People on Furlough....

Peroni

10 hours ago, Quark said:

Fair enough.  Suspect I'm in a minority but I'm just booking stuff anyway and keeping them all in the bank for later, but will make sure I'm going through egigs if they're available 

Same... 2021 diary is looking the same as 2020, which went in the bin, with a few extras 

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Nope. Have been using the same hosting company for 20 years. I did use AWS for a little bit of extra capacity but dumped that earlier this year after upgrading the main server.

Is that the most cost effective way? AWS is super cheap, we’ve got massive document databases on there for pennies. Is it the traffic? 

So. I'm going back for an office shift tomorrow. Work have been absolutely brilliant throughout this. Was told it's entirely up to me, no pressure, and I could stay off until the start of August if I liked. If I want to work from home they will find me a laptop and some work to do. Got to bite the bullet at some point though right. Kind of psyched myself up over the weekend for going back tomorrow. The longer I leave it the worse it will be.

However, as I said at the start of all of this, "This thing's still going to be around in three months isn't it. What then?", and here we are over three months later...I'm still deemed "at risk" even if it is the lowest level, plus with an elderly parent at home. Have to admit I am still a tad anxious to say the least.

My first day back tomorrow too, although thankfully I don't have any extra worries such as being at risk

First couple of shifts are fine, still closed so it's just training and stuff. And trying to clear up any fuck ups that have been made while closed. We open on Friday, then my first shift with the public is Saturday. Going to be very weird. We're "full" this weekend (as full as we can be now with restrictions in place) and we have supposedly done a lot to warn guests of the changes (youth hostel, but now with no communal spaces, eg kitchen, lounges) but I know there will still be some pricks who'll kick off about it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having worked from home for 6 weeks, furloughed for 8, now working from home part time from start of july till mid sept.

My college are going to try and bring back admin staff into the offices on a part time rota basis from Sept 14th onwards...

• 1 month later...

I should be OK 🤞 and could afford a bit of a drop in income if I had to take shorter hours over the winter. I've not worked my full hours since being back and that's during the peak season so it's been nice getting that topped up. Quite a few of my colleagues will be fucked though without some sort of scheme

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

So who's jointing me back on furlough? Or is there anyone who never left it?

I've never left it - although have been working a little each day (flexible furlough) - and am extending for the extra month, I think.

I need to look into the full consequences, such as whether it would lose the company the £1k 'bonus' promised for January.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I've never left it - although have been working a little each day (flexible furlough) - and am extending for the extra month, I think.

I need to look into the full consequences, such as whether it would lose the company the £1k 'bonus' promised for January.

Aye technically I never left it I guess. I think I've been topped up every week even if it's just been a couple of hours

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

So who's jointing me back on furlough? Or is there anyone who never left it?

I am. I was furloughed last week, then this week has to work 1 day as originally the furlough rule for November was we had to work a minimum on 20% of our contracted hours.

I'm back in work next week though as the pubs in Wales are opening back up.

My partner works for the Ambulance Service and is pretty low when her friends contact her to say that they are now  going to be having  a full year off work .  Some of whom are financially better off on Furlough as they have had no commuting costs.

45 minutes ago, ivan said:

My partner works for the Ambulance Service and is pretty low when her friends contact her to say that they are now  going to be having  a full year off work .  Some of whom are financially better off on Furlough as they have had no commuting costs.

it's how the cookie crumbles, unfortunately.

Another way of looking at it could be that at the end of that year she'll still have a secure job, while it's likely that plenty on furlough will be collecting UC and trying to survive.

I've got public service workers in my house, and weirdly if they worked in the neighbouring council they'd be off work as their service points would be closed. But where they work is still open so they're still working.

I got lucky. I was furloughed for about 4 months on full pay and then got called back to work (from home) because the project I am working on is one of the only ones in the company still deemed important.  All the others on Furlough, I think it's about 8 people, have been made redundant :(

But it leaves my job feeling a bit precarious. There are now only 2 people in my team; me and my boss. We used to be a team of about 15!

I've started job hunting. I've already had a couple of interviews and one role is looking a real possibility. Feel a bit guilty because the company have stood by me, and it's been a good job over the years, and I'd be leaving my boss in an either weirder position, but I also think it's the right time for self preservation. 

On 11/8/2020 at 12:12 PM, uscore said:

I got lucky. I was furloughed for about 4 months on full pay and then got called back to work (from home) because the project I am working on is one of the only ones in the company still deemed important.  All the others on Furlough, I think it's about 8 people, have been made redundant :(

But it leaves my job feeling a bit precarious. There are now only 2 people in my team; me and my boss. We used to be a team of about 15!

I've started job hunting. I've already had a couple of interviews and one role is looking a real possibility. Feel a bit guilty because the company have stood by me, and it's been a good job over the years, and I'd be leaving my boss in an either weirder position, but I also think it's the right time for self preservation. 

Check your redundancy T&C’s if you think you might get made redundant. Could be walking away from a decent pay off if you apply for new roles and leave by resignation rather than redundancy. Might be worth holding off a few months. 

I deal with a lot of contractors in the construction industry through work and the extended Furlough may cause far more problems for the economy.

Speaking to one recently and they said they were purposefully telling clients they were booked up until April for jobs ( April start dates agreed ) and they were going to wind down their current commitments so that they could take a few months of work starting December and claim Furlough