When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

BBC have made this breaking news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54065793

Is Van Tam the guy who basically said Cummings was wrong? And then kind of disappeared from the briefings?

I'm just wondering whether the government will listen to him at all.

I like this guy but I do feel this is pushing the blame on us guys again, but the Gov has been pushing and pushing to get back to normal since 4th July, its safe to go on holiday, it's safe to go out to bars/restaurants, it's safe to travel on public transports, get back to the office - its just push push push so people are doing that and understanding getting frustrate with conflicting advice and blame 

1st sentence 

Quote "Prof Jonathan Van Tam said people have "relaxed too much" over the summer and "we have got to start taking this very seriously again". Unquote

Just now, shoptildrop said:

I like this guy but I do feel this is pushing the blame on us guys again, but the Gov has been pushing and pushing to get back to normal since 4th July, its safe to go on holiday, it's safe to go out to bars/restaurants, it's safe to travel on public transports, get back to the office - its just push push push so people are doing that and understanding getting frustrate with conflicting advice and blame 

1st sentence 

Quote "Prof Jonathan Van Tam said people have "relaxed too much" over the summer and "we have got to start taking this very seriously again". Unquote

I completely agree with you actually. It's really shitty to blame young people in the way they are doing when as you say the messaging has really been pushing get back to normal hard. I'm wondering if this is all part of the plan - let it spread more but blame the public - but I just don't credit this government with the intelligence to pull that off.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I completely agree with you actually. It's really shitty to blame young people in the way they are doing when as you say the messaging has really been pushing get back to normal hard. I'm wondering if this is all part of the plan - let it spread more but blame the public - but I just don't credit this government with the intelligence to pull that off.

It's been suggested before that they would deflect the blame on us if anything goes wrong when they changed the slogan to "stay alert"

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

BBC have made this breaking news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54065793

Is Van Tam the guy who basically said Cummings was wrong? And then kind of disappeared from the briefings?

I'm just wondering whether the government will listen to him at all.

That’s the first time he’s been seen since he went rogue in that briefing a few months back! I see he’s learnt the error of his ways 😆

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Are parkrun being a bit optimistic? October is when cases could really be increasing. I know it's outside, but large groups of people running together..?

Not necessarily: it all depends on how an increased infection numbers impact on society, and in particular, the NHS. Almost 6 months ago we went into lockdown with a slogan of "Save the NHS" and fears it would be overwhelmed. IF (yes a big if) the impact of the virus has changed, IF hospitalization rate remains low, IF the mortality rate has declined, then government could begin to treat covid-19 in a similar way to seasonal flu.

53 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Kids don’t vote Tory so blame them and keep the voters on side?

Appealing to their fan base. Didn’t quite work with blaming the BLM protestors when the Mighty Morphin Statue Defenders showed up and if Brexit showed us anything, it’s that they hate young people almost as much as foreigners.

Would agree parkrun is being optimistic but obviously I’m no expert and I imagine they’d only put something out if assured the plan would be safe... Guessing the statement was written up before the weekend rises? Will be interesting to see what happens with the culture meeting today as they want pantomime season on and crowds back in football stadiums next month.

Edited by Ryan1984
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

Not necessarily: it all depends on how an increased infection numbers impact on society, and in particular, the NHS. Almost 6 months ago we went into lockdown with a slogan of "Save the NHS" and fears it would be overwhelmed. IF (yes a big if) the impact of the virus has changed, IF hospitalization rate remains low, IF the mortality rate has declined, then government could begin to treat covid-19 in a similar way to seasonal flu.

yeah...sure...but that is being optimistic, right? Anyway, good luck to them.

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Appealing to their fan base. Didn’t quite work with blaming the BLM protestors when the Mighty Morphin Statue Defenders showed up and if Brexit showed us anything, it’s that they hate young people almost as much as foreigners.

Would agree parkrun is being optimistic but obviously I’m no expert and I imagine they’d only put something out if assured the plan would be safe... Guessing the statement was written up before the weekend rises? Will be interesting to see what happens with the culture meeting today as they want pantomime season on and crowds back in football stadiums next month.

Upvoted for Mighty Morphin Statue Defenders