EOTR quiz

SweepingTheNation

While we're all remaining indoors waiting for things to clear in time for EOTR 2020 to be cancelled and inspired by a thread in the Glastonbury forum I thought I'd put together a little quiz about the festival's history. No cheating!

1. Who headlined the Friday of its first year?
2. In which year did Alan Sparhawk of Low infamously throw his guitar into the crowd?
3. Who was the first Saturday night Woods stage headliner, and in which year?
4. Which band pulled out of a Big Top headline set in 2009 on the day despite playing Bestival the night before?
5. Name the music press hyped band who were surprise Thursday night headliners in 2014.
6. Who did Jarvis Cocker and Richard Hawley join on stage in 2009?
7. What, related to EOTR, connects Sade, Tim Buckley and Art Garfunkel?
8. Which punk band ended their Big Top set outside the tent?
9. Which duo have never played the festival as themselves but teamed with Emmy The Great for a Sweet Valley High based routine on the Comedy stage in 2011?
10. Name two artists who have covered Boyz II Men's End Of The Road during their End Of The Road sets.

...OK, so I think I've either underestimated the length of time people on here have been going to the festival or overestimated how many people are still reading the forum. Answers, then:

1. Josh Ritter
2. 2008
3. Mogwai, 2011
4. The Horrors
5. Palma Violets
6. Bob Lind
7. Perfume Genius covered them all during his 2014 Comedy stage secret set
8. Monotonix
9. Summer Camp
10. Jens Lekman and Architecture In Helsinki (don't know if there were others)

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

Personally I just didn't know any of them :lol:

Thanks for your efforts...I think a lot of people have probably just stopped checking these forums for the time being as it's just bad news after bad news.

Apart from the hardcore few of us. Who are like someone with a toothache who can't stop poking at it.....

Edited by retromoz

On 4/4/2020 at 8:06 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

...OK, so I think I've either underestimated the length of time people on here have been going to the festival or overestimated how many people are still reading the forum. Answers, then:

1. Josh Ritter
2. 2008
3. Mogwai, 2011
4. The Horrors
5. Palma Violets
6. Bob Lind
7. Perfume Genius covered them all during his 2014 Comedy stage secret set
8. Monotonix
9. Summer Camp

5/10... pretty content with that score. I think Palma Violets must have played in 2015 though, as I remember seeing them but I wasn't even at the festival in 2014.

I got 3/10 which is rubbish considering I've done them all from 2009 onwards. As a useless piece of information which is worth a bonus point, I recollect Dylan LeBlanc stepped in to play an extra set to cover the reshuffle following The Horrors cancelling. I've diligently despised The Horrors ever since.

I have tickets for Black Deer in June and can't believe this hasn't been pulled yet. Birds of Chicago, who were scheduled to play, have now cancelled their tour dates. Rightly or wrongly, I remain optimistic about EOTR in September but can see it selling out in about 30 seconds on positive news: it'll be pretty much the only show in town.

17 hours ago, RedRockRick said:

I got 3/10 which is rubbish considering I've done them all from 2009 onwards. As a useless piece of information which is worth a bonus point, I recollect Dylan LeBlanc stepped in to play an extra set to cover the reshuffle following The Horrors cancelling. I've diligently despised The Horrors ever since.

I have tickets for Black Deer in June and can't believe this hasn't been pulled yet. Birds of Chicago, who were scheduled to play, have now cancelled their tour dates. Rightly or wrongly, I remain optimistic about EOTR in September but can see it selling out in about 30 seconds on positive news: it'll be pretty much the only show in town.

I felt the same way about The Horrors after they pulled out. When they eventually played the Woods stage (2014) I was happy to write them off as "average". They have made some innovative records later in their career, I grudgingly admit. I'm also yet to quite forgive Dengue Fever for a similar act of treason.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:06 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

Jarvis Cocker did last year 😃

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/3/2020 at 3:19 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

While we're all remaining indoors waiting for things to clear in time for EOTR 2020 to be cancelled and inspired by a thread in the Glastonbury forum I thought I'd put together a little quiz about the festival's history. No cheating!

1. Who headlined the Friday of its first year?
2. In which year did Alan Sparhawk of Low infamously throw his guitar into the crowd?
3. Who was the first Saturday night Woods stage headliner, and in which year?
4. Which band pulled out of a Big Top headline set in 2009 on the day despite playing Bestival the night before?
5. Name the music press hyped band who were surprise Thursday night headliners in 2014.
6. Who did Jarvis Cocker and Richard Hawley join on stage in 2009?
7. What, related to EOTR, connects Sade, Tim Buckley and Art Garfunkel?
8. Which punk band ended their Big Top set outside the tent?
9. Which duo have never played the festival as themselves but teamed with Emmy The Great for a Sweet Valley High based routine on the Comedy stage in 2011?
10. Name two artists who have covered Boyz II Men's End Of The Road during their End Of The Road sets.

Just tried this again (as one does). I think I probably got one less right than first time around so clearly I need to cheat better.