People on Furlough....

Peroni

1 minute ago, EasyUserName said:

We've been told that when (not if) HMRC come round to audit, they'll be looking at internal emails, documents etc.  Everyone has been told if you're off, no work at all. 

I'd not want to be in an audit having to explain how project documents came from people who were on furlong etc. 

Couple of my colleagues just said they are allowed to work if it's under their own steam, so they are going to carry on doing bits. Really hope they don't cost me my pay!

I work for a major retail HQ and I've been furloughed until further notice on 80% (no top up for me) with a review possibly end of April. Company have pretty much furloughed anyone not deemed critical, although I do wonder why my particular was not kept on but no point even arguing with them tbh... 

I am thankfully I have the 80% which is better than most but I was struggling with my 100% salary as I took a step back on role level last year to move forward in new slight new direction so pay wasn't great, glad I can defer the mortgage as that should give a bit of breathing space at least!!

also found out 2 days ago my mum, dad and brother all have covid symptoms and are self isolating :( one other brother lives with them too so he'll probably get it too.... it's not been the best week :( 

• Upvote 1

Just had a video chat with my boss, all of our guys, bar me, him and two others are being furloughed as of Monday. We do IT stuff, specifically telecoms, and as most of our customers are shut, people aren't calling in for support.

More problematic is that they aren't calling -anyone- so the revenue we generate from the call packages we sell isn't there any more, which is a worry.

16 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Ask them to put you on furlough until it’s over then put you through to redundancy afterwards. It would save them money for now. 

I have. Won’t save them any money, they’d have to pay me all my notice anyway but would make me more money! Not sure that’s right though given it’s taxpayer £ 

4 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

We've been told that when (not if) HMRC come round to audit, they'll be looking at internal emails, documents etc.  Everyone has been told if you're off, no work at all. 

I'd not want to be in an audit having to explain how project documents came from people who were on furlong etc. 

Let’s hope they do!

3 hours ago, Flysheet said:

I have. Won’t save them any money, they’d have to pay me all my notice anyway but would make me more money! Not sure that’s right though given it’s taxpayer £ 

It won’t save them anything overall but it will save a bill for a few months for them. 

We’ve had a company conference call dropped into our calendars tomorrow but we’ve already had the heads up that my role is one of the ones likely to be furloughed. I believe my company are going to top it up to 100% as well.

My major concern is pubs are likely to be shut until late summer. As I work for a brewery this is very likely to mean I’m off until that time. Doesn’t the government scheme only run for 3 months? Majorly concerned about being let go at the end of that if so!

I dropped back in here after day 1 of being on Furlough leave,  and I can see I'm in the same boat as a few of you.  Really keen to know what/how we all manage though it 

I'm also sorry to hear about those in different circumstances.  I was facing a pay reduction before the scheme was announced so happy to be Furloughed now as it means less of a drop, but appreciate not everyone is in same boat.

I am in the camp of missing work though, will take some time to get used to new routine....

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

We’ve had a company conference call dropped into our calendars tomorrow but we’ve already had the heads up that my role is one of the ones likely to be furloughed. I believe my company are going to top it up to 100% as well.

My major concern is pubs are likely to be shut until late summer. As I work for a brewery this is very likely to mean I’m off until that time. Doesn’t the government scheme only run for 3 months? Majorly concerned about being let go at the end of that if so!

For now, but can be extended if needed.

We aren't planning on re opening any sites until August at the earliest

I've just been pulled aside at work. Key worker (Home Office) so still at it, however, I have heart disease and also had a stroke a few years ago, so they are wondering if I should be furloughed (I work in a very public facing role).

Thing is though, what if I do self isolate for 2/4/12 weeks? What then? This things still going to be around afterwards isn't it! And as I also live with an elderly relative who is taking no notice of the guidelines and is still going out shopping everyday, it kind of makes self isolating a pointless exercise to my mind.

The government advice has just been confusing over the last few weeks. Three weeks ago I was fully expecting to be one of the people getting a letter from the NHS. They were stating that anyone who gets offered a free flu jab every year was going to get one. Same for people with heart disease. Now that list is a lot shorter and they are saying that you should only worry about heart disease if you're pregnant(!) so I'm really not sure what to think. (Does anyone actually know anyone who got one of these letters?)

The British Heart Foundation website seems to think I shouldn't be at work:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health

Really bewildered as to my best course of action right now. Levels of work have really slacked off, dozens of us sitting around doing next to nothing all day, and I can see redundancies being considered if this carries on, so I still want to be seen as keen.

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I've just been pulled aside at work. Key worker (Home Office) so still at it, however, I have heart disease and also had a stroke a few years ago, so they are wondering if I should be furloughed (I work in a very public facing role).

Thing is though, what if I do self isolate for 2/4/12 weeks? What then? This things still going to be around afterwards isn't it! And as I also live with an elderly relative who is taking no notice of the guidelines and is still going out shopping everyday, it kind of makes self isolating a pointless exercise to my mind.

The government advice has just been confusing over the last few weeks. Three weeks ago I was fully expecting to be one of the people getting a letter from the NHS. They were stating that anyone who gets offered a free flu jab every year was going to get one. Same for people with heart disease. Now that list is a lot shorter and they are saying that you should only worry about heart disease if you're pregnant(!) so I'm really not sure what to think. (Does anyone actually know anyone who got one of these letters?)

The British Heart Foundation website seems to think I shouldn't be at work:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health

Really bewildered as to my best course of action right now. Levels of work have really slacked off, dozens of us sitting around doing next to nothing all day, and I can see redundancies being considered if this carries on, so I still want to be seen as keen.

Is the Home Office your employer? Or agency?

If you cant work from home or they find a role you can do from home, they should be giving you paid special leave, that's happening elsewhere in the civil service

..and in the private sector as well.  Day 1 of the nation taking this seriously I was pulled aside and told they considered me high risk so if I had any concerns to let them know.  I'd booked up my annual leave to have a fair amount of time off and they've furloughed me now.  Considering your health problems I'd seriously consider furlough if it is available to you.

Stay safe MrZ, you're one of the good guys.

Sorry, just dropping in this thread after getting into running and cooking during my furlough time! 

Baring in mind my usual working hours differ day to day shift work, how would it be viewed if I  took on a second job in this time? I saw somebody say outside my ‘usual working hours’ but feel I could probably bend my unreliable rota to my benefit. 

Already doing some volunteering, and there’s only so much Premier League Years I can watch. 

in case it's useful for anyone, my accountant has just told me that a director on PAYE who is furloughed is still able to do bookkeeping & payroll.

From my convo with HMRC I'm not entirely sure i believe he's correct, but it does give me something to point at if I ever get comeback on it, to show i've acted in good faith from professional advice.

27 minutes ago, chemica said:

Sorry, just dropping in this thread after getting into running and cooking during my furlough time! 

Baring in mind my usual working hours differ day to day shift work, how would it be viewed if I  took on a second job in this time? I saw somebody say outside my ‘usual working hours’ but feel I could probably bend my unreliable rota to my benefit. 

Already doing some volunteering, and there’s only so much Premier League Years I can watch. 

Yeah, I have the same issue regarding working hours. I do have pretty regular hours as it happens, but that's by convention rather than contract. Theoretically I could be asked to work any 8 hours out of the 24, although usually within a window from 7am until midnight. A night shift would mean my boss was pretty desperate and would owe me a big favour.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

in case it's useful for anyone, my accountant has just told me that a director on PAYE who is furloughed is still able to do bookkeeping & payroll.

From my convo with HMRC I'm not entirely sure i believe he's correct, but it does give me something to point at if I ever get comeback on it, to show i've acted in good faith from professional advice.

Is posting as Neil rather than eFestivals part of your furlough procedure?

28 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Is posting as Neil rather than eFestivals part of your furlough procedure?

as it happens, yes.

It takes away the rights for some of what i can do, so I can't have a brain fart and do some work by accident.

8 minutes ago, paulshane said:

does this also mean no modding is happening ? :D

nope.

On 4/1/2020 at 7:34 AM, Neil said:

soz, but you're wrong.

There's nothing in what's been said so far that says you can't, but there's shit loads of not-said stuff in what Sunak has allowed published so far.

The full criteria won't be known until the full documentation for the scheme is published, which will be around the end of April.

Until then people are guessing - but if you phone HMRC they'll put you right about what is clear and what has to be guessed at ... and if you guess wrong you get the comeback from guessing wrong.

Do you think the govt has announced a job retention scheme where those who have their jobs retained with govt money are allowed to stop other people getting jobs? I don't. That would be different to every other spend of govt money towards non-working support

I've spoken to HMRC and my accountant. Also...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/business/furlough-can-work-who-claim-furloughed-job-retention-scheme-uk-government-rules-explained-2523854%3famp

Edited by Superscally