Jump to content

When will this shit end?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 33.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • steviewevie

    3865

  • crazyfool1

    2882

  • Ozanne

    2755

  • zahidf

    1824

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think on a music festival message board it’s a legitimate question to ask. It doesn’t suggest the OP doesn’t give a shit about anything else. Of course there are much bigger things to be worrie

Like I said I found the comments unfair on our great prime minister anyway downvote removed! Given the circumstances he is doing a brilliant job 

Prince Charles is isolating at Balmoral with COVID-19. Prince Andrew is isolating at Windsor with Jenny, 14.

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Do you reckon they might try and restrict travel, like advising people to stop holidaying in this country and making unnecessary journeys? Strongly suggesting you should only travel for work (if you can’t from home) and urgent issues etc?

I really think they should - for half term especially. I'm also amazed those in areas around Liverpool and Manchester are allowed to leave those areas for any reasons other than work really. Keep it contained. It clearly worked in Wuhan - obviously not saying be as strict as that but the principle is just common sense - if you have clear outbreak areas then isolate them from everywhere else as best you can, especially for non essential journeys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Interesting that Whitty and Valance are doing their thing in Monday, and Johnson on Tuesday....separating the politics from the science.

Yeah this is weird. I wonder if Whitty and Vallance will have press questions.

Splitting it out like this makes me think maybe no major restrictions this week but I don't know why. Maybe because Boris would rely heavily on the scientists to support what he was saying usually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah this is weird. I wonder if Whitty and Vallance will have press questions.

Splitting it out like this makes me think maybe no major restrictions this week but I don't know why. Maybe because Boris would rely heavily on the scientists to support what he was saying usually.

I’m hearing no media questions at Whitty/Valance briefing

 

My gut feeling is that those two want to lock down and the government is pushing back. Hence they’ve split into scientific briefing to explain the severity of the situation and then Boris to give us one last warning. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My worry with a 2 week lockdown now is that it will get cases down, but as temperatures drop more in November-December they will escalate a lot again. It feels a bit too soon, and I’m pretty confident a more serious lockdown is going to be needed in the winter months as things could get really bad again (much worse than right now).

By all means put more restrictions in regarding social distancing and masks and enforcement laws, and restrictions on hospitality, but if we shut everything down and restrict socialising now, are people really going to put up with it again 2 moths down the line?

You can only have so many lockdowns before people get fed up. We need to make sure we stop transmission now so the situation doesn’t escalate further, but whether a lockdown at this current moment is the right decision, I’m not sure, as I’m sure another will be needed this winter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we also need to look at trying to reduce transmission in key areas: secondary schools and pubs and restaurants. The former especially. There is no social distancing or mask wearing, kids are in ridiculous bubbles of over 100-200 and hundreds are getting sent into isolation in the event of one positive test.

In pubs and restaurants, I am a firm believer of mask mandate for customers when not at table, and for staff too. Tighten up on ensuring places are track and tracing (I ate yesterday and was not asked details). And no more ordering at the bar or at the counter, table service only to reduce crowding and moving around all the time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

I can’t see how this rule of 6 is going to work. I’m sorry but I could see 200 people in a day at university at freshers but just go between groups of 6 at different tables and not be breaking any rules. (Obviously I’m not going to do this). A lot of students are seeing more than 6 people at a time, and I know because I have friends at university who are not sticking to the rules.

Plus, i really didn’t realise people were meeting in groups larger than 6 really before anyway, aside from the illegal raves... and they aren’t going to stop. 

I agree, I don’t think the rule of 6 will do much. People weren’t meeting in groups larger than 6 anyway I reckon. Certainly people I know knew the rules as no more than 6 people outside and no more than 2 households inside so stuck to those rules. Now it’s more households together inside so in theory it might not make much difference.

 

I still think Boris will tighten something this week maybe advise against non-essential travel and advise working from home. The circuit breaker won’t have gone away, it’s probably going to be used sooner rather than later. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

General public confidence has gone and who can be surprised? Government bodged it the first time and now understandably people will be resistant to any further national actions.

Add in the geographical disparity with positive cases etc. and this only increases resentment.

Edit: currently stands at -

Yes = 29%

No = 71%

Edited by JoeyT
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what time the science bods are on? Was thinking about this some more and I wonder if the decision to have them on their own is due to the fall in public confidence for the government I.e. no one trusts Boris any more but they might trust the scientists? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Anyone know what time the science bods are on? Was thinking about this some more and I wonder if the decision to have them on their own is due to the fall in public confidence for the government I.e. no one trusts Boris any more but they might trust the scientists? 

11am I believe.

Although no one trusts the government I think the issue has much to do with trying to keep 66 million people under restrictions & the human psychology associated with that. Especially when the volume of people at risk out of that number is relatively low.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Whitty/Vallance will lay out the possible restrictions and timescales, then once the gov has seen how popular the different options are, Bojo will announce that everyone's favourite choice will be brought in.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zahidf said:

Well no decision yet. But sounds like some in the cabinet want to see if the rule of six works

yeah, this is what bloke on news said last night. They need to give any new restriction 2 weeks to see if has any effect. Problem is in 2 weeks things could have got out of control. But...I 'm guessing this week will be trying to get the message across that really need to keep the fuck away from each other otherwise we will have to lock down and things could get more draconian this time...fines and stuff. Bring it on. Dystopian movie time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

11am I believe.

Although no one trusts the government I think the issue has much to do with trying to keep 66 million people under restrictions & the human psychology associated with that. Especially when the volume of people at risk out of that number is relatively low.

Along the psychology side of it they made huge error going on about turning the tide in 12 weeks as it gave a lot of people the mindframe it would all be over in a few months, any other lockdowns will see a huge surge in people suffering mental health problems, for example I knew late on in lockdown I was struggling not seeing friends and family and having to stay within the same place 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I wonder if Whitty/Vallance will lay out the possible restrictions and timescales, then once the gov has seen how popular the different options are, Bojo will announce that everyone's favourite choice will be brought in.

yeah, probably be restrictions on immigration and blm protests.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, this is what bloke on news said last night. They need to give any new restriction 2 weeks to see if has any effect. Problem is in 2 weeks things could have got out of control. But...I 'm guessing this week will be trying to get the message across that really need to keep the fuck away from each other otherwise we will have to lock down and things could get more draconian this time...fines and stuff. Bring it on. Dystopian movie time.

Yeah I'm starting to think nothing will actually get announced this week but it will just be a lot of warning and telling off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

General public confidence has gone and who can be surprised? Government bodged it the first time and now understandably people will be resistant to any further national actions.

Add in the geographical disparity with positive cases etc. and this only increases resentment.

Edit: currently stands at -

Yes = 29%

No = 71%

yeah...but twitter polls are not real life.

I'm guessing public is now split...with some very anxious about this virus and wanting things to shut again so doesn't get out of control...and some who thinks we need to just get on with it and get back to normal. Thing is, they're both right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Along the psychology side of it they made huge error going on about turning the tide in 12 weeks as it gave a lot of people the mindframe it would all be over in a few months, any other lockdowns will see a huge surge in people suffering mental health problems, for example I knew late on in lockdown I was struggling not seeing friends and family and having to stay within the same place 

Yeah, people need a few more facts and bit less Boris blustering bullshit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So many of my friends have struggled this week, like a few on here, as we’ve got to that six-month mark and it just seems never ending.
Not sure getting a headmaster-style telling off from this lot - after being so good and sticking to the guidelines and advice - is going to help anyone’s mental health.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

So many of my friends have struggled this week, like a few on here, as we’ve got to that six-month mark and it just seems never ending.
Not sure getting a headmaster-style telling off from this lot - after being so good and sticking to the guidelines and advice - is going to help anyone’s mental health.

 

Yeah, it's rough. Starting to feel it myself actually. Could be a long winter. Seems like a lot of the blitz spirit thing from the spring has gone, and we're just going to end up fighting each other.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Why aren't Whitty and Valance doing this thing when more people would be watching...yesterday evening or this evening?

Yeah that's what I don't get. Sense of it urgency about it maybe? Get it on all the news bulletins throughout the day afterwards?

Another cynical thought: is this an attempt to distract from the financial scandal which is now dominating BBC headlines at least?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

 

 

Yeah that's what I don't get. Sense of it urgency about it maybe? Get it on all the news bulletins throughout the day afterwards?

Another cynical thought: is this an attempt to distract from the financial scandal which is now dominating BBC headlines at least?

surely not. I mean...you never know...but nah.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...