guypjfreak

It’s nearly midnight, Watching Radiohead on the pyramid 2017. Just brings back tremendous memories. Once it had finished we just wandered about the site for a few hours.   One of those Glastonbury experiences that are unique to the place. 

For a minute there I lost myself 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

28 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Lots of us also experienced mind numbing boredom after Radiohead in 17. 

That’s a shame, you should have checked a clash finder. I know with only over 80  other stages the choice is limited.  Weren’t  Status Quo doing an unplugged set on the acoustic, complete with banjos and accordions if that’s more your thing? 😉😁.  Can’t beat a bit of quo going folky to relieve mind numbing boredom.  That Radiohead set, to be serious, did divide opinion. 

16 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That’s a shame, you should have checked a clash finder. I know with only over 80  other stages the choice is limited.  Weren’t  Status Quo doing an unplugged set on the acoustic, complete with banjos and accordions if that’s more your thing? 😉😁.  Can’t beat a bit of quo going folky to relieve mind numbing boredom.  That Radiohead set, to be serious, did divide opinion. 

I regret not seeing Flaming Lips. The crowd I was with wanted Radiohead so it was what it was. 😂

35 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Must admit when I saw the Lips on telly it looked tremendous and would have loved to see them. Glastonbury clashes, part of the experience! 

This….

it’s often what you missed not what you saw that is the conversation…

I was lucky enough to be at The Park for Flaming Lips with my daughter… (neither of us had seen them before)

Also, to appease other daughter (and because we had tickets for Hyde Park) we saw Black Eyed Peas rather than Blur…

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I regret not seeing Flaming Lips. The crowd I was with wanted Radiohead so it was what it was. 😂

It's why I am glad I don't go to Glastonbury with a crowd and even if I ever did I would just go off on my own to what I want to watch and arrange to meet later. 

It's bad enough if you have to berate yourself for your own choices but if you ended up at something you don't enjoy when you really wanted to be at something that looks epic later on tv then I'd be so annoyed. 

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I told everyone who was undecided in our group to go see the Lips over Radiohead. I absolutely loved Radiohead's set but knew it wouldn't be for the casual floating voter. Thankfully we all had an awesome night

i did what i had always planned to do when the lineup/clashes came out, which was to catch the first 5-6 songs of Radiohead and then head up to the Park for the Flaming Lips with a nice fresh pint or two - there were a fair few people doing the same, walking past an irate woman shouting at her boyfriend pointing at the stage with Radiohead yelling 'two bloody hours of this, Matthew?' which never fails to tickle me, and still gets used by me to punctuate long boring things 😄

flaming lips were ace, but ive seen them perhaps ten times so i know what to expect - and bringing first timers to see em is a great thing!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

...'two bloody hours of this, Matthew?'...😄

Marvellous. 

I understand it if it's with young kids or (at a push) if it's with your partner but going along to watch something when there's something else you prefer on another stage just to be with your mates baffles me.

25 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

i did what i had always planned to do when the lineup/clashes came out, which was to catch the first 5-6 songs of Radiohead and then head up to the Park for the Flaming Lips with a nice fresh pint or two - there were a fair few people doing the same, walking past an irate woman shouting at her boyfriend pointing at the stage with Radiohead yelling 'two bloody hours of this, Matthew?' which never fails to tickle me, and still gets used by me to punctuate long boring things 😄

flaming lips were ace, but ive seen them perhaps ten times so i know what to expect - and bringing first timers to see em is a great thing!

I thoroughly enjoyed Radiohead, but that's objectively brilliant.

6 hours ago, gigpusher said:

It's why I am glad I don't go to Glastonbury with a crowd and even if I ever did I would just go off on my own to what I want to watch and arrange to meet later. 

It's bad enough if you have to berate yourself for your own choices but if you ended up at something you don't enjoy when you really wanted to be at something that looks epic later on tv then I'd be so annoyed. 

We have always gone with family (myself, wife, daughters + now bf's) and friends that we camp with and have always had loose plans where we might want to meet up.. but tend to set off in our own direction (perhaps in small groups).

in 2015 my youngest and I experimented with "You choose 3 acts that we will go to, and I will Choose 3 acts we will go to.." in an attempt at dad/daughter bonding.. That went tits up when I got the ache after paying full attention to the appalling Clean Bandit, when she sat down visibly bored during the excellent Gaz Coombes..

She chose Kanye and i slept through the 2nd half in a camping chair (I was very very drunk...)

1 minute ago, BlueDaze said:

We have always gone with family (myself, wife, daughters + now bf's) and friends that we camp with and have always had loose plans where we might want to meet up.. but tend to set off in our own direction (perhaps in small groups).

in 2015 my youngest and I experimented with "You choose 3 acts that we will go to, and I will Choose 3 acts we will go to.." in an attempt at dad/daughter bonding.. That went tits up when I got the ache after paying full attention to the appalling Clean Bandit, when she sat down visibly bored during the excellent Gaz Coombes..

She chose Kanye and i slept through the 2nd half in a camping chair (I was very very drunk...)

Yep fair do's to those who do it and do it happily but my seething resentment if I was watching something I thought was shit when something I knew I'd love was on would be too much for anyone to bare. I don't go to Glastonbury with fixed plans but I go with a plan for every situation. I meet up with lots of people there and go with my husband but even with him if we have strong opinions on what we want to see we go our separate ways and meet up afterwards. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Yep fair do's to those who do it and do it happily but my seething resentment if I was watching something I thought was shit when something I knew I'd love was on would be too much for anyone to bare. I don't go to Glastonbury with fixed plans but I go with a plan for every situation. I meet up with lots of people there and go with my husband but even with him if we have strong opinions on what we want to see we go our separate ways and meet up afterwards. 

Me and Mrs c sit down with the clashfinder pre festival and do some serious negotiation but the plans never come to fruition. Usually derailed by seeing something unexpectedly good at a smaller stage. With the years passing we now avoid the charging from one stage to another trying to fit into many bands. Never did the go the separate way thing.  Pacing yourself means the day lasts longer and the late night wanderings more enjoyable 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Me and Mrs c sit down with the clashfinder pre festival and do some serious negotiation but the plans never come to fruition. Usually derailed by seeing something unexpectedly good at a smaller stage. With the years passing we now avoid the charging from one stage to another trying to fit into many bands. Never did the go the separate way thing.  Pacing yourself means the day lasts longer and the late night wanderings more enjoyable 

Mrs P isn't comfy with the big crowds and was nervous with the Stones so we agreed to do our own thing. I spent several hours near the front with Elvis Costello, Primals, then Mick and the lads.  She spent several hours with Steve Winwood, Chase & Status, a Salsa lesson, her pick of the deserted fresh long drops in Glasto Latino, a chat with some random at the Pennard Organic wine tent, and finished her evening with Public Enemy.

She still reckons she had the better time even now 🤣

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Mrs P isn't comfy with the big crowds and was nervous with the Stones so we agreed to do our own thing. I spent several hours near the front with Elvis Costello, Primals, then Mick and the lads.  She spent several hours with Steve Winwood, Chase & Status, a Salsa lesson, her pick of the deserted fresh long drops in Glasto Latino, a chat with some random at the Pennard Organic wine tent, and finished her evening with Public Enemy.

Every year I’m threatened with the Glasto Latino thing. Don’t mind a late night boogie to a Latin band after a few drinks but not one of those lessons, in the daylight and making a dick of myself trying to samba in wellies. Mrs c will eventually win out. As for the big pyramid crowds she is the same, prefers closer to the back of the field which actually isn’t too bad with the excellent sound system now. 

15 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes if you look at my clashfinder before Glastongury it looks impossible and that's because it is. I just tend to make sure that I have plans for if it's raining and I want to be indoors, if I'm tired and want to just sit in front of one stage for a run of acts, If I'm hungry what the best thing is near the best food. I usually have 2 or 3 must sees and roughly 150 like to sees that I can choose between. I have a lot of playlists etc in the run up to Glastonbury so even amongst the lower down acts I usually have tried to listen to a song or 2 and have an idea as to whether they will be for me or not. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, parsonjack said:

And isn't that the beauty of Glastonbury summed up there. 2 people can go and have equally amazing but totally different experiences. I left the Stones and went to Chase & Status and can confirm they were brilliant!

• Upvote 1