The Variety Bazaar. Will it be held next fallow year?

Ragingbunion93

With 2020 being an enforced fallow year, I think it would make sense for Emily and Michael to begin planning their rumored Variety Bazaar to help recover from the financial blow of COVID-19 whilst still giving Worthy Farm a break in 2023/24. If it were to go ahead, should it be similar in scope to Glastonbury, or a different sort of thing altogether? 

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I know your reasonably well connected, but is this just logical thinking or something you’ve heard? 

Logical. I'm really not well connected, at least not directly, and the few things that may filter down would tend to be in person at other events so won't be hearing anything for a while.

Just can't see that any likelihood that they would choose to give up another years income so soon, given that quite a few of the costs (over 100 full time staff at this point) will continue even with the festival cancelled. The govt scheme may help but won't last forever.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Logical. I'm really not well connected, at least not directly, and the few things that may filter down would tend to be in person at other events so won't be hearing anything for a while.

Just can't see that any likelihood that they would choose to give up another years income so soon, given that quite a few of the costs (over 100 full time staff at this point) will continue even with the festival cancelled. The govt scheme may help but won't last forever.

thanks for the explanation. :) 

I'm sure that will make a fair few people happy that there is possibly another five years in a row before another fallow year!

amazing to think there are over 100 full time staff even when the festival isn’t on! 

image.png.4766752e9411dc4c43a3cd219fd9cd6b.png

The effect of a fallow year vs a festival year..

I was wrong on the employee numbers - they had 146 in the year containing the 2017 festival, but "only" carried 23 through the fallow year. Still a decent chunk of wages though.

Edited by incident

7 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I know what you mean, tho there are a few bits and pieces to suggest it was - such as the Longleat thing.

A friend who works at the festival said that at the 2017 festival he saw Lord (Marquiss?) Bath arrive on site to have a look around, took one step out of the site Landrover and said something along the lines of 'Fuck that' got back in and was driven back off site :)

11 minutes ago, paulshane said:

A friend who works at the festival said that at the 2017 festival he saw Lord (Marquiss?) Bath arrive on site to have a look around, took one step out of the site Landrover and said something along the lines of 'Fuck that' got back in and was driven back off site :)

I'm pretty sure it was the 2016 festival - which makes more sense anyway. 2017 was lovely, 2016 was a warzone.

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm pretty sure it was the 2016 festival - which makes more sense anyway. 2017 was lovely, 2016 was a warzone.

ah, you're right, I couldn't remember which year it was, but it was the most recent muddy one :) (they all blur into one everntaually :) )

21 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I never believed this was real and I still don't now. In ten years it'll be like the monorail.

the Arcadia or Block9 organisers (can't remember which) said that they had visited the proposed site, so I'm fairly sure it was real at some point, but presumably in very early stages, and they never got beyond that.

7 hours ago, sadimmock said:

I wonder if they might think about doing this as a one-off small event in the winter (would probably have to be an indoor event without camping etc). Just a few regular acts etc. Allows them to have an event in the 50th year and get some cash in. 

The problem is they would need to start planning it months in advance and with no clear end in sight for the current situation I would think it’s a non starter. 

Edited by DareToDibble