guypjfreak

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i'm not going to one until next summer, i couldn't cope with one, and my wife couldn't cope with me not coping with one, so i'm flogging my end of the road tickets, next festival for me will be Glastonbury.

Sorry to hear that - though that will be a hell of a way to return! There's always those sort of halfway house events held in holiday parks where you get a bed and everything?

Pleased to say we are now on holiday! We're in the UK but you can't have everything. Drove down to Cornwall after Farmfest (which was in Somerset) and we are here for the week, then drive up to Glastonbury on Friday to stay with friends on the way back.

Not been to Cornwall for years if anyone has any recommendations? We've been told that the Eden Project is a must-do. Could be good for the day it's supposed to rain.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Pleased to say we are now on holiday! We're in the UK but you can't have everything. Drove down to Cornwall after Farmfest (which was in Somerset) and we are here for the week, then drive up to Glastonbury on Friday to stay with friends on the way back.

Not been to Cornwall for years if anyone has any recommendations? We've been told that the Eden Project is a must-do. Could be good for the day it's supposed to rain.

I went to Cornwall (for the first time) last September....we stayed for three nights in Carbis Bay, day trips out to St Ives, Lands End, Penzance, Sennen Cove, Porthcurno and to Falmouth (with a trip on a boat to St Mawes within that), then drove up to Looe for three nights but just stayed locally as we have friends who live there so chilled out a bit, then went to the Eden Project for a day, then drove to Torquay for one night to see my girlfriends uncle before driving back to Oxford and stopped at Stonehenge on the way home.

Highlights for me were the Minak Theatre in Porthcurno (Minack Theatre) and the day trip to St Mawes on a boat from Falmouth (St Mawes Ferry | Falmouth Bid )

26 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I went to Cornwall (for the first time) last September....we stayed for three nights in Carbis Bay, day trips out to St Ives, Lands End, Penzance, Sennen Cove, Porthcurno and to Falmouth (with a trip on a boat to St Mawes within that), then drove up to Looe for three nights but just stayed locally as we have friends who live there so chilled out a bit, then went to the Eden Project for a day, then drove to Torquay for one night to see my girlfriends uncle before driving back to Oxford and stopped at Stonehenge on the way home.

Highlights for me were the Minak Theatre in Porthcurno (Minack Theatre) and the day trip to St Mawes on a boat from Falmouth (St Mawes Ferry | Falmouth Bid )

Thanks for that. We are in Falmouth, which seems quite nice! The wife mentioned the boat trip so will def do that ta. Theatre is sold out every day unfortunately!

How was Stonehenge? Never actually been 'inside'. Was talk of doing it on the way home too, but I have a ticket to a festival in London on Sat now.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Thanks for that. We are in Falmouth, which seems quite nice! The wife mentioned the boat trip so will def do that ta. Theatre is sold out every day unfortunately!

How was Stonehenge? Never actually been 'inside'. Was talk of doing it on the way home too, but I have a ticket to a festival in London on Sat now.

Yeh Falmouth was decent, Swanpool was a decent beach we went to as well.

Stonehenge....probably like you I've been past it a lot en route to Glastonbury, we paid to go in....luckily it was very quiet as was a Friday afternoon just after schools had gone back.  Walked up to it and then got the shuttle bus back and then went round the little museum bit as well.  Possibly slightly overpriced, but glad we went. 

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

Am guessing this is how I'll feel about the Eden Project!

Yeh, I'd agree there too.... I wasn't sure what to expect from that.....there was a slight lack of things to do tbh apart from a zip wire.  

Wasn't pleasant being in the domes when it was hot with a facemask on!

6 hours ago, Homer said:

Excellent never been as far as Cornwall. Devon Somerset and Dorset is as far as I have been. I’d recommend Jersey for anyone who can’t be arsed with the current hastle of going abroad.  Currently having a nice beer and contemplating where to have lunch 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i'm not going to one until next summer, i couldn't cope with one, and my wife couldn't cope with me not coping with one, so i'm flogging my end of the road tickets, next festival for me will be Glastonbury.

What better way to start than at Glastonbury!?

Wishing you a speedy recovery Neil. 

2 hours ago, Homer said:

If you're in Falmouth, check out The Chintz. Lovely little bar

42 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Excellent never been as far as Cornwall. Devon Somerset and Dorset is as far as I have been. I’d recommend Jersey for anyone who can’t be arsed with the current haste of going abroad.  Currently having a nice beer and contemplating where to have lunch 

Always fancied Jersey or Guernsey, but always worried about getting stuck on an island with a lack of things to do.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

but always worried about getting stuck on an island with a lack of things to do.

I went to a 40th birthday celebration weekend on Lundy island, staying at Millcombe House. That really was quite a small island, but it was an adventure from start to finish. Not necessarily the island itself (although that too), but a happy place to be to celebrate a 40th birthday among friends.

With regard to the island itself, I saw something in nature that I had never seen before in person - not difficult as I lived in Birmingham at the time. I saw what looked like a species of seagull trying to get to and eat another seagull species' eggs. However, the seagulls with the eggs were sitting on their eggs. So one of the other seagulls would fly towards its nest and the seagull on the nest would fly up to put it off its flight path. By doing that it allowed another enemy seagull; to aim directly at the eggs in the nest. And so it had to fly back to the nest quick. Sometimes they would achieve their goal (of saving their eggs) and sometime an alien gull would make off with an egg. I watched this going on for about an hour and a half. It was like watching Top Gun, I'd say. However, not having actually watched that film, there is a chance that it wasn't like that at all.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Sometimes they would achieve their goal (of saving their eggs) and sometime an alien gull would make off with an egg. I watched this going on for about an hour and a half. It was like watching Top Gun, I'd say.

It’s a long time ago that I watched Top Gun, but I’m pretty sure the scene where Tom Cruise steals some eggs for his breakfast is a pivotal moment in the film 😆

• Upvote 2

My van was in loads of the papers on Fri after the storm hit us... 

Was good to be back.. Highlights 

Dom jolly... 

Blossoms 

Plastic Mermaids 

Sleep and valium 

Sitting in the sun 

received_148832654045068.jpeg

IMG_20210730_150908843.jpg

IMG_20210729_145008093.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 8/2/2021 at 9:48 AM, Homer said:

My sister lives in Falmouth (well, very near) so know a few spots. 
The Pandora Inn in Restronguet Creek is a lovely place for a sundown beer - sat on a bench on their floating pontoon. 
Bango in Penryn does amazing Asian fusion takeaway - take it and sit on the beach at Flushing to eat. 
Amanzi in the middle of Falmouth does great South African food - bit pricey though. 
There’s a nice bar in Mylor harbour too, where you can get a decent meal (including really good pizza oven pizzas), a drink and watch the comings and goings of small yachts. 
Gyllyngvase Beach cafe is in a beautiful spot and there is a good coastal walk that runs off the end of the beach, plus ornamental gardens next door if you need some shade. 
The maritime museum is good, but a bit pricey. 
You could pick up some cheap tat in Trago too 😂 
Now restrictions are easing there should be some local bands playing around Falmouth but it won’t be as busy as during term time. 

Edited by blutarsky
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

no better way than at Glastonbury, but a marathon doesn't seem a good idea when I'd struggle with an easy jog round the park

I know what you mean. I went to Glastonbury one year having only had major surgery a few weeks before it started. I didn't get very far geographically at the festival that year. The most effort I can recall is getting to the Other Stage from the Pyramid. I managed to see / hear Blondie sing 'Atomic' and then I went back to the campsite near the Pyramid. I had only wanted to hear her sing that song, so I guess I accomplished my mission. On another day that year, I only got as far as a chip shop to the right of the Pyramid stage. I didn't even have chips from there. I simply lay down on the grass right in front of the chip shop. I was going to bed no later than 1am too. Mind you, I was up and 'back on it' very early every morning!

20 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I know what you mean. I went to Glastonbury one year having only had major surgery a few weeks before it started. I didn't get very far geographically at the festival that year. The most effort I can recall is getting to the Other Stage from the Pyramid. I managed to see / hear Blondie sing 'Atomic' and then I went back to the campsite near the Pyramid. I had only wanted to hear her sing that song, so I guess I accomplished my mission. On another day that year, I only got as far as a chip shop to the right of the Pyramid stage. I didn't even have chips from there. I simply lay down on the grass right in front of the chip shop. I was going to bed no later than 1am too. Mind you, I was up and 'back on it' very early every morning!

I'M A BIT WORRIED MY NEXT VISIT TO GLASSTO WILL BE SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THAT, am currently in a wheel chair, and wouldn't get around on it, and the wife wouldn't push me around, so i'll be looking at electric scooters, when i have a few quid