Watch alongs / Listen Alongs

FuzzyDunlop

Seen quite a few people doing listen alongs of classic albums.

Does anyone fancy watching a classic Glastonbury set all at the same time and having a chat about it? What they remember, bits of it etc? All start watching at a specific time. So we are all at the same point.

I was thinking initially. Stevie Wonder 2010? It's on Youtube.

Might be a crap idea, but I am going to watch it at some point soon anyway!

• Upvote 1

A podcast I listen to has a section of the show each week called ‘Trade Off’ where they give each other an album to listen to that week. There might sometimes be a theme, other weeks there might not be. 

My friend and I (both teachers, so we have a lot of time free right now) are doing a daily ‘Trade Off’ but with a theme each day. Example, today’s theme is ‘An album by a band you respect more than any other’. We are listening to the albums and then putting our top 3 tracks from said albums into a Spotify playlist. 

We are also going to arrange our albums at the end of this into a (likely) Top 20 and whichever album tops our respective lists, we are going to buy the other person that album on vinyl. 

I really do think that it is going to help me stay sane during this period of down time :) 

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Does anyone fancy watching a classic Glastonbury set all at the same time and having a chat about it? What they remember, bits of it etc? All start watching at a specific time. So we are all at the same point.

On Friday some friends and I all got tanked and watched Jaws at the same time on Netflix and talked about it on a WhatsApp group. It was hilarious. I'd been wondering if we could do something collective like that with EFestivals... The Simpsons thread had made me consider suggesting we all watch the same episode simultaneously, (or even have a mini rave to the same set - inspired by the electronic thread obviously) but I guess it would also work with Glasto sets!

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

A podcast I listen to has a section of the show each week called ‘Trade Off’ where they give each other an album to listen to that week. There might sometimes be a theme, other weeks there might not be. 

My friend and I (both teachers, so we have a lot of time free right now) are doing a daily ‘Trade Off’ but with a theme each day. Example, today’s theme is ‘An album by a band you respect more than any other’. We are listening to the albums and then putting our top 3 tracks from said albums into a Spotify playlist. 

We are also going to arrange our albums at the end of this into a (likely) Top 20 and whichever album tops our respective lists, we are going to buy the other person that album on vinyl. 

I really do think that it is going to help me stay sane during this period of down time :) 

This is a really nice idea 🙂

4 hours ago, Sasperella said:

On Friday some friends and I all got tanked and watched Jaws at the same time on Netflix and talked about it on a WhatsApp group. It was hilarious. I'd been wondering if we could do something collective like that with EFestivals... The Simpsons thread had made me consider suggesting we all watch the same episode simultaneously, (or even have a mini rave to the same set - inspired by the electronic thread obviously) but I guess it would also work with Glasto sets!

Thinking of doing something similar for my birthday on Friday... creating a drinking game around a movie. Also thinking of making a quiz (as someone has done on here) and a collaborative (probably youtube) playlist where we add a song to queue in turns on a specific theme e.g. Act from Glastonbury 1971 line-up, 1972 and so on...

3 minutes ago, DJL said:

Thinking of doing something similar for my birthday on Friday... creating a drinking game around a movie. Also thinking of making a quiz (as someone has done on here) and a collaborative (probably youtube) playlist where we add a song to queue in turns on a specific theme e.g. Act from Glastonbury 1971 line-up, 1972 and so on...

Used to play return of Jedi at uni. Everyone has a character if they say your name have a shot, name in subtitles have a double, someone says Force you all drink. Never made it to endor with people in serious trouble 🙂

• Upvote 1

The Franz Ferdinand listen along on twitter was great last night, worth putting the album on again and trying to follow it if you can.

They're doing one from one of the genuinely brilliant mid-00s indie albums Mens Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever. Should be great 

On 3/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Does anyone fancy watching a classic Glastonbury set all at the same time and having a chat about it? 

Oh sure pick the only set involving the guy who cant watch it himself. 

Sick bastard. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno if anyone has been keeping up with the Tim's listening parties on twitter but the 55 they've done so far on a website now so you can live it again or go through ones you missed. There's some seriously great insights from band members and producers on some great albums here, really good following through. The upcoming ones look great as well, I'll definitely be going along with the The Avalanches one. 

https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/

On 3/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Did anybody do this? I think it was a great idea

11 hours ago, priest17 said:

I dunno if anyone has been keeping up with the Tim's listening parties on twitter but the 55 they've done so far on a website now so you can live it again or go through ones you missed. There's some seriously great insights from band members and producers on some great albums here, really good following through. The upcoming ones look great as well, I'll definitely be going along with the The Avalanches one. 

https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/

Forgot about this thread, just posted about them in the music from our sofas thread.

Yeah, joined the Pogues one last night. Really enjoyed it! Gutted I couldn't make it for the Supergrass one on Saturday night

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Forgot about this thread, just posted about them in the music from our sofas thread.

Yeah, joined the Pogues one last night. Really enjoyed it! Gutted I couldn't make it for the Supergrass one on Saturday night

If you look on the website you can do a replay which I believe means you can listen along and see the comments as they would have come up. Obviously you can't add comments yourself but think it's great for getting the insight as there's a few I was interested in that I didn't get to join.