How do you feel?

Matt42

As far as Glasto goes, I'm feeling OK. Knowing there's nothing happening at all means there's no FOMO, and a guaranteed ticket next year means there's no stress. I'm hoping to get a refund on my flights in due course.

As far as life goes, I'm struggling. I haven't been on here much, have been drinking more than usual, and am generally feeling anxious and displaced. I'm finding it difficult to process the fact that there's no off-switch. You can't wake up, or go somewhere to get away from it, because it's everywhere. It's a struggle to adapt to that.

Hope everyone else is doing better.

I think I saw the Glastonbury cancellation coming for a long time and so it felt less dramatic when it happened. I tend to be a bit doomsday, so I’m already not banking 2021 happening!

We are a family of four and have settled in to our new life pretty well. When you have kids your priorities are different and you can’t let yourself go down a darker route. I realise that for some people that choice isn’t possible and I am lucky not to suffer in that way. 

I am not a social media fan, so have no worries with the fear those sites can sometimes spread. I’ve kept my news watching to an absolute minimum and keep updated once or twice a day. 

I have found this place to be, in general, somewhere to help me gain some perspective on what’s happening. There are a couple of threads where I feel I am getting some pretty solid info about what’s happening without the hyperbole. 

For the first time, I have chosen to block some posters content. Not something I would have ever done before but I have found that their posts seem cause me anxiety at a time that I don’t need it. This has worked well and I recommend it if you find your visits here are marred by one or two posters who you might feel don’t add to your enjoyment of the site. 

All the best to everyone, everywhere. Keep safe. 

I'd accepted the Glastonbury cancellation, had seen it coming like most people. Every now and then I get a pang of longing when I hear something by one of the announced acts but I've got to admit it really hit home last night when I was typing up today's On This Day tweet and it was time for this one from last year...

Screenshot_20200403-084724_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6fdf71255eac39e96b815df6bc9a2205.jpg

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

As far as Glasto goes, I'm feeling OK. Knowing there's nothing happening at all means there's no FOMO, and a guaranteed ticket next year means there's no stress. I'm hoping to get a refund on my flights in due course.

As far as life goes, I'm struggling. I haven't been on here much, have been drinking more than usual, and am generally feeling anxious and displaced. I'm finding it difficult to process the fact that there's no off-switch. You can't wake up, or go somewhere to get away from it, because it's everywhere. It's a struggle to adapt to that.

Hi Kali,

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. It's definitely an odd thing to get your head round not being able to run away somewhere. Given the time you posted, I guess your in NZ (or is it Australia?)... I hope you have some people around! I live by myself and have been trying to limit shop visits so realised the last person I spoke to in the flesh was 6 days ago. Pretty mad! But, there's lots of skypes to be had. My crew from 2019 are planning a wee virtual glasto reunion on Saturday. I may even don some sequins for the occasion. Also ordered some fancy wines (well, £13 a bottle, which is fancy for me!) for this wine tasting thing my friend is doing over easter. I find that having weird things like that to look forward to really helps. 

I definitely find the fact that Glasto isn't happening at all is easier to deal with than it happening and me not being there. The absence of FOMO is quite nice in this regard.

I can understand why you might want to be on here a little bit less often, but there is still a lot of nice chat to be had :) I'm particularly enjoying the quiz thread and the top pyramid songs, in the latter of which I can feel an argument about The 1975 brewing any time now...

Edited by Sasperella
  • Like 1

I'm feeling ok about Glastonbury, insofar I haven't really had a chance to think about it.  

It's everything else that is a bit more difficult. Work is getting more challenging, we're starting to run low on PPE, there's so much staff sickness and the effects of the lockdown on the service user's mental health is increasing.

Trying to explain to a person  with a learning disability or a mental health condition why they can't go out or visit their parents is so difficult and it isn't going to get any easier as times go on.

I honestly do not know what I'm going to do if/when the virus gets into work.  We have 8 services all next door to each other with about 50 residents in total,  about half a dozen of them are in the high risk health category.  

So how do I feel? Scared of whats to come to be honest.  

All I do know is, the party in 2021 is going to be like nothing we've ever seen before.

• Like 1

The fact the tickets got carried over softened the blow of the cancellation and it's something to focus on next year.

The days aren't too bad, i think the lighter nights and and potential warmer weather is helping, imagine if this was happening in November or January it would be a lot more depressing.

Anyway it's the weekend now so we can all pack up our workstation and spend a bit more time with the family.

27 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I’m surprisingly ok. Always liked my alone time anyway. Just watching previous seasons of an American TV show called Survivor, a season a day almost.

That's a new one on me.

We've gone through: Better Call Saul, Ozark, Succession & Inside No. 9

edit: not all since the virus hit, mind you! Just in recent months. All brilliant.

Edited by kalifire

11 hours ago, kalifire said:

Sucks pal.  Best thing I can suggest is to set yourself a time limit after which you don't look at the news or social media, unless you can control what articles you see.  It's the best way I've found of removing myself from it a bit. So if I come on here I pretty much stick to the new music thread, the quiz, stuff like that. Otherwise yeah, it's a bit relentless.

So after 5pm, that's the rule I'm trying to stick with

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That's a new one on me.

It’s trash reality TV, tribes compete for immunity & treats on normally a tropical island. Losing team goes to a council to vote off someone. Once numbers are down the tribes merge & then it’s individual immunity challenges. I was sceptical at first as you’d expect the strongest players to win but it’s not the case as alliances are made & it gets bitchy.

I also enjoy The Amazing Race, a bit like Race Around The World on BBC at the moment but last team to arrive at the final destination each episode gets eliminated. There are challenges each leg, teams can choose on strength or mental tasks but there are only vague clues as to which challenge is which & teams can screw over other teams at checkpoints etc.

Prize money for winning is $1mill (sometimes $2mill) so both shows are very competitive.

Sometimes it’s back ground TV whilst I’m lesson planning or marking but it has given me great ideas of countries & places to visit.

33 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That's a new one on me.

We've gone through: Better Call Saul, Ozark, Succession & Inside No. 9

edit: not all since the virus hit, mind you! Just in recent months. All brilliant.

I've got through PJ Masks, Lion Guard and Lion King 2 twice, the joys of a 3 year old!

And I only got Disney + so I could watch The Mandalorian

4 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I'm feeling ok about Glastonbury, insofar I haven't really had a chance to think about it.  

It's everything else that is a bit more difficult. Work is getting more challenging, we're starting to run low on PPE, there's so much staff sickness and the effects of the lockdown on the service user's mental health is increasing.

Trying to explain to a person  with a learning disability or a mental health condition why they can't go out or visit their parents is so difficult and it isn't going to get any easier as times go on.

I honestly do not know what I'm going to do if/when the virus gets into work.  We have 8 services all next door to each other with about 50 residents in total,  about half a dozen of them are in the high risk health category.  

So how do I feel? Scared of whats to come to be honest.  

All I do know is, the party in 2021 is going to be like nothing we've ever seen before.

I can empathise with that. Mrs C has been called out of retirement as she was a community carer. She’s dealing with mainly dementia cases in their own homes doing what is politely called personal care. It’s very stressful especially since the clients have really no idea what is going on.

and yes, when we both enter through the gates into The festival next year we will be shedding tears of joy. It’s gonna be incredible. Stay safe everyone. 

3 hours ago, Bisque said:

I’m surprisingly ok. Always liked my alone time anyway. Just watching previous seasons of an American TV show called Survivor, a season a day almost.

Dude, I never hear anyone else talking about this show, it's my family's favourite. Been watching it for years. The Australian version is the best though, definitely check that out.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m at peace with Glastonbury being canned. It’s all the other shit going on at the moment that I’m worried about.

Yeah I’ve barely thought about Glastonbury at all with everything else happening. Been pretty much coming in here to talk about news and music in general - just feels like a fallow year now.

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m at peace with Glastonbury being canned. It’s all the other shit going on at the moment that I’m worried about.

This. Although I didn't have a ticket which helps! I think I feel better knowing that there is nothing to miss out on, as selfish as that makes me! Was planning to try the resale, but I think it started to seem impossible long before the festival got cancelled for me. 

I'm doing okay otherwise. The first week before proper lockdown (but we were basically living it) was the worst for me so far. All my plans being cancelled, no idea when I'd see anyone again, worry about work and people I love getting ill... cried a lot that week. Now I've settled into a bit of routine. But it's still very changeable. I'm not going for walks every day, more like every other day interspersed with home exercise, but I will be gutted to have that freedom taken away. Guess we will see, though. I'm very lucky to have my health and to still be working which is structuring my weeks somewhat. 

Stay safe guys x

2 hours ago, mazola said:

Dude, I never hear anyone else talking about this show, it's my family's favourite. Been watching it for years. The Australian version is the best though, definitely check that out.

I tried watching it years ago but I didn’t take much notice & preferred TAR. The latest season of TAR was ex-racers vs. Survivors vs. big Brother so thought I’d give it another go & now I am hooked. Boston Rob is on the latest series & I enjoyed him on two series of TAR.

Feeling ok right now, listening to music with a glass of wine while the mrs watches some shit on tv. We only stopped work on Tuesday, even that was so boring, but 4 days in I'm feeling the stir craziness a bit, the mrs has had three weeks of it already and is bat shit crazy!! 😁

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This. Although I didn't have a ticket which helps! I think I feel better knowing that there is nothing to miss out on, as selfish as that makes me! Was planning to try the resale, but I think it started to seem impossible long before the festival got cancelled for me. 

I'm doing okay otherwise. The first week before proper lockdown (but we were basically living it) was the worst for me so far. All my plans being cancelled, no idea when I'd see anyone again, worry about work and people I love getting ill... cried a lot that week. Now I've settled into a bit of routine. But it's still very changeable. I'm not going for walks every day, more like every other day interspersed with home exercise, but I will be gutted to have that freedom taken away. Guess we will see, though. I'm very lucky to have my health and to still be working which is structuring my weeks somewhat. 

Stay safe guys x

I find myself having good days and bad days. WFH doesn’t make my workload any lighter and today for example I’ve had to juggle a full day of calls and meetings, and grumpy and demanding toddler and a 39 week pregnant wife who is almost immobile now. It’s not been the best day,  find myself mentally and emotionally exhausted by 8pm most nights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I find myself having good days and bad days. WFH doesn’t make my workload any lighter and today for example I’ve had to juggle a full day of calls and meetings, and grumpy and demanding toddler and a 39 week pregnant wife who is almost immobile now. It’s not been the best day,  find myself mentally and emotionally exhausted by 8pm most nights.

Yeah I do really feel for colleagues who are attempting to work full time and look after kids. That's tough! Do you have some paternity leave coming up? Not that that will be a picnic...

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I do really feel for colleagues who are attempting to work full time and look after kids. That's tough! Do you have some paternity leave coming up? Not that that will be a picnic...

At least with paternity I won’t have to worry about work, I’ll be able to focus solely on the kids and Mrs J.