When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

People might be at the end of their tethers but that doesn't make the problem go away. Only using logic surely everyone can see that if we allow normal life to the point of gigs taking place in August that the death rate we're seeing now will be nothing compared to allowing this virus to spread like that? 

Might as well have just done it in the first place, the lockdown will have been pointless 

But look around the world, look around Europe, everyone is slating a relaxation in the coming weeks. To the best of my knowledge there isn’t one country in the world that is planning to continue a lockdown indefinitely. That’s because it’s simply isn’t viable, hiding from the virus forever is not viable and hence why it isn’t going to happen, anywhere. It isn’t going to away for a while, but any measures taken in any country are purely  going to be about making sure their healthcare service isn’t overrun, and that will be it.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But look around the world, look around Europe, everyone is slating a relaxation in the coming weeks. To the best of my knowledge there isn’t one country in the world that is planning to continue a lockdown indefinitely. That’s because it’s simply isn’t viable, hiding from the virus forever is not viable and hence why it isn’t going to happen, anywhere. It isn’t going to away for a while, but any measures taken in any country are purely  going to be about making sure their healthcare service isn’t overrun, and that will be it.

May the 1st according to Trump...

Though a mass fuck up will probably make us stay in longer 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Absolutely I agree - economy should be thought about but gigs and football matches etc are highly stupid in the situation where a virus is around. They will happen because money but I expect them to be honest about the risks and expected death rates. 

I personally don't see how we can go back to normal without overwhelming the NHS but we're going to find out...

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Absolutely I agree - economy should be thought about but gigs and football matches etc are highly stupid in the situation where a virus is around. They will happen because money but I expect them to be honest about the risks and expected death rates. 

I personally don't see how we can go back to normal without overwhelming the NHS but we're going to find out...

Imagine we could develop a cheap, live test for it. Probably the stuff of science fiction but it would enable things like gigs and football matches to go ahead with no trouble at all.

Edit: I don’t know how useful infrared thermometers would be instead, does no temperature definitely = not contagious, if so they would be the answer.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

39 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Had the same though so checked the text of the act - it says reviews every three weeks but for some reason also says the first review needs to happen before 16th April. So it's legal.

They announced on Monday but didn't actually pass the necessary statutory instruments until the Thursday.

32 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Another point I’ve been locked down in my flat with daily excercise and my over 70s parents the same ... surely it has now become safe to see them ? Especially if I socially Distance it’s the same as passing someone unknown on my walk ? In fact much less risk ? 

If you've had no symptoms for 2 weeks and haven't interacted with anyone else you won't have it. If other people have done the same you can safely extend your "bubble" without posing a risk. 

However you have to trust them not to have met anyone else and travel there safely. It goes against the guidance to do that probably because it's a bit too nuanced to clearly communicate to the general public.

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Imagine we could develop a cheap, live test for it. Probably the stuff of science fiction but it would enable things like gigs and football matches to go ahead with no trouble at all.

Edit: I don’t know how useful infrared thermometers would be instead, does no temperature definitely = not contagious, if so they would be the answer.

That'd be the ideal, or maybe the mysterious antibody test. I imagine other countries might be able to make use of these things in time, but there's no chance of our lot sorting something so logical.

Draconian tracing with a mandatory app, enforcement of quarantines and legislating mask wearing would do the job too, but there's about zero chance in this country. 

Basically, all my responses to the idea of relaxing it here are based on knowing our efforts will be poor/non existent.  

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

If you've had no symptoms for 2 weeks and haven't interacted with anyone else you won't have it. If other people have done the same you can safely extend your "bubble" without posing a risk. 

However you have to trust them not to have met anyone else and travel there safely. It goes against the guidance to do that probably because it's a bit too nuanced to clearly communicate to the general public.

ThAts my thoughts .. and it’s my folks so they wouldn’t put me at potential risk  ... my friends are all dropping off essentials to their parents and continuing daily lives as essential workers ... they are 20 mins away and obviously I’ll not have any contact ... will leave it for next 3 weeks I think and then review 

Oh ffs

https://www.nme.com/news/music/robbie-williams-covers-manic-street-preachers-motorcycle-emptiness-2647942

“‘Culture sucks down words, itemise loathing and feed yourself smiles.’ Yeah! Don’t know what it means, but fucking yeah!,” explains Robbie. “Do we not live in a dystopian world already? ‘Each day living out a lie. Life sold cheaply forever, ever, ever.’ Fucking hell, these lyrics man!”

36 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

He’s been a mass fuckup since he took office ... think he’s just reaching the peak of fuckup ness 

Totally agree but the worst thing about Trump is there’s millions of Americans who think he is the best thing since sliced bread. 

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

She’s telling journalists what questions they should and shouldn’t be asking?

No she is telling journalists there are more important things to be thinking about, last thing we need is people going ah fuck it I’ve had enough and the lockdown goes to ratshit. Its more trying to manage the public’s expectations. Plus it must be doing their heads in to be asked the same  questions every day.

4 minutes ago, Smeble said:

No she is telling journalists there are more important things to be thinking about, last thing we need is people going ah fuck it I’ve had enough and the lockdown goes to ratshit. Its more trying to manage the public’s expectations. Plus it must be doing their heads in to be asked the same  questions every day.

There is the argument that if they answered them then the chances of them being asked them again would be smaller though surely ... 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

To be fair when people are asking about an "exit strategy", they're really asking about what the plans are to change the balance as we try to get through the next year or so without a vaccine.  I don't think the focus of most journalists is about getting fully back to normal, more how we're going to start easing some of the more severe restrictions so we can get kids back to school and get the police to wind their necks in.

Wonder if Glastonbury will look to move the 2021 festival to September? Seems as though they considered that, to some degree at least, for 2020. September 2021 is probably a safer bet than June (although I'm still hopeful and optimistic we'll be "back to normal" next June) and might be better to plan for that now rather than get caught out next March.

Just a thought!

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

Wonder if Glastonbury will look to move the 2021 festival to September? Seems as though they considered that, to some degree at least, for 2020. September 2021 is probably a safer bet than June (although I'm still hopeful and optimistic we'll be "back to normal" next June) and might be better to plan for that now rather than get caught out next March.

Just a thought!

Possible ... but would think that will have more of an effect on the lineup with lots of acts delaying by 1 year ... so tours will become messed up ? 

Angela Merkle (the true leader of the free world) gave a concise summary of an exit path for Germany (I saw it this morning it might have aired last night on German telly?) explaining how it would work, laid out the steps and the thinking behind it and how it might unfold if cases started to rise faster than they predict. True leadership you can trust. Compare if you will our own "Good Old Boris" and the man-child in the Whitehouse.

Depresssing isn't it?

Anywho, I think that we are not yet at the point where we can start to think about exiting just yet. So let's just enjoy the good weather and perhaps hope that we might be able to go to live music events, football matches etc. before too long.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Possible ... but would think that will have more of an effect on the lineup with lots of acts delaying by 1 year ... so tours will become messed up ? 

Aye it would be tricky. Depends on how much it would impact them to potentially plan for two festivals in a row that don't happen. As in, would the financial hit be too big to go through all the prep again for it to be cancelled three months out yet again. They might have to book a largely different lineup but is it the safer bet financially? No idea.

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

That would earn them a special badge :) 

Must admit Mrs C was overcome with emotion, in floods of tears , was so grateful to hear Hancock this morning on TV  promise that as a Care at home assistant she would be given a wee badge. What a fantastic gesture that is.  It will compensate for not having enough face masks, aprons and having to use her own marigold gloves.  

Hopefully this afternoon adequate PPE will be issued, but it’s only happened after a public outcry 

• Upvote 3