When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 hours ago, SheffJeff said:

I'm not sure whether this is a plausible scientific hypothesis or just wishful thinking but it could be another reason for the recent increase in cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54000629

It ties in with what the New York Times was saying earlier in the week. 

Interestingly my Friend who works in an NHS lab says they actually do record the amount of virus found. But nobody in the NHS or PHE has ever asked for more than a Yes/No response to ‘does this sample have some traces of the virus.’

This adds ammo to those saying we need to move to mass instant testing. Those tests may not be as accurate but should still find a lot of those who are actually really infectious while allowing relaxing of a lot of the current restrictions on our Lives.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Sky bet have Biden 10/11 & Trump 10/11. Of course that could just mean they have taken more bets on Trump, but  I'm starting to worry.

I hope I'm wrong & shredded wheat head gets smashed to smithereens in November, but I'm less confident by the day!

I'm putting quite a bit of money on Biden this weekend. Even if Trump somehow pulls it out of the bag, I'll feel I made the best decision with the available information at the time.

There is no way Biden and Trump have an equal chance of winning this. Who knows what could happen, but we're just two months away and there's barely been any real tightening. 

Betting markets are partly a reflection of overconfident right wingers and fearful centrists/lefties betting on Trump as "emotional insurance". Remember the same betting markets made Remain and Clinton much heavier favourites than they should have been.

11 hours ago, Quark said:

Yeah I can see that being the case for clubs where there's more regular outgoing costs. I've heard of this being paid malarkey, at mine we're happy to get a plate of scran and a jug of bitter after the game :lol:

😂 

Playing for the love of it! I’ve only a few years left and I’ll be back there! 

whats your club? 

Report here for @zahidf and @Zoo Music Girl re our intermittent chat re London comedy clubs that are opening.

I saw last night that Up The Creek in Greenwich is reopening at the end of the month (when the Greenwich Com Festival is on, wonder if there will be any crossover/guests?). Checked the (amazing) Sunday Special (which happens there on Sundays) website and they don't have any update yet.

This led me to have a quick look on Chortle and both Banana Cabaret in Balham and Tattershall Castle on the Thames are afloat again.

They all claim to have social distancing in place.

Unfortunately the latter two only really work if you have a table of four people minimum going.

Edited by Homer

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fucking hell I don't think Trump will win, but I think it's going to be so anxiety inducing and hideous. Anyone else want to pull an all nighter and watch the whole thing play out? I a bit do.

I've booked the next day off work already.

I'm a bit of a politics geek so I usually do that for UK and US elections. In 2016 I decided not to bother because it seemed such a foregone conclusion so I think I probably jinxed the whole thing and I'm not going to let it happen again this time.

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I wonder if this is Trump's "emails" scandal?

Let's face it, as stupid as it was, the thing with Clinton's personal email shouldn't have been big enough a deal to bring down her campaign, but it did. Much of that was to do with the timing of when it hit the headlines.

Similarly, this 2-year-old vet story is far from the worst thing Trump has said or done in the last 4 years, but it couldn't have come at a worse time for him. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but it feels like if there's one country where slagging of veterans is a vote-loser, it's the US.

15 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'm a bit of a politics geek so I usually do that for UK and US elections. In 2016 I decided not to bother because it seemed such a foregone conclusion so I think I probably jinxed the whole thing and I'm not going to let it happen again this time.

You got any recommendations for books on current/recent politics (please)?

38 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Might be a few weeks before we know the result with the postal vote thing?

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Report here for @zahidf and @Zoo Music Girl re our intermittent chat re London comedy clubs that are opening.

I saw last night that Up The Creek in Greenwich is reopening at the end of the month (when the Greenwich Com Festival is on, wonder if there will be any crossover/guests?). Checked the (amazing) Sunday Special (which happens there on Sundays) website and they don't have any update yet.

This led me to have a quick look on Chortle and both Banana Cabaret in Balham and Tattershall Castle on the Thames are afloat again.

They all claim to have social distancing in place.

Unfortunately the latter two only really work if you have a table of four people minimum going.

Cheers for the update! Good to know stuff is happening again. Hopefully we will be back to something in a few months. Would love to see The Phoenix, Leicester Square theatre and Soho theatre back open as those are our usual haunts.

47 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Yeah I have that day off too at the moment, by chance as much as anything, but I'm not going to book anything in. I know we likely won't get a result but I love all the analysis. Used to love Hitchins on the US ones (Christopher, not Peter!).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think it could take a few days to get a result, but don't they count postal votes beforehand? Not sure though. Anyone remember last time?

I guess there may need to be re-counts if close or someone disputes result or something?

Hopefully we'll know for sure the next day and Trump will be out.