When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, shoptildrop said:

Sorry what do you mean offices are closed?? Most are open just at lower capacities, mine one is 50% and I know friends who work in similar

Apart from "work from home if you can" there was nothing mentioned about offices

Personally I'm WFH and prefer to keep it that way as long as possible... with masks our HQ masks are optional but the DC next door they are mandatory as some places difficult to maintain 2m rule they have implemented. I think in offices masks should be worn when you move about but can be taken off at your desk like they are doing with hospitality

Government advice has changed to close offices today. It's gone back to WFH until further notice.

Folks talking like offices have been told to close when that's simply not true.

Staff have been asked to work from home if possible to do so which isn't possible for some.

I also heard on 5live when I was driving home that Boris when asked said it was okay to work in the office if you felt that working from home would have an effect on your mental health. I've not looked in to this though so unsure what exactly was said or in what context.

I know from speaking to some of the staff across my offices this morning that not everyone can work from home with the same output that they do in the office. Therefore would rather work in the office.

21 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Nah gove said that all the regulations will be stated in parliament first.

They need to do this by law I believe. The speaker got rather uppity when the first lockdown was announced in a televised address rather than in the commons. He's also told off Hancock for announcing things in the 5pm daily briefings instead of telling parliament before.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Government advice has changed to close offices today. It's gone back to WFH until further notice.

mmmh think that's open to interpretation tbh - the below sounds to me if you can run a covid secure office then people can go to it but if you "can" WFH then do so

Cabinet Minister Michael Gove told the BBC, "If you are in a Covid-secure workplace, then you should be there if your job requires it." However, he said that otherwise, people should work at home.

Just now, JoeyT said:

I don't believe this is correct.

The message was definitely work from home if you can not all offices must close.

Hang on, are there office jobs that cannot be done from home? I thought the implication was that office people WFH, but factory workers, construction etc should still go to work.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Hang on, are there office jobs that cannot be done from home? I thought the implication was that office people WFH, but factory workers, construction etc should still go to work.

I work in the clothing industry and folk who work in product development, buyers or people who need to see and fit physical samples then yes they need to be more office based 

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

I work in the clothing industry and folk who work in product development, buyers or people who need to see and fit physical samples then yes they need to be more office based 

Okay that's a fine example. But I'd imagine the genuine proportion of office workers who have a valid reason why they cannot conceivably work from home is tiny. Less than 10% for sure. And by "valid reason", I don't mean that your employer can't be arsed to pay for a VPN or doesn't trust the new grads to actually do work instead of jerking themselves off all day.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

You can't seriously sit there and say to me you don't realise that offices can't simply close?!

There are various reasons why offices need to be staffed ranging from opening the post to meeting clients for verification of ID docs. There's plenty more in between that as well depending on the industry.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

You can't seriously sit there and say to me you don't realise that offices can't simply close?!

There are various reasons why offices need to be staffed ranging from opening the post to meeting clients for verification of ID docs. There's plenty more in between that as well depending on the industry.

My employer, my old employer and the employers' of several of my friends completely closed their offices when the first lockdown was announced (and in most cases, 1-2 weeks before that). Some have reopened partially (although will be closing again with the updated advice) but most have remained closed with no plans to open again for at least the rest of 2020.

I had no idea this wasn't the norm. I know some offices have reopened at partial capacity, but my impressions was that all office work was being done remotely in the first lockdown when the advice was to WFH, and that this would resume imminently.

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I would think the resumption of working from home will have the biggest impact of the measures announced today ... [b]office working had crept up to 60%[/b] and that’s a fucking lot of people travelling 

Can we fact check that? I heard the stat the other day but I assumed it to mean that 60% of the entire workforce is now working at a physical workplace (i.e. including those who cannot WFH and were working in person or furloughed all along) and the remaining 40% is working from home.

If you are correct and 60% of people who were previously WFH have returned now, then it could make a huge difference.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My employer, my old employer and the employers' of several of my friends completely closed their offices when the first lockdown was announced (and in most cases, 1-2 weeks before that). Some have reopened partially (although will be closing again with the updated advice) but most have remained closed with no plans to open again for at least the rest of 2020.

I had no idea this wasn't the norm. I know some offices have reopened at partial capacity, but my impressions was that all office work was being done remotely in the first lockdown when the advice was to WFH, and that this would resume imminently.

It very much depends on the industry.

We have a mix of staff WFH, working in the office (if job requires it) and some splitting their time between the 2.

Apologies if i've come across a bit strong, not my intention.

Just now, JoeyT said:

It very much depends on the industry.

We have a mix of staff WFH, working in the office (if job requires it) and some splitting their time between the 2.

Apologies if i've come across a bit strong, not my intention.

No worries, always good to be educated. It was false of me to assume that all office staff can and will WFH. Although I maintain that the percentage of office staff who should be able to is very high and in very many cases the only barrier is laziness of the employer.

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Can we fact check that? I heard the stat the other day but I assumed it to mean that 60% of the entire workforce is now working at a physical workplace (i.e. including those who cannot WFH and were working in person or furloughed all along) and the remaining 40% is working from home.

If you are correct and 60% of people who were previously WFH have returned now, then it could make a huge difference.

Of course you can ... it’s amongst today’s posts ... good luck :) 

With all the incessant talk of pubs closing, facemasks, distancing etc we have got to remember to support those who will find this whole thing so difficult to cope with. I am almost positive that all of us will know someone, a friend, relative or colleague who will struggle over the next few months. After thinking we’ve come through the worst we find ourself faced with what seems like going backwards. For some folk that is going to be hard and cause problems.  So if you know someone like that, give them a call, talk to them, arrange to meet them in a pub or a park. Don’t let them suffer in silence.  I spoke to a former work colleague today, I hope I did some good. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

yep correct .... will edit .... but my point stands on the most effective control measure announced