guypjfreak

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Best pie I’ve ever had, a hotel near Pilton, delicious!

811FAD4C-8CB9-4A45-AC12-153F6A637A7F.thumb.jpeg.bd953d462bc2ee3f5203ead07eba54a3.jpeg

Nice! I would usually be judging the British Pie Awards this week, but it bit the dust sadly (did last year too). I got football pies one year, which was great, as I got a real variety (they were just all from football grounds).

Last time I got the steak and cheese category. It was great at first, but I felt pretty sick by the end of it! Unbelievably they put on a buffet for lunch once you're finished!

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

The Crossways?

Correct!   And the sweet that followed it was also tremendous.  Us Scots are known for our love of pies so it is indeed the highest accolade that I choose this as the best I’ve ever had! 

And as you see from the photo Mrs C had some green stuff, salad I think it was called😉

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Nice! I would usually be judging the British Pie Awards this week, but it bit the dust sadly (did last year too). I got football pies one year, which was great, as I got a real variety (they were just all from football grounds).

Last time I got the steak and cheese category. It was great at first, but I felt pretty sick by the end of it! Unbelievably they put on a buffet for lunch once you're finished!

As in a 'proper' judge ie. official and all that? If so, how did you get that gig?

36 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

That looks delicious - what was the filling? I would have wanted some mash with that but with a pie that size I might have struggled.

Beef  filling, softish  pastry, selection of veg including roast beetroot.   Glass of red and a pint of Peroni.   There was a slight disappointment at the lack of mash but that soon disappeared after the first mouthful. 

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Beef  filling, softish  pastry, selection of veg including roast beetroot.   Glass of red and a pint of Peroni.   There was a slight disappointment at the lack of mash but that soon disappeared after the first mouthful. 

And roast beetroot - I've always tried to avoid envy as it's not a good look. However on this occasion envy rules.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

As in a 'proper' judge ie. official and all that? If so, how did you get that gig?

I edit some industry food mags for a living mate, so it comes from that. I reeckon @balti-piemay be the real expert though!

I had chicken and mushroom for lunch yesterday. Haven't had one yet today - but the wife came back from the supermarket with a Pieminister chicken and ham for dinner! I may try and have a pie every day this week...

• Upvote 1

i had a three course pie dinner last year to herald Pie Week: 

a slice of gala pie with salad for starters

steak and ale pie with mash and mushy peas (the classic aussie pie floater) for main course

and for afters i had a lovely apple pie and custard.

At no point did it all feel a bit much, i was very impressed with my ability to eat so much pie 😀 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

i had a three course pie dinner last year to herald Pie Week: 

a slice of gala pie with salad for starters

steak and ale pie with mash and mushy peas (the classic aussie pie floater) for main course

and for afters i had a lovely apple pie and custard.

At no point did it all feel a bit much, i was very impressed with my ability to eat so much pie 😀 

So that was 3.14 pie you had....

• Like 1

Pieministers are ace, we had a ruby each for dinner this evening - could easily have eaten a 2nd.

https://pieminister.co.uk/pies/ruby/

Had my first pieminister at glastonbury 2009 (I think), happy days indeed. There was even a thread about them on here, some familiar names as well.