People on Furlough....

Peroni

14 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Seems silly that a company can’t switch the status of an employee. 

Countless business examples of why someone status may need switching 

I know, it's absolutely mad and stupid for a scheme that's designed to preserve businesses.

Just to show how stupid it is, if i furlough myself so I can be paid, I can't be paid because paying me requires me to work.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I know, it's absolutely mad and stupid for a scheme that's designed to preserve businesses.

Just to show how stupid it is, if i furlough myself so I can be paid, I can't be paid because paying me requires me to work.

I think Ltd company sole employees are allowed to do necessary admin work. That must include payroll

9 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

I think Ltd company sole employees are allowed to do necessary admin work. That must include payroll

Unfortunately not. They're allowed to do statutory filings - which is a different thing.

That's stuff like the obligatory tax returns and company filings to companies house, and not 'normal work' such as running the payroll.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Someone who’s furloughed...?

that would be taking the piss out of the scheme, and there's already lots of similar ways I can take the piss out the scheme without involving anyone else.

I'm attempting to find an angle that doesn't take the piss out of the scheme and keeps me fully within the law without the possibility of any comeback.

Can anyone offer any advice for my situation, as I'm struggling to get any answers.

We're a Ltd company of two people (a guesthouse, forced to close), myself as director, my wife as staff.  We have been closed for refurbishments since New Year and were due to open 28/3, last weekend.  We've not paid ourselves since November '19.

I'm assuming I can't furlough myself, but what would my wife's eligibility be?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by fatyeti24

12 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Can anyone offer any advice for my situation, as I'm struggling to get any answers.

We're a Ltd company of two people (a guesthouse, forced to close), myself as director, my wife as staff.  We have been closed for refurbishments since New Year and were due to open 28/3, last weekend.  We've not paid ourselves since November '19.

I'm assuming I can't furlough myself, but what would my wife's eligibility be?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

your wife is very definitely eligible if she's not a director (no one seem to know what the score is if a director) - as long as you haven't notified HMRC that she's no longer an employee (for over that time when she's not been paid).

For her entitlement see 'employees whose pay varies' at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme#work-out-what-you-can-claim

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

PS: one option might be for your accountant to run your payroll, so you can furlough yourself.

Ironically, a couple of weeks ago I had them refund the cost of running my payroll over the last few months as there hadn't been one needed.  I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me!  The link you posted says I can use the equivalent month from last year or an average over the 19/20 tax year so hopefully I'll be OK.

Hey @eFestivals- here's a thought. You can employ someone who knows what they're doing but is furloughed and next year when you get the Glasto tickets for the competition, why don't you offer one of those to the lucky "intern", that way you're not playing the system and someone has no ticket stress? I wouldn't object and I doubt many would. 

Edited by Superscally

48 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Hey @eFestivals- here's a thought. You can employ someone who knows what they're doing but is furloughed and next year when you get the Glasto tickets for the competition, why don't you offer one of those to the lucky "intern", that way you're not playing the system and someone has no ticket stress? I wouldn't object and I doubt many would. 

all sorts of problems with that unfortunately. Someone who is furloughed can't then be employed elsewhere - where even 'voluntary' is likely to be deemed outside of the rules (once they get round to writing some clear rules ;)).

And competition tickets are only given to be used for a fair competition. I've asked in the past about slanting the competition entry rules to benefit efestivals and (unsurprisingly) was told 'no'.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

your wife is very definitely eligible if she's not a director (no one seem to know what the score is if a director) - as long as you haven't notified HMRC that she's no longer an employee (for over that time when she's not been paid).

For her entitlement see 'employees whose pay varies' at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme#work-out-what-you-can-claim

Thanks Neil. About to sort out for my small business. 1 p/t employee on variable hours, plus me. I don’t count it seems.