guypjfreak

1 minute ago, PDAD said:

I got a kitten around 18 months ago and she has stayed inside the whole time (we are a downstairs flat with our own entrance but very close to 2 supermarket car parks and that's a risk I am not willing to take!) and she is absolutely fine. We spoke to the vet when we got her about it and they said a cat can spend all their life inside, be let out in the last few weeks, and still acclimatize perfectly well. 

As long as they get plenty of attention and have plenty of stuff to play with (and climb over) then it wont be a problem at all. That being said, we did get a girl as they traditionally don't need as much roaming space as boys - from what I read, boys are a little more adventurous in that respect!

True.  Our male cat definitely goes further afield than his sister.

We struck a balance by having them free to come and go during the day, but they get shut in at night as that's when the majority of serious incidents occur.  They very occasionally get a bit fractious at night and try to get out the catflap, but we get round that by putting the vacuum cleaner in front of it like a guardian - they're terrified of it! :lol:

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I think it's unfair to take a cat that's used to being outside and make it stay in. With really tiny kittens it's better I suppose, as they're not sued to it..? I'm not sure. The woman I bought my flat from had a cat, and he seemed perfectly happy. I had a chat with her about it when I looked round haha!

2 hours ago, PDAD said:

I got a kitten around 18 months ago and she has stayed inside the whole time (we are a downstairs flat with our own entrance but very close to 2 supermarket car parks and that's a risk I am not willing to take!) and she is absolutely fine. We spoke to the vet when we got her about it and they said a cat can spend all their life inside, be let out in the last few weeks, and still acclimatize perfectly well. 

As long as they get plenty of attention and have plenty of stuff to play with (and climb over) then it wont be a problem at all. That being said, we did get a girl as they traditionally don't need as much roaming space as boys - from what I read, boys are a little more adventurous in that respect!

Thanks guys, that's good to know. It makes sense when you say if it's from birth then they don't know any different!

3 hours ago, PDAD said:

Ooo good shout, maybe I should get a girl....

@Ozanne and @Sasperella

My cat is 16 she has been an indoor cat all her life!! She came from the farm as a kitten and was slightly wild to say the least!! I work full time so she has always been shut in during the day and most of the night!! If I’m outside she comes out with me! If I leave the door open she generally chooses to stay in!! I had her spade mainly because when she was in season she make a lot of noise calling other cats day and night!! I toilet trained her to use a litter tray! Wooden pellets are the best things to use!!! I don’t think she has had a bad life or she would have made her escape!! 
Elvis is very cute!! 
I would love a dog but I’m not home to walk in the day and they tend to need a lot more freedom than cats!!

4 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Went for a wander down the canal. 

Unfortunately was in a world of my own when there were in the sun with a better background. But the tranquility was what I needed. 

IMG_20200929_154423.jpg

Hello zeppelin,

I hope that you experienced the serenity that you required. I've had a hellish type of a day, and seeing your photo has helped me re-calibrate my mind back to where it should be - or at least, where I want it to be. 

@Ayrshire Chris - Looks like you've got competition on the lovely photo front.

• Like 2

Well father in laws funeral went well 

.. We got some photos back from the photographer who does my paintings.. Woow a couple of them from over 20 years ago.. That's my old van and my Canadian flag at the lizard festival on the equinox.. She still flies today 

1601212750273-470e9064-f35d-44c1-af64-cc9619e033ef.jpg

DSC02342.JPG

29 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello zeppelin,

I hope that you experienced the serenity that you required. I've had a hellish type of a day, and seeing your photo has helped me re-calibrate my mind back to where it should be - or at least, where I want it to be. 

Nah. It’s never competition, it’s just that we  complement each other and see the  beauty that exists all around us, and love sharing it with everyone.! The only thing the pictures can’t do is convey the sense of tranquility and inner peace I get wandering about the hills! 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello zeppelin,

Hello,

I'm so glad the photo was able to do that for you; that is exactly why I posted it :). Hopefully tomorrow will be much better for you.

• Upvote 1

In the wasps defence

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/shortcuts/2018/aug/12/wasps-plague-britain-five-reasons-to-celebrate

Agreed though, they can be aresholes if you antagonize them, much like some people really.

When the nest started to appear in our garden we just let it bee (I'll get my coat)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Well father in laws funeral went well 

.. We got some photos back from the photographer who does my paintings.. Woow a couple of them from over 20 years ago.. That's my old van and my Canadian flag at the lizard festival on the equinox.. She still flies today 

1601212750273-470e9064-f35d-44c1-af64-cc9619e033ef.jpg

DSC02342.JPG

I love the atmosphere surrounding the van photo!! Takes me to a place of good memories! Which we will create again!’ 
I'm determined to get a van!!! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oneeye said:

In the wasps defence

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/shortcuts/2018/aug/12/wasps-plague-britain-five-reasons-to-celebrate

Agreed though, they can be aresholes if you antagonize them, much like some people really.

When the nest started to appear in our garden we just let it bee (I'll get my coat)

Yes, you’re right. Balanced Ecosystems depend on all living organisms interacting.  

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

@Welly Boot @Ozanne @Yoghurt on a Stick and anyone else who is interested.... 

Meet Fizzgig 🙂

IMG-20200929-WA0025.jpeg

IMG-20200930-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20200929-WA0023.jpeg

IMG-20200929-WA0020.jpeg

Thanks for the photos and for revealing the kittens name. Not sure why, but I thought I'd look up the name 'Fizzgig'. I now know, or think I know, that I should already have been aware of the film 'The Dark Crystal'. However, I was not, and that's that.

Mind you, had it not been for my 'investigations' into the name 'Fizzgig' I would not have seen the photo ( see below) that reminded me that I need to get some Mr Muscle Window & Glass Cleaner for my favourite mirror in the house. 

Fizzgig | The Dark Crystal Wiki | Fandom