Best metal/hard rock/extreme band to play Glastonbury?

Bisque

No poll.

Just a discussion on who you thought (if it’s your thing or not) who the best “heavy” rock band in any genre to play Glastonbury as it’s a bit of a niche at the festival.

Mine are Enter Shikari (Other 2014 & JP 2015) & Bring Me The Horizon (Other 2016). Had a brilliant time as it broke up seeing pop acts & DJ’s.

I heard the Earache stage was good.

Metallica seems like the obvious one but they definitely get my vote. I'd never seen them before so it was an awesome first time for that, plus all the build up (even including the pitting or not pitting threads on here) was dead fun as well. Really enjoyed Napalm Death as well, although kinda soured by the people I was with really wanting to go the whole time.

I seemed to spend a lot of 2019 indulging in heavy rock and metal around Shangra La. On the Friday night, Gojira were amazing and the crowd were really up for it, but Venom Prison before them were probably better, just with a quieter crowd. It was a shame that Idles followed Gojira, really spoilt the run that Truth Stage had going and I ended up getting annoyed at the drop in quality / crowd being swamped by dicks and walking off. 

Away from the Friday night, Entombed AD in Scum were epic, all the more special for me as I finished work at midnight and managed to get from the farmhouse to Shangra La in time for the start. On the Sunday Eyre Llew were the perfect soundtrack for the sun coming up, although it's pushing it to class them as heavy rock. Haggard Cat were on much earlier and despite blowing the sound managed to keep the song going and with the help of a crew member fix the problem, although without losing the beat. 

• Upvote 1

I don't really watch the heavier acts at Glastonbury because I tend to watch those outside the festival, and I like to see stuff ive never seen before. Babymetal were the only one I saw and I thought they were fantastic. 

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes in the JP 2017 was incredible :)

I'm a bit like @jparx in that although I love metal and heavier music, I rarely watch it at Glastonbury....mostly because none of my Glasto crew are really that into it. I did manage to drag one of my mates along to Frank though and it was fan-fucking-tastic!

Also that year we all went along to Napalm Death due to the timing and because everyone wanted to check out the new Shangri-La. They stayed at the back though whilst I ran up to the mosh pit and had a great time. I loved how all the Metallers suddenly popped up out of nowhere :)

Has to be the Venom Prison/Gojira double header for me. An epic double bill. Shame VP didn't have bigger crowd but it was reasonable enough. Was very bizarre mooching around Shangri-La mid evening when hardly anyone was there. Really enjoyed Napalm Death the previous festival too, an awesome set and the crowd were excellent too.

Sadly missed out on Metallica in 2014 I had to watch it on TV but I thought they nailed it.

So glad that there is a little corner of the festival for some serious noise now.

5 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

I seemed to spend a lot of 2019 indulging in heavy rock and metal around Shangra La. On the Friday night, Gojira were amazing and the crowd were really up for it, but Venom Prison before them were probably better, just with a quieter crowd. It was a shame that Idles followed Gojira, really spoilt the run that Truth Stage had going and I ended up getting annoyed at the drop in quality / crowd being swamped by dicks and walking off. 

Away from the Friday night, Entombed AD in Scum were epic, all the more special for me as I finished work at midnight and managed to get from the farmhouse to Shangra La in time for the start. On the Sunday Eyre Llew were the perfect soundtrack for the sun coming up, although it's pushing it to class them as heavy rock. Haggard Cat were on much earlier and despite blowing the sound managed to keep the song going and with the help of a crew member fix the problem, although without losing the beat. 

Don’t know what crowd you were in but IDLES wasn’t full of dicks at all. And drop in quality? Just because it maybe wasn’t to your taste doesn’t mean the quality dropped. They were superb. 

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Metallica, but, my best was Motörhead, just because.

I fucking love Motorhead but had to walk away from that. I mean partly coz Run The Jewels were starting on West Holt's but partly coz it was kinda sad, Lemmy seemed kind of past performing. The guy spent decades being a fucking juggernaut and if I couldn't see them like that it seemed best to not see them at all for their sake.

I really, really don't want that to come across as insulting to them but it's early and my nuance meter hasn't really topped up yet.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

I fucking love Motorhead but had to walk away from that. I mean partly coz Run The Jewels were starting on West Holt's but partly coz it was kinda sad, Lemmy seemed kind of past performing. The guy spent decades being a fucking juggernaut and if I couldn't see them like that it seemed best to not see them at all for their sake.

I really, really don't want that to come across as insulting to them but it's early and my nuance meter hasn't really topped up yet.

I know what you mean. But for me, I just wanted to soak it up.

3 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Don’t know what crowd you were in but IDLES wasn’t full of dicks at all. And drop in quality? Just because it maybe wasn’t to your taste doesn’t mean the quality dropped. They were superb. 

Probably could have explained that better. A lot of the knobs around me were due to my mate showing up with a bunch of their friends, plus the general way that the SE corner goes from quiet to absolutely rammo in the space of an hour. And yeah, my taste, but personally Idles would have been much better placed earlier, so the run went Idles > VP > Gojira. 

Edited by sirjonnyp

On 4/2/2020 at 6:51 AM, John the Moth said:

Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes in the JP 2017 was incredible :)

Didn’t he play before or after The Killers? I know a few people who saw him either to be in early for The Killers or stayed after, I can’t remember which, & they all said it was one of the highlights of the festival. They said there was a lot of energy going off in JP!

20 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

do Deftones qualify? if so, then them.

Most definitely. I haven’t listened to them since I was at school & Back To School got heavy rotation in the art classroom. I think most of our year passed around White Pony to copy onto their MiniDisc players.

On 4/2/2020 at 12:36 AM, priest17 said:

Metallica seems like the obvious one but they definitely get my vote. I'd never seen them before so it was an awesome first time for that, plus all the build up (even including the pitting or not pitting threads on here) was dead fun as well. Really enjoyed Napalm Death as well, although kinda soured by the people I was with really wanting to go the whole time.

Seeing and hearing Master of Puppets on the pyramid for me was one of the highlights of all the G's i have been to .

9 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

How was Metallica's crowd? I can see they were in full voice on video, but was the area full? Did they hold the masses? Missed 2014 and keen to know how it felt in the flesh.

Crowd wasn’t sparse but it was easy where I was to move between people. Apparently a fair few walked off after a bit, plenty of space to enjoy it by the speakers with friends who really weren’t interested (mainly the girlfriends of our group!). I enjoyed it & liked that there was space not to worry about your pint getting spilt.

Compared to when I saw them at Sonisphere though it wasn’t as good but that was full of metalheads going wild.

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, in their element at Sonisphere. I'm glad it didn't bomb – the band knew it was a one-off, the fest did too, would have been a shame for it to flop. The singalongs look mega and I guess once you're past the mid-way sound booth, you're not getting embarrassed.

As a non-metalhead I enjoyed Metallica - a classic case of something I wouldn't pay money to see elsewhere but more than happy to check it out. 

40 minutes ago, Homer said:

Does Rage Against the Machine count for anything?

Indeed it does. You saw them at Glasto?

I’d also like to mention Modestep who played before Enter Shikari on the JP. No idea how big the crowd was as I was at the barrier.