People on Furlough....

Peroni

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

That’s awesome! How long was the commute?

I’m currently cycling every other day and about 20k each time. So far it’s pretty much sent me to sleep the minute I get home ha

It was 10 miles each way so just over half an hour. But I ended up building it up so it was 20 to 30 miles into work most days in summer and 20 to 70 miles a couple of time a week on the way home. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2020 at 4:25 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m technically on Furlough, waiting to start a new job but can’t until WFH ends.

What I want to know is what we will we all come out of this with? For me it’s the following:

I’ve actually got a semi decent tan, I hate sunbathing when I’m on holiday, for me it’s a waste of time. But with nothing to do and the decent weather lately I’ve spent a lot of time just sitting in the sun 

I’ve been exercising every morning and I set myself the challenge to be able to plank for 5 minutes, at the moment I’m at 4.

My drinking has gone through the roof, but I’ve also developed a very decent bar stocked with lots of different types of drink. I basically used to just drink beer but now I’m also a gin aficionado, I’ve got a decent stock of red white and rose wine as well. I’ve got a home brew brewing that will give me 23 litres of beer when it’s done as well.

And I think that’s about it!

I’ve been picking up the exercise and reading. Tues to fri I run every morning then do weights. Friday I ran 10k.

i’ve also got all the ‘clever’ books off my shelf and am determined to read them all. Started with psychology now onto a book about Brexit.

still not learnt a language though...

25 minutes ago, Homer said:

I’ve been picking up the exercise and reading. Tues to fri I run every morning then do weights. Friday I ran 10k.

i’ve also got all the ‘clever’ books off my shelf and am determined to read them all. Started with psychology now onto a book about Brexit.

still not learnt a language though...

I'm ploughing my way through a doorstop of a book I bought on the history of political thought.  Promised myself to at least make a decent dent in it before i shift to something lighter for a bit

4 hours ago, Quark said:

I'm ploughing my way through a doorstop of a book I bought on the history of political thought.  Promised myself to at least make a decent dent in it before i shift to something lighter for a bit

Any good? I’m currently reading this. It’s like I hate myself! I’m making good progress In the week when I don’t drink; but it’s not happening at weekends after a night on the booze!

19D2F137-FACB-4150-85B2-0A4919B74F7A.jpeg

On 4/22/2020 at 8:09 AM, Neil said:

just made my furlough claim for my employee (me). For once with HMRC it was a painless process.

and the furlough money has been paid by HMRC. :) 

20 hours ago, Homer said:

Any good? I’m currently reading this. It’s like I hate myself! I’m making good progress In the week when I don’t drink; but it’s not happening at weekends after a night on the booze!

It's hard going, but it is interesting.  In medieval period at the moment, so really tracing the development from politics as it was understood in Greece and Rome to the questions about the lines between papal/church authority and ruling authority of kings.

I won't lie, it's a touch on the dry side.  But understanding that development is interesting.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:07 PM, dotdash79 said:

I lost 3 stone from riding, biggest change was when I was commuting by bike 5 days a week and really trimmed down.

it will make you want to eat everything though. 

Man, does it ever! I may have lost the plot a bit and have been doing 25-30k a day on my bike, with more at weekends (I'm still working from home). I'm lucky that I can bike to ten minutes and be out in farmland where nobody is about, so I can bimble around for a while without seeing a soul.

But I can't stop eating, and I'm also 'making up' for the additional calories burnt by just drinking more beer too, so my net weight loss is marginal 😕 I'm on course to have done 1000k this month though. I haven't done 1000k on a push bike in the last few years I don't think, let alone in a month!

It has shown up that a ten year old mountain bike bought a few years back for £50 might not be the right tool - the rear sprockety bit is now slipping under any heavy use and weirdly the handlebar grips have almost worn through toi the metal.

but it's certainly been a good mental health exercise for me, as well as a physical one.

After 5 weeks of doing nothing (but lucky to be doing it in a beautiful place with plenty of outdoor space and still getting 80% of my salary) I've signed up to help out with a meal delivery service that's been organised locally. The local parish centre (who've been really good at organising stuff. I would have signed up for something earlier, but had symptoms. And then until the meals on wheels started were OK for volunteers) have got access to a school kitchen and are cooking lunch every day for any one isolating, or are vulnerable for any other reason. I'll be delivering said meals a couple of days a week. Be nice to have some structure, and a valid reason to get out and about, even if it is only for a couple of hours.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

DA13D2E7-3B28-4A04-AF92-4D39001C6479.jpeg

May just be bad timing at the time you screenshotted this but there has been a bit of a fuss kicked up that testing and PPE is being prioritised by Hancock for England and Wales/Scotland aren't getting their quotas. Just one of the many things that will hopefully be readdressed once this is all over.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

What’s prompted that mate? You pleased or getting into furlough life? Is Nads still working part-timeV

Nah she furloughed too. Increased demand at work caused by relaxation of industry guidelines and problems put off coming home to roost. Love the time.at home, but will be nice to earn a full wage as well as helping the aminals too 🙂

• Upvote 1

So this furlough scheme, potentially gonna be cut already. 

Government saying Britons are addicted to furlough scheme. I agree yesterday I sold my T.V and pimped out my roommate for some more juicy furlough ;)

But seriously I thought the aim was to protect jobs and no Rishi Sunak wants us to look for new ones, something I tried for weeks before Lockdown and during , as corona was already affecting my job, work at a cinema. Which if plans are similar to Ireland will be the last thing to open. Or if opened in June, they'll be no business and I'll have no hours. I'm already gonna feel financial ramifications from corona for years.

Surely so many in the same boat and surely that is unsustainable. 

I’ve been furloughed since Monday after 6 weeks of working at home as things for me to do are starting to dry up.

Work are going to review it every three weeks..but hopefully I won’t be on lockdown for all of it as I’m starting to climb the walls at home! 

I've been having problems replying in this thread.

Did you get my DM @Spindles? I've been trying to reply to you here since your reply to me at about page 4.

I'm off of work but I'm not technically furloughed I don't think.

As in, I'm not off of work because there is no work and the government are subsidising my wages. I'm off of work because underlying conditions mean if I catch the lurgy I'm at higher risk.

Spoke to my line manager yesterday and apparently I'm still on Special Leave 'till almost the end of May unless I hear otherwise.

Beginning to wonder if I'll be one of those who finds out that there is no job left for me at the end of this.