When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I wonder what this all means for getting people back in stadiums watching sport and parkrun?

Slimey Gove was just on the news and talked about this. Basically on pause for now but they’re looking at ways they can bring it back. It’s tough as sports events naturally bring about mingling.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So basically it's just the pub curfew and that's it? I really don't see the point of the televised address thing later if just reiterating that from the Commons.

And back to work from home if you can.

I’m guessing Boris will try and get a ‘we’re in this together’-style message (not a finger wagging telling off - not really his style apart from when talking to the opposition) in there and urge some unity/make some moonshit declaration.

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So basically it's just the pub curfew and that's it? I really don't see the point of the televised address thing later if just reiterating that from the Commons.

The bigger a deal they make of it the less coverage the Labour conference and Starmer's first big speech as leader gets.

On the topic of masks was in my local co-op yesterday and staff in the aisles were finally wearing masks which was good

not sure if this is related to the questionnaire send from Co-op of what I thought of their covid measures last week - generally I think they are good but suggested aisle workers wear mask given how small the store is - this week they are in masks so maybe they have listened?

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't really know why they're bothering with the virtual conference thing...

Outside of election cycles conference is about the only time when there is any interest in opposition policy, if the government was announcing new COVID restrictions a week earlier or later then Starmer's speech would have been the lead UK politics story today.

The whole "work from home if you can" thing is an absolute farce.

On Friday Hancock was on R4 saying that there was no evidence of significant workplace transmission and 4 days later we get this?

I'll continue to work from the office and given that the 6 offices I am responsible for are covid secure would hope others also do.

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

On Friday Hancock was on R4 saying that there was no evidence of significant workplace transmission and 4 days later we get this?

I'll continue to work from the office and given that the 6 offices I am responsible for are covid secure would hope others also do.

I'd hope they can and will work from home, why take the risk? public transport is a big risk for office workers. Government was fibbing when they said it was safe, just like what they said with schools- they were lying to get you to do what they wanted- look at the infection charts and it clearly suggests a correlation (obviously correlation doesn't equal causation, but it certainly looks dodgy). Why do you think Whitehall are abandoning their aim to get 80 % back in the office? That should tell you everything.

Edited by Mr.Tease

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I'd hope they can and will work from home, why take the risk? public transport is a big risk for office workers. Government was fibbing when they said it was safe, just like what they said with schools- they were lying to get you to do what they wanted- look at the infection charts and it clearly suggests a correlation (obviously correlation doesn't equal causation, but it certainly looks dodgy). Why do you think Whitehall are abandoning their aim to get 80 % back in the office? That should tell you everything.

If you're suggesting that it's the method of travel taken to get to an office / workplace that is the issue rather than the work environment itself surely the message should reflect this?

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If you're suggesting that it's the method of travel taken to get to an office / workplace that is the issue rather than the work environment itself surely the message should reflect this?

Nope, the office is a risk as well- very unlikely people can/will adhere to distancing, hand washing, etc the entire working day, every day- just takes a few lapses. At this point, anyone insisting staff work in the office when they can work from home are just daft.

Edited by Mr.Tease

22 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

No work place can be truly covid secure, you can make it safer with regards to covid but for it to be completely secure isn’t possible. The virus will find a way in even if you think you have the most secure work place in the world.

The problem essentially isn’t the U turn, it’s the right move to work from home if you can. The problem is that they changed the message last month to go back to offices in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aren’t these new 10pm curfews and table service only measures going to have a big impact on the pubs in particular?

Not only do they miss out on two hours of service (e.g. 9.30pm last orders rather than 11.30pm) but they also have to have more staff on duty to ensure table service can run smoothly? Also the fact that it will put many people off going to a pub all together. And now they won’t have the opportunity to use to furlough scheme, so they may be forced into redundancies or run a risk of the pub going bust altogether.  

All for measures that have no scientific evidence will actually work ... I mean have they actually thought any of this through?! 

Just now, st dan said:

Aren’t these new 10pm curfews and table service only measures going to have a big impact on the pubs in particular?

Not only do they miss out on two hours of service (e.g. 9.30pm last orders rather than 11.30pm) but they also have to have more staff on duty to ensure table service can run smoothly? Also the fact that it will put many people off going to a pub all together. And now they won’t have the opportunity to use to furlough scheme, so they may be forced into redundancies or run a risk of the pub going bust altogether.  

All for measures that have no scientific evidence will actually work ... I mean have they actually thought any of this through?! 

yup will make it harder for a lot of pubs.

being forced to close would be worse though! a lot have already adapted this way

35 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

How's everyone getting there?

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

yup will make it harder for a lot of pubs.

being forced to close would be worse though! a lot have already adapted this way

Would be interesting to see a poll of pub landlords to see if they would rather be forced to close (with furlough continuing) vs remaining open with these new restrictions. 

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Would be interesting to see a poll of pub landlords to see if they would rather be forced to close (with furlough continuing) vs remaining open with these new restrictions. 

I'm guessing the government hoped it would be over by now, but as it's not and it looks like we're in the "new normal" for quite a long time, the free market kicks in?