People on Furlough....

Peroni

19 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

It won’t save them anything overall but it will save a bill for a few months for them. 

MultiBillion pound global outfit, they’ll spend that on a dinner for the bosses

Had it confirmed today that I am furloughed (along with everyone else who does the same role as me around the country) from Monday. I have to say my company have been amazing. They're topping it up to the full 100% pay, they went ahead with the annual payrise and I actually got my bonus in my April payslip, too. They've near enough guaranteed everyones job security which was a concern. The benefit of working for a global company I guess.

It's been amazing to hear though as I've heard of a lot of companies going about this in much less professional ways. 

Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to entertain myself for about 3 or 4 months...

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Had it confirmed today that I am furloughed (along with everyone else who does the same role as me around the country) from Monday. I have to say my company have been amazing. They're topping it up to the full 100% pay, they went ahead with the annual payrise and I actually got my bonus in my April payslip, too. They've near enough guaranteed everyones job security which was a concern. The benefit of working for a global company I guess.

It's been amazing to hear though as I've heard of a lot of companies going about this in much less professional ways. 

Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to entertain myself for about 3 or 4 months...

Wow that's the dream!! Looks like your company belongs on the nice list! 

36 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Wow that's the dream!! Looks like your company belongs on the nice list! 

Before furloughing us they essentially said if we could only work 1 hour a day as we had to look after our families they didn’t mind as their staffs health and well-being is more important than anything else. 

They’re brilliant. It’s actually made us all even more loyal to the company.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I’ve been working full time, taken on my the company but didn’t get round to signing the contract for long term employment before all this happened. I was being paid (quite well) by the agency that placed me in the roll. I have no idea what I am entitled to & obviously now haven’t been paid in a week since there are no schools open. Not sure what to do to be honest. Any insight would be great.

18 hours ago, Bisque said:

I’ve been working full time, taken on my the company but didn’t get round to signing the contract for long term employment before all this happened. I was being paid (quite well) by the agency that placed me in the roll. I have no idea what I am entitled to & obviously now haven’t been paid in a week since there are no schools open. Not sure what to do to be honest. Any insight would be great.

not sure if it helps you (I'm not sure from what you've posted), but I believe it's the case that contractors whose contract ends can have the contract renewed (if the company will do it) and then use the furlough scheme. 

If that fits your circumstances it might be worth talking to the company to see if that's an option they're prepared to do to help you out.

Quick question on the 3 week situation. My mate runs a business where he employs staff. If he puts them on furlough but realises he needs them more than he thought and takes them back off after the minimum 3 weeks.... is it then possible to furlough them again or is it a one time only thing and once you take them off furlough you can't put them back on?

33 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Quick question on the 3 week situation. My mate runs a business where he employs staff. If he puts them on furlough but realises he needs them more than he thought and takes them back off after the minimum 3 weeks.... is it then possible to furlough them again or is it a one time only thing and once you take them off furlough you can't put them back on?

As long as it's three weeks it can be done repeatedly

I'm furloughed and normally do 45+ hours a week. My contract just says "35 hours a week + overtime Monday-Sunday", although it does mention a "15 minute paid morning break" later on. 

I'm thinking of applying to fruit picking jobs, as it seems like something useful to do.

Any ideas if the fruit picking would disqualify me from the furlough?

Edited by Chawk

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

I'm furloughed and normally do 45+ hours a week. My contract just says "35 hours a week + overtime Monday-Sunday", although it does mention a "15 minute paid morning break" later on. 

I'm thinking of applying to fruit picking jobs, as it seems like something useful to do.

Any ideas if the fruit picking would disqualify me from the furlough?

My company were very clear on “NO paid work” as one of the term when I was furloughed but there have been a lot of time posts to the contrary in here so I don’t think anyone seems to know for sure...

I know some people that are considering some minor DIY & light manual labour work for campsite owners & land lords a day or two a week for beer money & something to do. I’m guessing if it is cash in hand (not legal I am also guessing) then it won’t impact on your furlough?

We were looking at 8 weeks unpaid before the Furlough came in.  Company advised we could take other jobs and we have a very active recruitment board where they are actively recommending jobs we take so I think it really depends on what in your contract.

We have had a number of firms contact our HR department offering roles for people to take paid and as volunteers also...

i'm joining the furlough club from Monday too, as usual my company are not giving anything extra.  I'll use the time wisely - I have a list of jobs to do at home, and I will probably get my cv up to date too.  I wish i could decide at 50 years old what i want to do when I grow up!

Anyone worked out if furloughed people can work? Vaguely looking at fruit picking starting in May but still not clear. Have read that I can work but outside of my contracted hours; and that I can work with my boss's consent. (We were told we couldn't work full stop when we were furloughed.)

Tried volunteering but they seem to be flooded!

On 4/5/2020 at 6:08 PM, bexj said:

I wish i could decide at 50 years old what i want to do when I grow up!

Made me smile :)  I'm 49 and was always in the same boat (until I got the job I wanted to do when I grow up, I finally got the job, just never did the growing up despite what the mirror tries to convince me)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Anyone worked out if furloughed people can work? Vaguely looking at fruit picking starting in May but still not clear. Have read that I can work but outside of my contracted hours; and that I can work with my boss's consent. (We were told we couldn't work full stop when we were furloughed.)

Tried volunteering but they seem to be flooded!

Government advice currently is:

Working for a different employer

If contractually allowed, your employees are permitted to work for another employer whilst you have placed them on furlough.

From this link:  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme#when-your-employees-are-on-furlough

If your contract allows, you may undertake other employment while your current employer has placed you on furlough, and this will not affect the grant that they can claim under the scheme. You will need to be able to return to work for the employer that has placed you on furlough if they decide to stop furloughing you, and you must be able to undertake any training they require while on furlough.

From this link:  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

In short, you can work if your contract allows it.  As furlough often represents a change to peoples contracts, it could be negotiated that fruit picking is allowed.  Alternatively, you could just do that without asking.  It seems the government doesn't have an issue - it would be your employer who might, and how would they know / would they even care?  If the company claims the grant, they are required to give it to you (no deductions) so you'd get your 80% plus whatever you earn fruit picking.  Unless your main job is also fruit picking and thus represents a conflict, there remains only the moral issue (using taxpayer support whilst earning another income). 

Edited by EasyUserName
Missed a part in the post, corrected the error

1 hour ago, whitehorses said:

Furloughed as of the weekend. Bit scary. 

I think it depends on the person and their situation.  I know some people who are loving it.  Baking, DIY, that sort of thing.  Others I know are going mad, either because of circumstance (small property, limited outside space) or for lack of a routine such as work.

Best of luck with it, and keep on top of your mental health. 

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Just been told that our company (software) is going to a 4 day week (and 80% of pay) for the next 3 months.

Could be much worse of course but still annoying. My worry is that how do I know in 3 months it won't be extended for another 3 months, etc.

Thats the thing ... I’m on 12 weeks off full pay ... I’m very fortunate in that respect ... but at the end what happens ? I go back into a similar environment to the one I just left ? But hopefully with better nhs capacity at that point ... at some point I’m going to get it ? I’ve just got to hope my preexisting condition doesn’t cause me serious problems ... aargh