The Glastonbury festival quiz

Crazyfool01

21 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Correct.

I think. Let's face it, it was 21 years ago, I have no idea. There's a good chance I've completely mixed things up.

Either way, over to you.

Thanks - needed leading by the nose, let's be honest! 

A three parter for the next question.

2009 was the first time I was presented with the opportunity to go to Glastonbury, as my Girlfriend at the time, who I met at uni, was a Somerset native and went every year. Stupidly (and I'm still angry at myself for this) I said no, because I didn't like camping. I also turned down the opportunity in 2010. It would take another 7 years before I finally turned up in Pilton and haven't looked back since. 

Anyway, the three parts to this question are: 

1. Which two mega stars made their only Glastonbury appearances to date in 2009?
  2. Which now mega star played a secret set in a micro-venue, and what was the venue? 
  3. What significant step forward did Arcadia take? 

9 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Thanks - needed leading by the nose, let's be honest! 

A three parter for the next question.

2009 was the first time I was presented with the opportunity to go to Glastonbury, as my Girlfriend at the time, who I met at uni, was a Somerset native and went every year. Stupidly (and I'm still angry at myself for this) I said no, because I didn't like camping. I also turned down the opportunity in 2010. It would take another 7 years before I finally turned up in Pilton and haven't looked back since. 

Anyway, the three parts to this question are: 

1. Which two mega stars made their only Glastonbury appearances to date in 2009?
  2. Which now mega star played a secret set in a micro-venue, and what was the venue? 
  3. What significant step forward did Arcadia take? 

1. I know you're looking for Lady Gaga and some other pop person, but Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen arguably also qualify. I'm going to go for that Scottish DJ boy, watsisname?

2. Lady Gaga played somewhere in Shangri La, but I've no idea which venue.

3. It's own field, moving out of Trash City? I thought The Spider didn't come in until 2010 or 2011?

Half an answer there!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

1. I know you're looking for Lady Gaga and some other pop person, but Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen arguably also qualify. I'm going to go for that Scottish DJ boy, watsisname?

2. Lady Gaga played somewhere in Shangri La, but I've no idea which venue.

3. It's own field, moving out of Trash City? I thought The Spider didn't come in until 2010 or 2011?

Half an answer there!

Nailed it really - I was looking for the boss and Neil Young for 1, Gaga for 2 (it was Club Dada) and the Arcadia step forward was being given a dedicated field - top work. By Scottish DJ do you mean Calvin Harris? 

Back to you Stu. 

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Nailed it really - I was looking for the boss and Neil Young for 1, Gaga for 2 (it was Club Dada) and the Arcadia step forward was being given a dedicated field - top work. By Scottish DJ do you mean Calvin Harris? 

Back to you Stu. 

giphy.gif

Yeah, Calvin Harris. I'm not sure if he's played any other times, but he did play that year and certainly hasn't played recently.

I'll have to think of another bloody question now!

Just now, blutarsky said:

There wasn’t any last year was there? Certainly can’t remember it if there was. 

There was a bit on Friday afternoon 2017, which was a belter weather wise. 

Drizzle in the early hours if I’m remembering my year correctly would have been 3am ish when I was walking back to tent 

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, Homer said:

Apologies if I'm jumping the queue but c48659c7-3f60-4b8d-9042-1e86f7999ccc.thumb.jpg.71dab40e40a5b830d61c148c96989964.jpg(as this is so easy) name the artist, year, stage and day...

Artist is definitely Beach Boys, presume the stage is Pyramid. Couldn't tell you the year without googling, though pretty certain it was before I started going so pre 2009?

Edit: Actually presume it was just Brian Wilson rather than the whole band now I think of it.

Have seen the highlights on TV and it looked a fun gig & pretty sunny too.

Edited by found home in 2009

36 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Artist is definitely Beach Boys, presume the stage is Pyramid. Couldn't tell you the year without googling, though pretty certain it was before I started going so pre 2009?

Edit: Actually presume it was just Brian Wilson rather than the whole band now I think of it.

Have seen the highlights on TV and it looked a fun gig & pretty sunny too.

Brian Wilson, 2005, Pyramid, Sunday.

• 10 months later...

The Mirror have recently started sending out the Worthy Welly, a weekly email newsletter about the festival. It’s included 5 questions, with the answers following the week after. 
Here are last week’s questions: 

1. Who were the first band to headline Glastonbury four times? Coldplay @waltere

2. Why does the festival take a break roughly every five years? For a fallow year due to licensing restrictions / to allow the ground to recover  

3. In what year did Bob Dylan make his one and only appearance at Glastonbury? 1998 @waltere

4. Who was the first Beatle to appear at Glastonbury?

5. How much did a Glastonbury ticket cost in 1993? 

The answers in this week’s email were clearly not the right ones. As far as I’m aware the first band to headline the festival 4 times wasn’t 1994 and a ticket didn’t cost £5m in 1993. 
So over to you lot. 

Edited by blutarsky