How do you feel?

Matt42

21 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Feeling this like a kick in the nads. It’s awful. Such a big sense of loss over the festival. I feel like Christmas has been cancelled. 

Reminds me I meant to change my sig.

I'd usually be putting the tent up now.

I don't feel too bad at the mo, it's not like 2017 when I didn't get a ticket.

That's probably going to change when a) I start watching the BBC coverage and b) everyone with tickets starts getting excited for next year. Even if my Oxfam place had rolled over (it hasn't) I won't be able to get the extra time off work next year so it's resale or bust for me 😟

19 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I'm also still wrestling with the guilt of lamenting the loss of the Festival, when compared to the loss that 42000 families have endured.

😥

I don't feel guilty for missing the festival. A member of my team died due to COVID. As his manager, I have been speaking to his family.

I have been having regular conversations with them. They asked me how I was & if I had any plans etc. I said my "holiday was cancelled", but felt guilty for feeling sorry about it. Quick as a flash she said "Don't feel guilty, more than 1 thing can be true at the same time. You feel sorrow for us & miss your trip - I am sorry for you too". It stuck with me.

So missing the festival shouldn't make you feel guilty in any way. Today's the day to really miss it.

That's from a family member directly affected.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I don't feel too bad at the mo, it's not like 2017 when I didn't get a ticket.

That's probably going to change when a) I start watching the BBC coverage and b) everyone with tickets starts getting excited for next year. Even if my Oxfam place had rolled over (it hasn't) I won't be able to get the extra time off work next year so it's resale or bust for me 😟

It really sucks about Oxfam not being rolled over. Extra kick in the teeth that.

I’ve been feeling ok about it not being on as there’s obviously more important things to worry about at the moment but I’m starting to really miss it now. Wednesday and Thursday were the days I missed most when I didn’t get a ticket last year, as you can’t really come close to replicating them at home and I think I feel the same way this year. Once the music started last year and I could sit and watch the live streams all day I was generally fine, there was a few sets which were so good it really made me miss being there (The Cure, Idles, Lizzo) but I think I’ll feel better once we can start watching and reminiscing about the iPlayer sets tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I’ve been feeling ok about it not being on as there’s obviously more important things to worry about at the moment but I’m starting to really miss it now. Wednesday and Thursday were the days I missed most when I didn’t get a ticket last year, as you can’t really come close to replicating them at home and I think I feel the same way this year. Once the music started last year and I could sit and watch the live streams all day I was generally fine, there was a few sets which were so good it really made me miss being there (The Cure, Idles, Lizzo) but I think I’ll feel better once we can start watching and reminiscing about the iPlayer sets tomorrow.

Totally Agree. I never got a ticket 2019 or for this year so I quickly accepted "Well another weekend with the BBC coverage I guess" while keeping positive about resale. But didn't mind the thought of another weekend on the sofa with some ciders and the coverage. Think its weird waking up and not reading about peoples manic journeys to the festival or reading about queues today. But sure when the coverage starts and going through the sets, will feel like its happening of some sort..

42 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I don't feel guilty for missing the festival. A member of my team died due to COVID. As his manager, I have been speaking to his family.

I have been having regular conversations with them. They asked me how I was & if I had any plans etc. I said my "holiday was cancelled", but felt guilty for feeling sorry about it. Quick as a flash she said "Don't feel guilty, more than 1 thing can be true at the same time. You feel sorrow for us & miss your trip - I am sorry for you too". It stuck with me.

So missing the festival shouldn't make you feel guilty in any way. Today's the day to really miss it.

That's from a family member directly affected.

100% this. Very nicely  articulated by that relative. We’re all experiencing a million small losses at the moment and coming to terms with what we’re missing out on, plans that never been carried out, people who we love who we can’t see. Feelings about these losses are just as valid as those who are grieving. One doesn’t cancel out the other. 

Pretty rubbish.  Would be loaded up and on our way.  Missed out on a ticket last year and remembering feeling the same on the Wednesday last year.   feel sad for all those normally involved in making Glastonbury the best experience and particularly those who depend on the festival circuit for their income.

2 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I thought I was ok with this and had it all processed. Turns out no, no I haven't.

I'm exactly the same. 

In the grand scheme of things there will be other festivals and people losing loved ones is infinitely more important. I think this feeling of sadness and missing out is compounded with our general feeling of helplessness with the situation in general though. It's ok to feel down about a loss of freedoms and fun too.

See you all on the other side folks - we will be back! 

I feel fine to be honest, a bit numb to all this now. Having missed 2019 after a 4 year run I was very excited to go back but frankly, the feeling/sadness of missing out last year way exceeds the same feelings this year. It's a huge shame that all the summer festivals have cancelled but I'm very much okay with it all now. I'm viewing it as a chance to save up some money to go big next year. 

I doubt I'll be doing any of the virtual stuff or watching the sets on iPlayer. I understand the appeal, but for me it pales in comparison to actually being there and I have no personal desire to rewatch sets that I attended.  That being said, I may watch Gorillaz just for that Mark E Smith appearance.

I go alone. Have done since 2014. I'm an introvert and don't do 'other people' all that well. I'm not socially inept, I just find talking to strangers a bit overwhelming. So it's a weird to be feeling like I'm missing my friends. Total strangers, but 134,999 friends, nonetheless. Just for five days. Just for a little snapshot in time. A bubble of happiness. I miss the togetherness and the shared experiences. If you were going to be there, I miss you too. Totally bizarre feeling, but there it is. There's something indescribably wonderful about being inside the fence.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I go alone. Have done since 2014. I'm an introvert and don't do 'other people' all that well. I'm not socially inept, I just find talking to strangers a bit overwhelming. So it's a weird to be feeling like I'm missing my friends. Total strangers, but 134,999 friends, nonetheless. Just for five days. Just for a little snapshot in time. A bubble of happiness. I miss the togetherness and the shared experiences. If you were going to be there, I miss you too. Totally bizarre feeling, but there it is. There's something indescribably wonderful about being inside the fence.

Totally understand some of that ... I struggle in normal times to make social contact but at 'glastonbury I force myself to interact  with my extrovert fancy dress .... because I know the interactions will be with amazing like minded people ... in difference to a night out in my home town where someone could just as easily be taking the piss as soon as my back is turned ..... Im a little on the sad side today lots of effort had gone into ticket efforts and now its all gone flat .... but it will soon be the run up to October .... and the resale team will reunite and help each other once again ....

50 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Right now, our coach from Sheffield would probably just about be hitting the Bristol area - the point where we open the first cheeky can of cider. 

Instead, I am having a five minute tea break in between zoom meetings at work. 

It's shite. 

Im off til a week tomorrow. Work won't allow me to carry days over.

I wish I was in work.

Just attending meetings that I would have been away for made it hit home.

Had a little think about the festival this morning on my run about the time I would have been arriving and how things could have been so different.

I know Corona is the reason its not on, but it would have been even better had it been on this year to give some mental relief of whats happening and a place to truly let go. But it will be even better next year. Delayed gratification.

59 minutes ago, kalifire said:

+1 just for using the phrase "socially inept" :D