Jump to content

When will this shit end?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 40.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • steviewevie

    4806

  • Ozanne

    3485

  • crazyfool1

    3441

  • zahidf

    2235

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think on a music festival message board it’s a legitimate question to ask. It doesn’t suggest the OP doesn’t give a shit about anything else. Of course there are much bigger things to be worrie

I can’t get the following thought out of my head and it’s making the old bottom lip wobble: Wednesday evening at the 2021 festival, the sun has been out all day but temperature not stifling, perf

Howdy folks...sorry I'm late to the party! Was in a meeting and could see notifications coming up! So, looks very promising indeed. The vaccinated group not only didn't develop severe disease, bu

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Interesting comment from Valance yesterday that 50,000 cases per day would lead to 200 deaths per day. They now think the IFR is 0.4% whereas in the past we were thinking it was more like 1%. I guess "Long covid" is a bigger issue than the IFR now.

If it started out with an IFR of 0.4%, i wonder if our response would have been different?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Homer said:

Bit of a mixed bag really I guess. Sunday was a good example. Compere tried to riff with the crowd and wasn't funny. Nathon Caton was all fairly hack (I guess) observational stuff about being in lockdown with your partner (I did find it funny though). And Milton Jones (if you're not aware) just does a stream of quick puns, so the same act as pre-Covid.

One annoying change is it all feels a bit rushed now as they often don't have intervals. I quite like at comedy, particularly on a Sunday night, settling in with a bottle of wine for the night and building the evening up. Whereas generally now they all just come on back to back and you're done in an hour.

@zahidfmay have more to offer than me on all this.

 

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

I found it the same tbh. Kevin bridges and Phil wang did post lockdown stuff. Aisling bea pre lockdown stuff. It is a bit more rushed but I generally don't like stuff lasting too long!

Cheers. Kind of as I thought it would be.

I normally watch a lot of live comedy. More than music. There's a few good venues within an hour or so of me that between them get a lot of very good stuff. I think if somewhere opened safely I would go but not expect too much. It's almost more be in solidarity with the venue

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zahidf said:

If it started out with an IFR of 0.4%, i wonder if our response would have been different?

H5N1 bird flu has a mortality rate of 60%, doesn't bare thinking about how fucked we'd be if a virus significantly more dangerous than Covid-19 such as H5N1 or Ebola became pandemic. In some ways I hope Western governments can use Covid-19 to learn lessons for the inevitable more dangerous pandemic that will happen. 3000 coronaviruses are circulating in bats and in China, there is so much deforestation of bat habitats leading to these viruses making the jump into humans. It's only a matter of time before we see a much more lethal one. And hopefully Covid-19 teaches us how to deal with that challenge when it presents itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Interesting comment from Valance yesterday that 50,000 cases per day would lead to 200 deaths per day. They now think the IFR is 0.4% whereas in the past we were thinking it was more like 1%. I guess "Long covid" is a bigger issue than the IFR now.

I guess now 0.4% because of that steroid with a long name that starts with d...and other treatments...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

H5N1 bird flu has a mortality rate of 60%, doesn't bare thinking about how fucked we'd be if a virus significantly more dangerous than Covid-19 such as H5N1 or Ebola became pandemic. In some ways I hope Western governments can use Covid-19 to learn lessons for the inevitable more dangerous pandemic that will happen. 3000 coronaviruses are circulating in bats and in China, there is so much deforestation of bat habitats leading to these viruses making the jump into humans. It's only a matter of time before we see a much more lethal one. And hopefully Covid-19 teaches us how to deal with that challenge when it presents itself.

you read Station Eleven?...about a virus that wipes out most of humanity. I read it just before this pandemic!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steviewevie said:

you read Station Eleven?...about a virus that wipes out most of humanity. I read it just before this pandemic!

No but I did watch the 2011 film "Contagion" a few months back. Some striking similarities there, but again much higher mortality rate of 20%-30%. Of course this is all literature. In practice it would be very hard for a virus to kill most of its hosts but still maintain a high R number. The only way it could theoretically work is if you have something that lays dormant in your body for a very long period of time but spreads asymptomatically, and then absolutely fucks you up after a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If it started out with an IFR of 0.4%, i wonder if our response would have been different?

No because its hospital admissions that counts- if hospitals get overloaded then the mortality rate increases vastly because people who otherwise would have survived with treatment, would die. 

Plus the treatments learned in the first wave is why the IFR is lower (they check for clots, can use oxygen instead of incubation etc) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess now 0.4% because of that steroid with a long name that starts with d...and other treatments...

Dexamethasone. 
 

Makes you very hungry. Never eaten so much in my life before when I was taking that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

 

Oh dear

I'm a little confused.  Has he tried to hit Hyde with a zinger, and just ended up confirming that he, Michael Gove, is also sick of Michael Gove?

Or has he actually developed self-awareness and realised what an odious little twerp he is?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

We are getting a lot of polls this week apparently, this is the first. Will any show a Labour lead!?

Tory floor seems to be 40% since they absorbed the ukippers, which is worrying 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quark said:

I'm a little confused.  Has he tried to hit Hyde with a zinger, and just ended up confirming that he, Michael Gove, is also sick of Michael Gove?

Or has he actually developed self-awareness and realised what an odious little twerp he is?

self loathing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

all you have to do is repeatedly say you love your countrym wave the union jack, make an effort when singing the national anthem, praise our military services endlessly....

Don't forget publically stating your willingness to vaporise entire cities in other countries....

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

 

Oh dear

 

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm a little confused.  Has he tried to hit Hyde with a zinger, and just ended up confirming that he, Michael Gove, is also sick of Michael Gove?

Or has he actually developed self-awareness and realised what an odious little twerp he is?

Must've been to the James Blunt Twitter school...

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm a little confused.  Has he tried to hit Hyde with a zinger, and just ended up confirming that he, Michael Gove, is also sick of Michael Gove?

Or has he actually developed self-awareness and realised what an odious little twerp he is?

I think he's trying to "win Twitter" like James Blunt, but he's fallen flat on his face.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I feel at least a couple of percentage points will change when the unicorns arrive and they're just horses with paper horns strapped on...

I’m gonna go out on a limb, one poll this week will show a Labour lead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb, one poll this week will show a Labour lead. 

A few of the recent ones have had Lab and Tory neck and neck so I defo think this is possible. Maybe a Labour 41 and Tory 39 type poll is on the horizon. It's all within margin of error anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...