When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, stuie said:

I just thought exactly the same! 

What is becoming apparent is that there is such a huge cost to these continuing attempts to control the virus. 

From this letter, cancer deaths due to late diagnosis and delayed treatment killing more people than the virus.  That’s before you even stop to consider unemployment, poverty, mental health and addiction related deaths. 

I think people are realising this more and seeing life must go on. 

Are you proposing to lift all restrictions, for the need for cancer treatment, routine scans etc, to go back to normal. The filling up of hospital beds with covid patients is completely counterproductive to that goal... It’s truly s**t and I don’t know what the answer is - we’ve somehow got to hit that ‘sweet spot’ where restrictions enable us to manage both

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What makes you think that? 

I'm probably wrong tbh. But the fact that Matt Hancock is in parliament now and not bracing anyone for further national measures or lockdown makes me think they'll be none tomorrow at Boris' address. 

They'll wait and see if the rule of six has done anything and by then any light restrictions won't make much difference. Like I said probably wrong. 

8 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

This Matt Hancock address, kinda makes me think Boris will give no new restrictions tomorrow. But instead will just be encouraging people to follow the rules.

They are gonna lockdown too late again 

Yeah his tone doesn’t imply we are going to get a whole load of more restrictions tomorrow. It also seems strange that more local measures would be announced if we going into a form of nationwide lockdown tomorrow. I think you might be right, or it’ll be very small changes with encouragement and enforcement of the rule of 6.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Tbh it’ll be a bit of a disgrace if France and Spain are “six weeks ahead of us” and get life continues as normal there, and yet here we are six weeks behind and looking at locking down. 

Or it'll be a bit of a disgrace if we have six weeks warning and don't do anything, ending up with deaths and cases rising just like them.  It's not as if everything is peachy in France and Spain.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Or it'll be a bit of a disgrace if we have six weeks warning and don't do anything, ending up with deaths and cases rising just like them.  It's not as if everything is peachy in France and Spain.

Spain has a Madrid local lockdown and that’s about it. France haven’t tightened measures. 

• Upvote 1

In the Commons Chris Grayling, the Tory former transport secretary, praises Hancock for the measures announced today. But he says there is considerable regional variation in the spread of coronavirus. In the light of that, Grayling says, he does not believes there is a case for tightening national restrictions.

I reckon more enforcement tomorrow and a planned circuit break for some point as per the Scotland document tomorrow. Maybe a 10pm curfew as well

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Especially after the warnings from Spain and Italy in March, they would be ripped to shreds if they missed this opportunity to get on top of the virus again - this BBC article sums up my thinking, tougher restrictions while allowing the new normal to slowly filter through  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54237289

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's my point.  We don't want to follow them.

They’re six weeks ahead of us and they aren’t looking like bringing in anything overly draconian, so it seems unfair that we’d get hit with restrictions when those countries are ahead of us on the curve and aren’t doing so. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

What Scotland is proposing

Maybe a 2 week circuit break over half term with more enforcement up until then?

( And the twitter guy is a nutter but Sturgeon herself basically said the leak is accurate)

Is the Scottish half-term at a different time to English, Welsh and Northern Irish? I think it’s early October rather than late due to the kids starting earlier in the summer?

Edited by Ryan1984

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

What Scotland is proposing

Maybe a 2 week circuit break over half term with more enforcement up until then?

( And the twitter guy is a nutter but Sturgeon herself basically said the leak is accurate)

That could be several weeks too late by that stage, more enforcement is all well and good but if the rule they are enforcing isn't going to work then it'll do very little.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

They’re six weeks ahead of us and they aren’t looking like bringing in anything overly draconian, so it seems unfair that we’d get hit with restrictions when those countries are ahead of us on the curve and aren’t doing so. 

If their lack of restrictions aren’t stopping the curve over there surely that’s more reason to have restrictions here now so we don’t end up as bad as they are? 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

People keep using the term "unfair" like the virus cares about being "fair". 

We're not the rest of Europe, what happens there won't necessarily be reflected here, and what's happening there is far from great. I'd rather do better than they have instead of being "fair".

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If their lack of restrictions aren’t stopping the curve over there surely that’s more reason to have restrictions here now so we don’t end up as bad as they are? 

Just to add to this, the current situation with new cases in France is like this:

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 16.20.49.png

France locked down early in the first wave and haven't in the 2nd. I'm not quite sure what that means....

Edited by Ozanne

7 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Is the Scottish half-term at a different time to English, Welsh and Northern Irish? I think it’s early October rather than late due to the kids starting earlier in the summer?

Yeah so when there's a circuit break at half-term we can all nip down south to spread/catch the thing and you can return the favour a couple of weeks later. 

If the plan is for a circuit break we really should be aligning across the four nations even if it means adjusting the term dates slightly.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Genuinely struggling to understand your point here.  You make it sound like it would be fair to allow us to plough ahead with no restrictions because that's what he neighbours are doing, with the result being the spike in infections that Whitty & Vallance are talking about?

Is that honestly what you're saying? We should allow infections to rocket because it's not fair that we can't go to the pub while France and Spain can?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Genuinely struggling to understand your point here.  You make it sound like it would be fair to allow us to plough ahead with no restrictions because that's what he neighbours are doing, with the result being the spike in infections that Whitty & Vallance are talking about?

Is that honestly what you're saying? We should allow infections to rocket because it's not fair that we can't go to the pub while France and Spain can?

well if we follow spain and France who have less strict lockdown measures than we do currently then in mid oct at worst we are hitting 10,000 cases a day like they are and not 49,000 cases a day

spains cases are now also dropping or at least levelling off

and nobody is saying no restrictions here, just not going overboard which will cripple the country

france are allowing 5000 people events to ahead in places! and night clubs are open in france and spain ( i think)

Edited by pryce