The Glastonbury festival quiz

Crazyfool01

It's Steve Lamacq - although I'm not sure he actually showed up.  We wandered off to watch Marcus Du Sautoy so one of our lot (who was disgusted that we'd be going to a maths lecture at a festival) wandered up to see what the Crows Nest was like.  We got distracted and never got as far as Marcus Du Sautoy, and he claims he found the Crows Nest but there was no sign of Lamacq, contrary to what Twitter had told him.

21 hours ago, The Toxic Avenger said:

It's Steve Lamacq - although I'm not sure he actually showed up.  We wandered off to watch Marcus Du Sautoy so one of our lot (who was disgusted that we'd be going to a maths lecture at a festival) wandered up to see what the Crows Nest was like.  We got distracted and never got as far as Marcus Du Sautoy, and he claims he found the Crows Nest but there was no sign of Lamacq, contrary to what Twitter had told him.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:28 PM, ian the worm said:

Lamo? 

Yep - although I didn't realise he had been a no show. 

Over to either of you two. 

3 hours ago, The Toxic Avenger said:

Cheers Ian.  Here's a question that's so easy, it's almost not a question, but which I nevertheless spent the past three years clueless about.

In the Theatre and Circus area, there are a load of venues with names like 'The Gateway Riser.'  Why 'riser?'

Isn't a riser a low stage.  When bands set up on a stage they also sometimes have a small raised area for the drums, which is also a riser.  Just high enough to rise above everyone else.

14 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Isn't a riser a low stage.  When bands set up on a stage they also sometimes have a small raised area for the drums, which is also a riser.  Just high enough to rise above everyone else.

You got it.  Whenever I saw those stages listed in the programme, I always wondered why they'd call them that, so it was a mini-eureka moment when someone asked me to help set up a drum-kit on a 'riser' last year

Over to you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Going back in time for this one. In nineteen seventy something Michael Eavis secured a bank loan to enable Arabella Churchill and others to organise a festival in aid of the United Nations Year of the Child.  What year and who headlined?