How do you feel?

Matt42

I feel tired and pissed off at the moment. I’m trying to manage my clinical work, submitting my PhD thesis and trying to take care of my girlfriend whose mental health has deteriorated a lot during the lockdown and I’m pretty knackered with it all.  

I’m feeling the void of Glastonbury more this week, as it feels more imminent. I was hoping it would be a release after submitting my thesis, but that’s not happening.

One of my colleagues sugggested creating a “lockdown bucket list” of all of the things you want to do when this is all over. I think I’m going to take up his idea and it might be one for anyone on here hoping to raise their spirits a bit too ! :) 

Edited by zero000

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

I feel tired and pissed off at the moment. I’m trying to manage my clinical work, submitting my PhD thesis and trying to take care of my girlfriend whose mental health has deteriorated a lot during the lockdown and I’m pretty knackered with it all.  

I’m feeling the void of Glastonbury more this week, as it feels more imminent. I was hoping it would be a release after submitting my thesis, but that’s not happening.

One of my colleagues sugggested creating a “lockdown bucket list” of all of the things you want to do when this is all over. I think I’m going to take up his idea and it might be one for anyone on here hoping to raise their spirits a bit too ! :) 

Your doing great!! A bucket list for after lockdown sounds a good idea! Take care of yourself and your girlfriend! 

• Like 1

Today has been a bloody rollercoaster and a half ...... trip to tesco with the shakes ..I needed to get out and about as im due back on the 15th ..... followed by meeting my old boss in the park ... then got a text from brother to say sis in law and nephew had tested negative ( probably too late to catch it ) but good news anyway . Then I get a message from best friend whos doing traffic marshalling at the covid test centre that a colleague he worked with on sat and shared a radio with had been in hospital and has covid ... so hes had a test now and was isolating apart from his work have said he doesnt need to until track and trace contact him .... anyway then mum rings and tells me brothers family are visiting them next week ... blood pressure through the roof ... brother then tells me its been 18 days .

And the final straw this evening is that I won't be back to work on the 15th as expected .... it will be 7 days after boris announcement around the 15th .... so with my booked holiday im off until july now ... just when id mentally got my head around going back :( 

30 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Today has been a bloody rollercoaster and a half ...... trip to tesco with the shakes ..I needed to get out and about as im due back on the 15th ..... followed by meeting my old boss in the park ... then got a text from brother to say sis in law and nephew had tested negative ( probably too late to catch it ) but good news anyway . Then I get a message from best friend whos doing traffic marshalling at the covid test centre that a colleague he worked with on sat and shared a radio with had been in hospital and has covid ... so hes had a test now and was isolating apart from his work have said he doesnt need to until track and trace contact him .... anyway then mum rings and tells me brothers family are visiting them next week ... blood pressure through the roof ... brother then tells me its been 18 days .

And the final straw this evening is that I won't be back to work on the 15th as expected .... it will be 7 days after boris announcement around the 15th .... so with my booked holiday im off until july now ... just when id mentally got my head around going back :( 

Wow, that's a hell of a day! At least if you're not working until July that's a bit more time for things to settle down with the reduced lockdown restrictions.

@zero000 that lockdown bucket list is a great idea 👍

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Wow, that's a hell of a day! At least if you're not working until July that's a bit more time for things to settle down with the reduced lockdown restrictions.

@zero000 that lockdown bucket list is a great idea 👍

I’m almost disappointed to be not going back ... I’m missing people and was starting a decent friendship with a girl at work ... although on the positive I’m safe and healthy :) 

47 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

... so with my booked holiday im off until july now ... just when id mentally got my head around going back :( 

Probably good your not going back till July as you can start to venture out in the world without too much pressure of going back to work! Gives you the opportunity to do things safely and as slowly as you need too! Start with going to quiet places until you feel comfortable! It does get better and generally people and being sensible! The supermarket was scary and first but then you sort of get used to it! The fear of the unknown I think is very powerful. 

Good news about Sister and nephew! I saw my parents and nephews for first time today! Which was lovely! And I was impressed all wearing gloves and had plenty of sanitiser available for journey! 
did you get the county gazette supplement! 

26 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Probably good your not going back till July as you can start to venture out in the world without too much pressure of going back to work! Gives you the opportunity to do things safely and as slowly as you need too! Start with going to quiet places until you feel comfortable! It does get better and generally people and being sensible! The supermarket was scary and first but then you sort of get used to it! The fear of the unknown I think is very powerful. 

Good news about Sister and nephew! I saw my parents and nephews for first time today! Which was lovely! And I was impressed all wearing gloves and had plenty of sanitiser available for journey! 
did you get the county gazette supplement! 

I got 8 ... a few spares in case there were people on here couldn’t get hold of it :) I just kind of want to start meeting people again 

Edited by crazyfool1

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

How're you doing now, @WestCountryGirl? It will have been a big week for you, being there for your friend despite being so exhausted. Friday today, so you're nearly at the weekend. I hope you're able to rest.

Only almost Friday for us but I am glad of it. I actually slept in until my alarm at 8 this morning which is unheard of for me, so I must need the rest. Got some nice plans for the weekend too - going to try and make gyoza from scratch, my favourite club night are hosting another stream on Saturday, and a big quiz with friends.

How are you doing? Feeling good about your move next week? 

On 6/3/2020 at 5:06 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello bamber,

I'm afraid that I don't know an enormous amount about the internet really. I can use this site, a few news sites, and also (back in the day) book a Ryanair flight. Obviously I'm exaggerating / being slightly self deprecatory there a little. That said, I don't really know if the internet is evil or not. Surely it can and is both evil and possibly our saviour. I guess it's down to how people want to use it and interpret it's response to them.

I just tried to be 20 ft tall, but accidentally shot the mark. This happened instead;

With concentration

My size increased

And now I'm fourteen stories high (At least)

Empire State human

Just a bored kid.

I'll go to Egypt to be

The pyramids

I love my friends too, and know that they love me in return.

I guess that's a start.

A typically, thoroughly, excellent post there my friend.

I don't post here that often, for good reason, I tend to get carried away when I do I cop flack.

But I do read every word of this place if and when I can.

Regarding the internet, this place is the exception that proves the rule.

Edited by bamber

On 6/4/2020 at 7:58 PM, crazyfool1 said:

Sorry @crazyfool1. Your post was relevant to my situation, but the below got a bit long. Feel free to skip. Same for all obvs. Tl;Dr at the end.

I'd also been psyching myself up for going back to work. For at least a fortnight. Had been told I was on special leave until 6th June. I had four shifts rostered for next week then three weeks leave booked off for Glasto.

My LM does the weekly welfare check on Tuesday, and I'm informed that those four rostered shifts are now also special leave. I was told that I have to take my booked leave (at the behest of their manager). Not due back 'till 8th July then. Wouldn't let me back if I begged them apparently. Reason given being a cross between lack of traffic and H&S. Thing is, other colleagues in my position are (to the best of my knowledge) having their special leave extended until 30th June*. I'm not sure if they can do that (force me to take pre booked annual leave that is).

The next day I'm contacted by another manager, who suggests that I start sharing a work laptop with a colleague who lives nearby (three days a week each or something), and that they will also try to hook me up to "coffee mornings" and briefings via my desktop at home.

I did point out that I'm not sure how they'll get that to work, good luck with that, as said home desktop is about thirteen years old, runs on Vista OS and has no camera or mic. Sure enough, I got a text the next

morning from another manager stating that they had tried to add me but couldn't work out how to do it. They're gonna try again next week (again, good luck).

Also, how am I meant to exchange a laptop with a colleague once a week, given that we're both off from work for isolation reasons? (I didn't voice my concerns over that one, and given that I haven't heard anything since, maybe my colleague did?).

Anyway, (these weekly check ups via phone get really long (as do these posts ;)) 'cause we're all stuck at home bored with nobody to talk to), I point out to Wednesday phone call manager that I was due to (i.e. previously told I had to) take my leave in a few days. They told me that I didn't have to, and could "trade them off later" (or something) if I wanted to.

Cue conversation about how I've had those three weeks off annually for about at least a decade. And that, given the choice, I would rather not be working the last weekend in June if I can possibly help it. Unless you want to hear me reminisce about which field I was in at what time in which year and watching who all weekend. And possibly weeping.

I think that's it! Not quite sure where I stand now, is the point I was trying to work out maybe? Am I having to take my leave? Or aren't I? Is a laptop coming or isn't it? Will the traffic at work ever recover enough for my job to still be necessary.

*30th June. Big announcement/decision regarding furloughed/isolating staff expected. Really hope it won't be, "There's no traffic = No jobs = Good Luck, Thanks, Off you go". I'm concerned that an awful lot of people may not have considered that this is a real possibility in their future.

Tl;dr: Was expecting to go back to work for just a week. Told no you can't. Thought I had another month off and was then given options to work part time from home (which probably won't work) I'm still basically stuck at home wondering wtf then. I am not, no way, going to work the last weekend of June. 

Sorry. That all got a bit me, me ,me and my first world problems. I know I'm better off than most and really shouldn't moan

Love and Peace to all.

6 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Sorry @crazyfool1. Your post was relevant to my situation, but the below got a bit long. Feel free to skip. Same for all obvs. Tl;Dr at the end.

I'd also been psyching myself up for going back to work. For at least a fortnight. Had been told I was on special leave until 6th June. I had four shifts rostered for next week then three weeks leave booked off for Glasto.

My LM does the weekly welfare check on Tuesday, and I'm informed that those four rostered shifts are now also special leave. I was told that I have to take my booked leave (at the behest of their manager). Not due back 'till 8th July then. Wouldn't let me back if I begged them apparently. Reason given being a cross between lack of traffic and H&S. Thing is, other colleagues in my position are (to the best of my knowledge) having their special leave extended until 30th June*. I'm not sure if they can do that (force me to take pre booked annual leave that is).

The next day I'm contacted by another manager, who suggests that I start sharing a work laptop with a colleague who lives nearby (three days a week each or something), and that they will also try to hook me up to "coffee mornings" and briefings via my desktop at home.

I did point out that I'm not sure how they'll get that to work, good luck with that, as said home desktop is about thirteen years old, runs on Vista OS and has no camera or mic. Sure enough, I got a text the next

morning from another manager stating that they had tried to add me but couldn't work out how to do it. They're gonna try again next week (again, good luck).

Also, how am I meant to exchange a laptop with a colleague once a week, given that we're both off from work for isolation reasons? (I didn't voice my concerns over that one, and given that I haven't heard anything since, maybe my colleague did?).

Anyway, (these weekly check ups via phone get really long (as do these posts ;)) 'cause we're all stuck at home bored with nobody to talk to), I point out to Wednesday phone call manager that I was due to (i.e. previously told I had to) take my leave in a few days. They told me that I didn't have to, and could "trade them off later" (or something) if I wanted to.

Cue conversation about how I've had those three weeks off annually for about at least a decade. And that, given the choice, I would rather not be working the last weekend in June if I can possibly help it. Unless you want to hear me reminisce about which field I was in at what time in which year and watching who all weekend. And possibly weeping.

I think that's it! Not quite sure where I stand now, is the point I was trying to work out maybe? Am I having to take my leave? Or aren't I? Is a laptop coming or isn't it? Will the traffic at work ever recover enough for my job to still be necessary.

*30th June. Big announcement/decision regarding furloughed/isolating staff expected. Really hope it won't be, "There's no traffic = No jobs = Good Luck, Thanks, Off you go". I'm concerned that an awful lot of people may not have considered that this is a real possibility in their future.

Tl;dr: Was expecting to go back to work for just a week. Told no you can't. Thought I had another month off and was then given options to work part time from home (which probably won't work) I'm still basically stuck at home wondering wtf then. I am not, no way, going to work the last weekend of June. 

Sorry. That all got a bit me, me ,me and my first world problems. I know I'm better off than most and really shouldn't moan

Love and Peace to all.

cant answer any of your questions but what I can say is that most of us worry about different things at different points and however minor they might seem , they are also things that effect our thoughts at a particular moment and are relevant in a bigger picture of how we are doing generally ... So a small example here I was shaking when visiting tesco yesterday a small thing but a symptom of something bigger that ive got to get around . So things that dont seem life changing or big are important in their own way . So id write a bit of a list and get those things on that list ticked off as you get the satisfactory answer , one question at a time and that will hopefully relieve some worry , good luck 

6 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Love and Peace to all.

Hello Mr. Zigster,

I guess that you are not a member of a union? As an aside from that, does the company you work for have set Policies & Procedures documents which cover all their activities. I'm thinking this may not be the case either. In which case, I would seriously suggest that you contact some organisation like the Citizens Advice.

If your employer does have the written codes within their P & P documents, then I would urge you to study them, possibly like you've never scrutinised anything ever before. If you can't get clarity on any aspects then ask any relatives or mates you think may be able to shine light on that area or areas. Don't stop there, ask here too as well. You need to understand those P & P's like the back of your hand. Once you do,  you may find that you are able to hoist them from their own petard. That was certainly the case when I used a companies P & P's against them - twice! They were fucking furious, but could do nothing. 

I wish you well in sorting this one out, and in your quest to have some tranquillity in your life. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

cant answer any of your questions but what I can say is that most of us worry about different things at different points and however minor they might seem , they are also things that effect our thoughts at a particular moment and are relevant in a bigger picture of how we are doing generally ... So a small example here I was shaking when visiting tesco yesterday a small thing but a symptom of something bigger that ive got to get around . So things that dont seem life changing or big are important in their own way . So id write a bit of a list and get those things on that list ticked off as you get the satisfactory answer , one question at a time and that will hopefully relieve some worry , good luck 

Speediest response ever. Wise words. One By One. Got it. Thank you.

I popped 'round the block earlier. Literally a a ten minute round trip. First time I've been out for about a week. Did a little shopping and it was then pissing down when I exited the shop. It hasn't rained around here for about a fortnight. What shitty luck of mine to have ventured out in those ten minutes? Fucking drenched I got.

But it wouldn't be June if I didn't get showered on some weekend somewhere eh?

20 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Speediest response ever. Wise words. One By One. Got it. Thank you.

I popped 'round the block earlier. Literally a a ten minute round trip. First time I've been out for about a week. Did a little shopping and it was then pissing down when I exited the shop. It hasn't rained around here for about a fortnight. What shitty luck of mine to have ventured out in those ten minutes? Fucking drenched I got.

But it wouldn't be June if I didn't get showered on some weekend somewhere eh?

I try to respond when quoted or I will forget :) let us know how u get on 

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Mr. Zigster,

I guess that you are not a member of a union? As an aside from that, does the company you work for have set Policies & Procedures documents which cover all their activities. I'm thinking this may not be the case either. In which case, I would seriously suggest that you contact some organisation like the Citizens Advice.

If your employer does have the written codes within their P & P documents, then I would urge you to study them, possibly like you've never scrutinised anything ever before. If you can't get clarity on any aspects then ask any relatives or mates you think may be able to shine light on that area or areas. Don't stop there, ask here too as well. You need to understand those P & P's like the back of your hand. Once you do,  you may find that you are able to hoist them from their own petard. That was certainly the case when I used a companies P & P's against them - twice! They were fucking furious, but could do nothing. 

I wish you well in sorting this one out, and in your quest to have some tranquillity in your life. 

Guessed wrong. I am so in a Union.Tuesdays phone call manager (my direct LM) said the same thing as you. They were just following instructions but thought it sounded a bit off. Advised me to talk to the Union.

Wasn't there a test case relatively recently? A person was on leave, then got sick, and it was ruled that it was sick leave, not "leave" leave, and they got their leave days back? Or something like that?

Sounds ridiculous to me. I like to think that I'm not greedy or unreasonable. An old job of mine, well, you basically earned a certain amount of leave for every hour you were at work. If I've had three months off sat on my arse, it's a bit unreasonable of me to then state, "but, thirty days annual leave a year", surely?

3 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Guessed wrong. I am so in a Union.Tuesdays phone call manager (my direct LM) said the same thing as you. They were just following instructions but thought it sounded a bit off. Advised me to talk to the Union.

Wasn't there a test case relatively recently? A person was on leave, then got sick, and it was ruled that it was sick leave, not "leave" leave, and they got their leave days back? Or something like that?

Sounds ridiculous to me. I like to think that I'm not greedy or unreasonable. An old job of mine, well, you basically earned a certain amount of leave for every hour you were at work. If I've had three months off sat on my arse, it's a bit unreasonable of me to then state, "but, thirty days annual leave a year", surely?

my leave has been reduced pro rata for the time ive been off ... which is absolutely the right thing to do in my eyes fair to us and also for the people that remain working 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

my leave has been reduced pro rata for the time ive been off ... which is absolutely the right thing to do in my eyes fair to us and also for the people that remain working 

Yeah. Spot on. My thinking.

I was (we were?) discussing about getting psyched up for going back to work. I was prepped. Now it's going to be at least another month. It's going to be even harder next time (if there's still a job).

There is a certain type of colleague who always gets involved in other colleagues HR issues. I am so going to get the arse ripped out of me when (if) I go back. I feel a bit guilty and carried if I'm honest. They maybe have a right to be pissed off with me.

2 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Yeah. Spot on. My thinking.

I was (we were?) discussing about getting psyched up for going back to work. I was prepped. Now it's going to be at least another month. It's going to be even harder next time (if there's still a job).

There is a certain type of colleague who always gets involved in other colleagues HR issues. I am so going to get the arse ripped out of me when (if) I go back. I feel a bit guilty and carried if I'm honest. They maybe have a right to be pissed off with me.

im fortunate in that respect at the moment my job is not going anywhere at present but I wish you all the best .... we will take those steps together all the same and I will cross everything for you