guypjfreak

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Must have thought they were on to a winner with the neighbour 🙂 

There was no thinking about it. They were on to a winner. It was the first time that I saw and smoked hash oil. Dope was my only vice when I was 18. well, that and drinking like a bastard. I mostly mixed in second generation Irish company in those days. Heavy drinking was all part of it. 

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

There was no thinking about it. They were on to a winner. It was the first time that I saw and smoked hash oil. Dope was my only vice when I was 18. well, that and drinking like a bastard. I mostly mixed in second generation Irish company in those days. Heavy drinking was all part of it. 

is that when you started your part time gutter inspection.?

17 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Emma Raducanu reaches US open Tennis final as an 18year old ..... Pretty phenomenal achievement to wake up to today 🙂 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/54517113

Just imagine if you'd put money on her to win or even each way... She's amazing and not big headed or anything.. Love her old sons.. 

17 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

is that when you started your part time gutter inspection.?

Oddly enough I did wake up very very cold on a hard surface at about 4am one morning at university. I kind of gently raised my head , to discover that i was lying in a gutter, with two yellow lines leading up to me and away from me. Fortunately it was a loading bay for one of the university buildings, and not a main road. Also fortunate was the fact that it was either a Saturday morning or Sunday morning, as I do remember that I'd been to some function or other connected with the students guild.

I've just remembered something else from those days. I once went to a Physics wine and cheese evening in the first weeks at uni. e was a bloke on my floor who did physics and said 'come along, it'll be free wine'. So, I did. I was not expecting a doctor of Physics lecturer come up to me an ask me something which was English, but may as well have been Russian, and definitely sounded like it was to do with physics. I jus told him straight that I hadn't got a clue what he was on about. Well, he didn't throw me out, but i can't recall much else of that episode. Oher than I ended up in a disco that was being held in some sort of library type thing, and that I was dancing to this;

Oh, one more story - I only managed to get into the 2nd year (I left in the 1st term of the 2nd year) due to an Iranian PHD Maths student / lecturer who I knew going into the maths dept, and changing all my low course work scores to very much higher scores. 

So, the education i got from uni was that it's who you know, not what you know!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

I don't think it's finished but I see your point.. I'll ask tomo old son lol

Hello guy,

Just needed to say that 'Just don't let it piss water down from a height, without it having somewhere to go to and fuck off from'. It actually looks like it might be being drained backwards in the gap between the two properties. This would be 'unconventional' to say the least, but that said, could still be 'accurate' in terms of achieving what it was designed to do (via rear external underground drainage pipes.

Just sayin'

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oddly enough I did wake up very very cold on a hard surface at about 4am one morning at university. I kind of gently raised my head , to discover that i was lying in a gutter, with two yellow lines leading up to me and away from me. Fortunately it was a loading bay for one of the university buildings, and not a main road. Also fortunate was the fact that it was either a Saturday morning or Sunday morning, as I do remember that I'd been to some function or other connected with the students guild.

I've just remembered something else from those days. I once went to a Physics wine and cheese evening in the first weeks at uni. e was a bloke on my floor who did physics and said 'come along, it'll be free wine'. So, I did. I was not expecting a doctor of Physics lecturer come up to me an ask me something which was English, but may as well have been Russian, and definitely sounded like it was to do with physics. I jus told him straight that I hadn't got a clue what he was on about. Well, he didn't throw me out, but i can't recall much else of that episode. Oher than I ended up in a disco that was being held in some sort of library type thing, and that I was dancing to this;

Oh, one more story - I only managed to get into the 2nd year (I left in the 1st term of the 2nd year) due to an Iranian PHD Maths student / lecturer who I knew going into the maths dept, and changing all my low course work scores to very much higher scores. 

@Yoghurt on a Stickplease know that i wasnt suggesting that you spent any time laying in the gutter.....! far from it..

My ill judged comment was supposed to reference your observation to detail (and genuine concern) in @guypjfreakfamily photograph... I should have said Rainwater Downpipe Inspector...

I sincerely hope no offence was taken.? If i could downvote my own posts i would.

Moving swiftly on.... I didnt have the benefit of further education (as so readily displayed in my previous clumsy posts) but do remember shuffling my feet to that particular Tina Charles earworm in Cheeky Pete's, Richmonds finest discotheque...

Another Euro pop classic earworm from around that time helps demonstrate the type of folk that inhabited Cheeky Pete's style establishments the world over...

and running the risk of insulting you further, i imagine you would be rather like the Icelandic bloke (N0 11)... Dancing to your own tune...

I'll get my coat 👀

22 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

@Yoghurt on a Stickplease know that i wasnt suggesting that you spent any time laying in the gutter.....! far from it..

My ill judged comment was supposed to reference your observation to detail (and genuine concern) in @guypjfreakfamily photograph... I should have said Rainwater Downpipe Inspector...

I sincerely hope no offence was taken.? If i could downvote my own posts i would.

Moving swiftly on.... I didnt have the benefit of further education (as so readily displayed in my previous clumsy posts) but do remember shuffling my feet to that particular Tina Charles earworm in Cheeky Pete's, Richmonds finest discotheque...

Another Euro pop classic earworm from around that time helps demonstrate the type of folk that inhabited Cheeky Pete's style establishments the world over...

and running the risk of insulting you further, i imagine you would be rather like the Icelandic bloke (N0 11)... Dancing to your own tune...

I'll get my coat 👀

Hello BlueDaze,

I can assure you that no offence was taken. To be honest, it was only reading your post above that enlightened me to the fact that offence 'could' have been taken. I really just did think that you were just kind of wondering if I'd ever ended up in a gutter - hence my response. 

I wish that I could dance like Mr. Iceland, but alas those days have left me now. Not only that but i think that his snazzy outfit might actually cut my blood circulation, should I ever attempt to get into such a thing.

I wasn't really one to go to disco's in my youth. I mean, I did go to some, but hated the places. still do. I only ever went there because there were few places open after the pubs shut, back in the day. That said, there was a pub that would lock us in until about 2am back then. There were pubs in Digbeth in Birmingham that would go on even longer again. These were the Irish pubs. I was actually in such a packed pub once, which was directly opposite a main police station. Anyway, this bloke ( a stranger) asked me if I'd hold one of my hands out so that he could roll a joint. I duly obliged. Then I turn and see that the bouncers had let in two uniformed police officers, that were heading straight our way. I thought to myself 'Oh, that's fucked it', and fully expected to be arrested alongside this unknown. That didn't happen. The two officers merely walked around us and up to the bar where the landlord already had two pints waiting for them. Then they would leave and go off top the next pub and have a pint there. then another et, etc. Then they'd eventually finish their 'work' shift at some point! It was the way things were done, I soon realised.

Talking of one dancing on your own, I really like both of these versions;

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I went to Leeds University. The last semester of the first year and the first semester of the second year were notorious for people leaving early. If the masses didn’t turn you into a non-functioning alcoholic in the first year. They’d find you and leer at you, in the first semester lectures, of the second year. So you could think you’d made it and then that’s how they’d drive you out, on your return. But then, now I suppose, we have Glastonbury. So, maybe after, they go to Glastonbury they don’t bother going back to Uni at all!!

2 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I went to Leeds University. The last semester of the first year and the first semester of the second year were notorious for people leaving early. If the masses didn’t turn you into a non-functioning alcoholic in the first year. They’d find you and leer at you, in the first semester lectures, of the second year. So you could think you’d made it and then that’s how they’d drive you out, on your return. But then, now I suppose, we have Glastonbury. So, maybe after, they go to Glastonbury they don’t bother going back to Uni at all!!

I feel partly responsible for helping getting some of those Leeds student’s into an alcoholic state

On 9/10/2021 at 7:29 AM, Ryan1984 said:

Was just coming to say this.

The Final is on at 9pm (British time) on Prime tomorrow. Saturday evening sorted!

Just wish they’d let the BBC share the coverage.

The good news is that this is now being shown live on channel 4 if anyone wasn’t aware 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I feel partly responsible for helping getting some of those Leeds student’s into an alcoholic state

I was there from 93-96. Everyone there drank like a fish!! I’ve since been continually befuddled as to the reasoning behind alcohol consumption, at University. I don’t understand why a good education and liver failure should go hand in hand!!

9 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I was there from 93-96. Everyone there drank like a fish!! I’ve since been continually befuddled as to the reasoning behind alcohol consumption, at University. I don’t understand why a good education and liver failure should go hand in hand!!

I didn’t start working behind bars till 98 so your alcoholism can’t be blamed on me! 😁

1 hour ago, stt11 said:

One of my mates studied for both his BSc and his PHD in chemistry at Leeds University. This was before the internet, so 'certain' information wasn't readily available. He told me that when doing the BSc, that all of a sudden several people dropped out of the course, despite having spent a couple of years on the course. He asked me if I knew why several people would all leave exactly at that moment in time. I indicated that I hadn't a clue. he then went on to inform me that it's because they had all just learnt a process which is used in the processing of cocaine from the raw ingredients onwards. So, they presumably had always had the intention to learn what they needed to, and then go make their fortune (or be killed )in South America. This would have been early to mid 1980's.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

One of my mates studied for both his BSc and his PHD in chemistry at Leeds University. This was before the internet, so 'certain' information wasn't readily available. He told me that when doing the BSc, that all of a sudden several people dropped out of the course, despite having spent a couple of years on the course. He asked me if I knew why several people would all leave exactly at that moment in time. I indicated that I hadn't a clue. he then went on to inform me that it's because they had all just learnt a process which is used in the processing of cocaine from the raw ingredients onwards. So, they presumably had always had the intention to learn what they needed to, and then go make their fortune (or be killed )in South America. This would have been early to mid 1980's.

Leeds Uni is a big place. I reckon loads of people have done that sort of thing there. Harold Shipman got his medical degree from there.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Kier Starmer got his law degree there

At the time I was there, there was this Labour leader that died of a heart attack. Everyone on the news reckoned he was going to be one of the best politicians ever. They flew a flag at half mast when he died. They pulled out all the stops. That place is so left-wing!!! 

1 hour ago, stt11 said:

Leeds Uni is a big place.

I know it is. I had quite a few mates who all went to study there together, and I often used to get the coach up there to see them. One day when I was up there I was with one of my cousins (also attending the uni) and a mutual mate. My cousin said 'See that building there Shaun' to our mutual friend. 'That's the building that you should have been attending all year'. Shaun's response was' Oh, that's the building. I always did wonder what it actually looked like'! Shaun had never been in to a lecture, seminar etc at all since the year had started. 

I did have some fantastic times in Leeds over the years though. I have even done the Otley run. We never went into the city though. a lot of the seshing was done in Headingley, and another area, who's name eludes me right now.

Oh, just remembered - i even went to an old fashioned cinema there after the pubs had closed. I didn't even know the film that we were queuing up to see. When we got in 9with drinks) I noticed that the film was called Caligula. Now watching that was an education!

13 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Waaaoooooh! How good was that tennis! Congrats to Emma! 

absolutely staggering... Not only was that one of the most remarkle sporting acheivements of all time..

but to have 2 teenagers speak with such poise, grace and eloquence is equally staggering.. an absolute credit to themselves and their sport.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

absolutely staggering... Not only was that one of the most remarkle sporting acheivements of all time..

but to have 2 teenagers speak with such poise, grace and eloquence is equally staggering.. an absolute credit to themselves and their sport.

Yes quite incredible to hear them both speak, when you consider the cliches that some other sports men and women come out with after a win! Surely that’s sports personality of the year sorted out! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1