Attending festivals after Coronavirus

CBGB

Attending festivals after Coronavirus  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still plan on attending festivals after pandemic ends?

• Yes, I still plan to attend festivals
    • Yes, I still plan to attend festivals, but fewer of them (financial reasons)
    • Yes, I still plan to attend festivals, but fewer of them (travelling discomfort)
    • Yes, I still plan to attend festivals, but fewer of them (other reasons)
    • Maybe, it all depends on the festival itself
    • No, I don't plan to attend festivals

So, I was wondering about this last couple of days.
Considering we still don't know when this pandemic will end, and how many more festivals
will be postponed/cancelled - what is your plan for the future?
I know this depends on numerous things, from traveling costs after Corona to possible full shutdown
of specific events, but still...I'm curious to see how other festival goers "breathe"...

Personally, I still plan on attending festivals (those which won't be fully cancelled), but probably
not all of which I wanted couple of months ago...

27 minutes ago, CBGB said:

@Brave Sir Robin I guess my question was aimed for the next couple of months (once pandemic ends and countries open the borders, vaccine is not gonna be in use for at least a year)

i was basically wondering would this quarantine make people go to festivals even more

I think overall it will. But it shouldn't. Personally i think they should be banned until a treatment or vaccination are available

The unnecessary spread that would happen, especially if surfaces are the main way, would contribute to overwhelming the NHS. 

On 3/30/2020 at 11:18 AM, efcfanwirral said:

I think overall it will. But it shouldn't. Personally i think they should be banned until a treatment or vaccination are available

The unnecessary spread that would happen, especially if surfaces are the main way, would contribute to overwhelming the NHS. 

on top of the vaccination issue, I wonder how many people will actually have the spare cash to be able to afford to go to a festival this year (even if any of them are still happening) - this pandemic is hitting most people hard - I reckon a lot will give this year up as a bad job and look forward to next years offerings

Edited by KinkyKeith
grammar

People may have already bought tickets - for example I have for Green Man.  I've also got hopes for the Upton Blues Fest in mid July, which is a free festival - you only have to pay for camping, though you can go free each day if you don't camp.

I prefer just doing one a year. 3 in 2018 in three different countries felt like too much (even if Mad Cool was just one day and the one I went to in Milan was just a big outdoor gig pretending it was festival). So when things resume, it probably won't change much.

Though I do agree the money is going to be a big barrier. I'd like to potentially see this lead to ticket prices being reduced to compensate for a potential collapse in consumer spending but that's perhaps just not being realistic.

I've written off festivals for this Summer. Going to work on making the garden to be as nice a play to be as it can -. I just can't imagine being in a packed field any time soon. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised

Quite a few of the bigger festivals -?Glasto, Isle of Wight, All Points East, Parklife, Download...etc. - have (responsibly imho) already cancelled/postponed well ahead of time ( the latest I’ve heard is Sidmouth Folk Week, which is relatively late in the calendar). Lots of smaller fests  (& tours) cancelled/postponed too. 

So I’m wondering about others like Latitude, Womad , Y Not and so on, which are within a similar timeframe but say they are ‘monitoring the situation’ while still selling tickets. Is this just a cynical way of getting the money in, in the hope that most will accept the rollover option when they (inevitably surely) cancel? Or is it just me that’s being the cynic here?

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why wouldn’t you go to festivals after this is all over?

maybe you've lost your job and it's gonna take you a while to recover

maybe you're not comfortable to be in large groups until a vaccine is tested and produced massively

maybe you wanna avoid certain countries cause you think second/third wave could come back

i don't know, that's why i posted a poll

15 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why wouldn’t you go to festivals after this is all over?

in China, attendances for any and all 'going out' - gigs, restaurants, anything - are down significantly since the lockdown ended.

For anything which is 'a gathering', there will be no immediate bounce-back.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

in China, attendances for any and all 'going out' - gigs, restaurants, anything - are down significantly since the lockdown ended.

As this guy says in an american context

On 4/9/2020 at 7:14 AM, Neil said:

I had an opinion things like gigs or sports events with crowds will be among the last to be restored. This is an event that will have destroyed a lot of people's confidence for wanting to mingle with other people even before we take into account the economic hit that means people might not afford to drop big cash on going to them.

Much as I'd still like to go to these things, I can accept these won't just suddenly be back the day after this fucking virus recedes as a risk.

• 3 weeks later...