When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Bit of a mixed bag really I guess. Sunday was a good example. Compere tried to riff with the crowd and wasn't funny. Nathon Caton was all fairly hack (I guess) observational stuff about being in lockdown with your partner (I did find it funny though). And Milton Jones (if you're not aware) just does a stream of quick puns, so the same act as pre-Covid.

One annoying change is it all feels a bit rushed now as they often don't have intervals. I quite like at comedy, particularly on a Sunday night, settling in with a bottle of wine for the night and building the evening up. Whereas generally now they all just come on back to back and you're done in an hour.

@zahidfmay have more to offer than me on all this.

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

I found it the same tbh. Kevin bridges and Phil wang did post lockdown stuff. Aisling bea pre lockdown stuff. It is a bit more rushed but I generally don't like stuff lasting too long!

Cheers. Kind of as I thought it would be.

I normally watch a lot of live comedy. More than music. There's a few good venues within an hour or so of me that between them get a lot of very good stuff. I think if somewhere opened safely I would go but not expect too much. It's almost more be in solidarity with the venue

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

If it started out with an IFR of 0.4%, i wonder if our response would have been different?

H5N1 bird flu has a mortality rate of 60%, doesn't bare thinking about how fucked we'd be if a virus significantly more dangerous than Covid-19 such as H5N1 or Ebola became pandemic. In some ways I hope Western governments can use Covid-19 to learn lessons for the inevitable more dangerous pandemic that will happen. 3000 coronaviruses are circulating in bats and in China, there is so much deforestation of bat habitats leading to these viruses making the jump into humans. It's only a matter of time before we see a much more lethal one. And hopefully Covid-19 teaches us how to deal with that challenge when it presents itself.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Interesting comment from Valance yesterday that 50,000 cases per day would lead to 200 deaths per day. They now think the IFR is 0.4% whereas in the past we were thinking it was more like 1%. I guess "Long covid" is a bigger issue than the IFR now.

I guess now 0.4% because of that steroid with a long name that starts with d...and other treatments...

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

H5N1 bird flu has a mortality rate of 60%, doesn't bare thinking about how fucked we'd be if a virus significantly more dangerous than Covid-19 such as H5N1 or Ebola became pandemic. In some ways I hope Western governments can use Covid-19 to learn lessons for the inevitable more dangerous pandemic that will happen. 3000 coronaviruses are circulating in bats and in China, there is so much deforestation of bat habitats leading to these viruses making the jump into humans. It's only a matter of time before we see a much more lethal one. And hopefully Covid-19 teaches us how to deal with that challenge when it presents itself.

you read Station Eleven?...about a virus that wipes out most of humanity. I read it just before this pandemic!

Just now, steviewevie said:

you read Station Eleven?...about a virus that wipes out most of humanity. I read it just before this pandemic!

No but I did watch the 2011 film "Contagion" a few months back. Some striking similarities there, but again much higher mortality rate of 20%-30%. Of course this is all literature. In practice it would be very hard for a virus to kill most of its hosts but still maintain a high R number. The only way it could theoretically work is if you have something that lays dormant in your body for a very long period of time but spreads asymptomatically, and then absolutely fucks you up after a while.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If it started out with an IFR of 0.4%, i wonder if our response would have been different?

No because its hospital admissions that counts- if hospitals get overloaded then the mortality rate increases vastly because people who otherwise would have survived with treatment, would die. 

Plus the treatments learned in the first wave is why the IFR is lower (they check for clots, can use oxygen instead of incubation etc) 

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh dear

I'm a little confused.  Has he tried to hit Hyde with a zinger, and just ended up confirming that he, Michael Gove, is also sick of Michael Gove?

Or has he actually developed self-awareness and realised what an odious little twerp he is?

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

all you have to do is repeatedly say you love your countrym wave the union jack, make an effort when singing the national anthem, praise our military services endlessly....

Don't forget publically stating your willingness to vaporise entire cities in other countries....

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh dear

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm a little confused.  Has he tried to hit Hyde with a zinger, and just ended up confirming that he, Michael Gove, is also sick of Michael Gove?

Or has he actually developed self-awareness and realised what an odious little twerp he is?

Must've been to the James Blunt Twitter school...

37 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think he's trying to "win Twitter" like James Blunt, but he's fallen flat on his face.

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So seeming like the plan is to tighten up restrictions as much as possible, without closing anything. If compliance wasn't already low this could have worked. But alas, I can already hear the house parties and anti maskers, doesn't help that Gove seems to do a press tour every time a measure is announced, to contradict the rest of the government and downplay the severity, I wish these people didn't start the tory campaign with a blood orgy drug rest ritual pact, so that someone can actually get fired at some point