How do you feel?

Matt42

I’ve just read the last couple of pages of this thread and totally get what you are all feeling, particularly you @Ozanne but... 

Try not to judge your relatives by their actions too much... this is hard. We’ve all got a breaking point. I hugged my mum tonight, after eating a takeaway in their garden. Some of my siblings would think that’s irresponsible and kick off but I know I’ve been minimising my risk as much as possible and I haven’t hugged my mum since the beginning of March. 

We have to weigh up the risks with our need for human contact, especially with our nearest and dearest. Because of the amount of time that has passed now, the risk vs need balance seems to be changing, for me at least. 

Edited by stuie

8 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I love a rainy day, for some reason the rain has never really bothered me. I’m very weird though. 

I'm the same! Love the rain.

The rain only bothers me at the moment because we've got a small patch of penetrating damp in our guest room and we can't get anyone out to fix it because it's such a small job.

37 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I'm the same! Love the rain.

The rain only bothers me at the moment because we've got a small patch of penetrating damp in our guest room and we can't get anyone out to fix it because it's such a small job.

That’s annoying! Damp in a house can be a real pain. 

Feeling really frustrated today ..... best mate really annoying me over masks and wetherspoons .... he moans and moans about Tim Martin and brexit ... but won't stay out his pubs for the sake of a few £s .... hes also anti mask along with a couple more of my friends who aren't seeing the need , who all have vulnerable friends and parents ... Its getting me down a little ... they have amazed me :( 

Finding it very easy to feel the weight of the world at the moment. I quit my consultancy job rather abruptly last November due to a mental breakdown. It was my first 'proper job' and I stuck it for 11 months but just couldn't continue there, unfortunately it was the kind of quitting where I definitely won't be getting a good reference. I moved back to my hometown and in with an elderly parent, was halfway through therapy when coronavirus hit. Now I'm stuck in a position where I'm socially isolated, unemployed, wanting to change careers but not sure what to or how to do it, with limited prospects in a small town, and all the while very concerned that whatever I do may put my elderly parent at risk.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Feeling really frustrated today ..... best mate really annoying me over masks and wetherspoons .... he moans and moans about Tim Martin and brexit ... but won't stay out his pubs for the sake of a few £s .... hes also anti mask along with a couple more of my friends who aren't seeing the need , who all have vulnerable friends and parents ... Its getting me down a little ... they have amazed me :( 

This is a really tricky time socially and it reminds me of the Brexit referendum. So many friends and families with polarised views, yet we can't escape each other. Only this time it's potentially life threatening. I'm just hoping that the divisions don't get as extreme as they seem to be over in the US.

5 minutes ago, alien said:

Finding it very easy to feel the weight of the world at the moment. I quit my consultancy job rather abruptly last November due to a mental breakdown. It was my first 'proper job' and I stuck it for 11 months but just couldn't continue there, unfortunately it was the kind of quitting where I definitely won't be getting a good reference. I moved back to my hometown and in with an elderly parent, was halfway through therapy when coronavirus hit. Now I'm stuck in a position where I'm socially isolated, unemployed, wanting to change careers but not sure what to or how to do it, with limited prospects in a small town, and all the while very concerned that whatever I do may put my elderly parent at risk.

This is a really tricky time socially and it reminds me of the Brexit referendum. So many friends and families with polarised views, yet we can't escape each other. Only this time it's potentially life threatening. I'm just hoping that the divisions don't get as extreme as they seem to be over in the US.

yep such tough times with friends and relatives too ... ive been wanting to change careers for 25 years so im aware of that feeling ... something I did 10 years ago was a bit of travelling and taking a bit of time out to try some really different stuff to the norm ... fruit picking and vineyard work .... it just gave me a few months break and a chance to see the world a little and the great outdoors gives a chance of a bit of reevaluation of life and thoughts ... now I know its not something thats very practical at the moment but maybe something to consider once we have got though this difficult spell ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep such tough times with friends and relatives too ... ive been wanting to change careers for 25 years so im aware of that feeling ... something I did 10 years ago was a bit of travelling and taking a bit of time out to try some really different stuff to the norm ... fruit picking and vineyard work .... it just gave me a few months break and a chance to see the world a little and the great outdoors gives a chance of a bit of reevaluation of life and thoughts ... now I know its not something thats very practical at the moment but maybe something to consider once we have got though this difficult spell ....

Appreciate the perspective, I have actually been travelling a few years back to Australia, did some fruit picking and potato farming which I enjoyed. I could never really relax into it though, just felt stressed and anxious a lot of the time as if I needed to hurry up and sort my life out. Eventually gave in to that pressure and returned home and ended up in that job that led to my breakdown. My life seems so rushed, trying desperately to get all those things other people seem to have (money, impressive office job, prestige, house, car, girlfriend/wife, children) but never really asking myself what do I want. Now that coronavirus is here it has forced me to slow down and consider things.

At Glasto I've always wanted to give the various crafts a go (woodwork, leatherwork etc) in The Green Fields but never really got round to it, too many bands to see, friends wanting to go here or there. I think my next Glasto will be a very different one.

18 hours ago, alien said:

Appreciate the perspective, I have actually been travelling a few years back to Australia, did some fruit picking and potato farming which I enjoyed. I could never really relax into it though, just felt stressed and anxious a lot of the time as if I needed to hurry up and sort my life out. Eventually gave in to that pressure and returned home and ended up in that job that led to my breakdown. My life seems so rushed, trying desperately to get all those things other people seem to have (money, impressive office job, prestige, house, car, girlfriend/wife, children) but never really asking myself what do I want. Now that coronavirus is here it has forced me to slow down and consider things.

At Glasto I've always wanted to give the various crafts a go (woodwork, leatherwork etc) in The Green Fields but never really got round to it, too many bands to see, friends wanting to go here or there. I think my next Glasto will be a very different one.

life challenges us like that ... it makes us think we should fit boxes ..... and all those things in the brackets are not things that will definitely bring happiness .... in fact they can lead to more stress and unhappiness ..... society makes us hanker after these things and im much the same as you and sometimes think that maybe some of these things are passing me by .... im 44 for some context .... but actually looking at positions my friends are in its not all happiness that sometimes social media portrays and puts the added pressure on us ... and being told that you will meet somebody often doesnt help things . slowing down is the right thing to do and looking at what you enjoy in life is also a good way of looking on some positives .... if you want a chat whilst in the slower pace of life in the Green fields give me a shout ... its not something ive actually got round to doing yet but it is very much something id like to in my Glastonbury career :) 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m incredibly emotional right now. Waited a lifetime for this feeling. 

I’m going to be partying hard into the night. MOT!

I'm guessing you are a Leeds supporter then?  Congrats - always wanted Leeds back in the Prem - away too long :) 

On 7/16/2020 at 11:02 PM, Big durbs said:

Don’t be a copier eng buddy , I’ve been doing it since 1983 , not sure if I like it yet , maybe when they take my off YTS I might change my mind lol

One of my mates started off after school on a YTS programme. He now runs the whole company, travels the globe on business (whenever he wants) earns a fortune, and has a fuck off and die company car. So, just saying that it actually did work for some people. Guess what he does? He buys and sells fish. By which I mean each individual purchase order he makes is in the high hundreds of thousands of pounds up to and over a million pounds. Then he sells it to all the supermarkets in this country for a considerable profit. Then they sell it to you and me for even more of a profit. Don't you just love being financially bummed!?

Plodding on over here. Melbourne is about 10 days into a new six week lockdown, with new infections now in the hundreds, daily. The lack of being able to meet new people (mainly via Facebook and MeetUp social groups) has thrown a spanner into my plans to re-establish myself in the post break-up period. The stay at home message also means I'm not being as active as I want and end up drinking more than I should.

I'm trying to keep perspective about it though. It's a short time, which will pass. Plans haven't gone wrong, they've just been delayed. There's value to be found in the chapter we're in. I've bought a couple of new books to read, and still haven't finished the Glasto 50 book! Not being able to go out and spend money means I've been able to invest more in my new flat, which should soon be almost finished (i.e. decked out with the basics).

tl;dr: ups and downs.

• Upvote 3