer said:

Shaun Ryder in a similar state to the one he was in the last time the Mondays played the Pyramid:

Epic, utterly, quarterly epic.

For those above asking what baked is ^^^^^^^^^^ ?

• Upvote 1

I went to see Ariel Pink at EoTR 2018 and really could not understand what was going on.

Subsequently found this review at www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=27696.1645 

which explains everything and is possibly the greatest review I have ever read:

So, we’re in the Big Top tent. The headliners on the main stages are over and it’s packed, as people still want to party. I’m right at the front as I love Ariel and have never managed to see him live.

The band soundcheck with a blistering take of ‘Hardcore Pops Are Fun’. As they walk off, we can hear Ariel’s radio mic offstage giving some final feedback to the sound crew. Something along the lines of:

‘Right, I have a looong list of issues with that’. Everyone laughs because it sounded so good.

Shortly after, at about 11.15pm,  the band return and launch into ‘Time to Live’. A minute or so later Ariel stumbles after them, clutching a 4/5ths empty bottle of Jamesons. He looks, erm, especially dishevelled. Immediately it’s apparent that Ariel is utterly, utterly shitfaced. Everyone goes wild, naturally.

He eventually picks up his handheld mic, starts muttering into it, and gets a ‘shush’ gesture from the guitarist, so that the band can start singing. He joins in on the song’s refrain, occasionally making random noises and trying to address us about something or other, and fiddles a lot with his little mixer. At the end of the song he says something unintelligible about Jamesons and wanting to stage dive. He comes to the front of the stage, weighs up his condition and the 5ft leap he’d need to make and sensibly changes his mind. This is presumably the only sensible decision he’s made all day.

Next up is ‘Time to Meet Your God’. Ariel disappears behind the backdrop for a minute, presumably for a piss or a vomit.  When he returns he starts singing while walking in a tight circle around his mic stand. Understandably, this disorientated Ariel somewhat, so when he’s done circling he walks straight to the side of the stage (which is raised) and sings to the sound desk below, thinking he’s facing the crowd. The guys at the desk are in stitches.

If my memory is correct it was ‘White Freckles’ next. To be fair to Ariel, for this and most of what follows, he does a surprisingly good job at just about keeping up with the lyrics, though the Brian Johnson-looking backing singer guy is clearly doing most of the heavy lifting.

Ariel keeps drinking from the Jameson’s bottle til it’s drained, and keeps walking in circles and losing his bearings. The lead guitarist looks like he’s wondering what’s gone wrong with his life.

There’s a good section of older stuff, including ‘House Arrest’, where Ariel just has to shout a lot. I should stress at this point that everyone is absolutely loving this.

About half way through the set Ariel announces to the band that he’s changing the setlist. Each of them reacts differently. One puts his hands on his hips. One holds his head in his hands. One shouts ‘Nooooo’. I confess, I was not entirely sober myself and I’ve forgotten what he wanted to sing, but it was one of his crooner-type songs. I think he needed a change of pace, but his condition did not do him any favours on the slower songs. ‘Baby’ came soon after and Ariel did it in the club style.

Ok, so we’re 40 minutes into his scheduled hour. What’s this? It’s only ‘Black Ballerina’! Everyone goes wild. The ‘Billy’ bit starts (tape playback) and Brian Johnson starts miming the Irish fella part. Ariel has forgotten he’s supposed to be playing ‘Billy’ and is on the other side of the stage looking the wrong way. The band coax him over to Johnson, who’s laughing as much as the rest of us to be fair to him. All Ariel can manage to blurt out - at completely the wrong point - is ‘I like your areolas’. At the end of the song he approaches the front of the stage and has to do that wavy armed thing to stop himself from plummeting 6ft.

After this, and with 15 minutes of scheduled time to play, Ariel starts waving his arms frantically, shouting something about this being ‘the end of the road’ (the name of the festival) and there being a hard curfew. He sort of shrugs his shoulders and paces offstage, to the bemusement of the crowd, band and crew. We all sort of laugh, thinking he’s messing about. But no, he’s done for the night. The band walk off, but the lightshow stays active, giving us hope of an encore - surely ‘Hardcore Pops’ was going to get its outing?

But sadly not. The strains of ‘William Tell Overture’ by, of course, Portsmouth Sinfonia strike up and Ariel presumably falls into a long and well-deserved sleep.