When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Well it seems they realised that mask wearing was in fact effective against disease, you would have thought that scientists would have worked that out a bit sooner if it were true, like in the last few hundred years of medical advancement, but better late than never I guess.

ok so please tell me what you point is here .?  im trying to be objecting and fair but struggling somewhat 

14 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

@Toilet Duck I've been wearing this anti-viral coated snod thing as don't like things round my ears as gets tangled in both glasses and hearing aid - do you think this mask is better?

I honestly couldn’t say unfortunately! I don’t know what the “anti-viral” nature of it is...if it has more than 1 layer, or is moisture repellent outside, then it should be ok. 

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yep, heavens forbid that understanding of transmission, contagion, human behavioural patterns, travel, population densities, and previously unencountered diseases should change over time as we learn more.

Based on that you might as well ask why they didn't prioritise clean water and sewage treatment instead of blaming the miasma for cholera.  Still, better late than never eh?

I was just about to post this in response to ozanne, this is from 4th march,

England’s chief medical officer has warned the public wearing face masks will do little to combat the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

Professor Chris Whitty told Sky News on Wednesday that wearing a face mask had almost no effect on reducing the risk of contracting the illness.

Prof Whitty said: “In terms of wearing a mask, our advice is clear: that wearing a mask if you don’t have an infection reduces the risk almost not at all. So we do not advise that.”

“The only people we do sometimes use masks for are people who have got an infection and that is to help them to stop it spreading around," he added.

Covid 19 is new but the way it is spread is not, if the top scientists in the world didn't know back in March that wearing masks would help stop the spread they are not as bright as we give them credit for.

Edited by gizmoman
double quote

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

I honestly couldn’t say unfortunately! I don’t know what the “anti-viral” nature of it is...if it has more than 1 layer, or is moisture repellent outside, then it should be ok. 

It's single layer but can be folded, the claim is that the anti-viral coating acts like a WR coating would (sell points below)

• Each individual shield is coated with our unique Viruferrin™ coating
  • SARS-CoV-2 binds to Viruferrin™
  • Tested by world-leading scientists
  • Reusable, washable and environmentally friendly
  • Lightweight and breathable fabric
  • 50 times more wear than single-use masks
  • Antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial and antioxidant

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Prof Whitty said: “In terms of wearing a mask, our advice is clear: that wearing a mask if you don’t have an infection reduces the risk almost not at all. So we do not advise that.”

isn't the issue asymptomatic transmission ? and has been all along ? 

9 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

England’s chief medical officer has warned the public wearing face masks will do little to combat the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

Professor Chris Whitty told Sky News on Wednesday that wearing a face mask had almost no effect on reducing the risk of contracting the illness.

“The only people we do sometimes use masks for are people who have got an infection and that is to help them to stop it spreading around," he added.

Covid 19 is new but the way it is spread is not, if the top scientists in the world didn't know back in March that wearing masks would help stop the spread they are not as bright as we give them credit for.

“The only people we do sometimes use masks for are people who have got an infection and that is to help them to stop it spreading around," he added."

4th March. We're nearly 5 months down the line now.  I'm no Toilet Duck, but I'd say that's time for understanding of a previously unknown virus (or variant of a virus) to be better understood and more effective ways of dealing with it to be developed, no? Particularly the point about asymptomatic spreaders.

The govt flip flop messaging has been an absolute shitshow, which has definitely created the vacuum for these kinds of arguments to proliferate.  There's also a cultural aspect; in SE Asia the use of masks is far more common than it is in the West, so taking that step to enforce it here was probably seen as a much greater political jump than they wanted to make.

Edited by Quark

7 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

this is what I meant by my original question...the evidence must have changed. Weren't WHO originally not advising mask wearing, and then this changed? The main change is the aerosol affect? Or is it also so people feel confident about going to the shops etc?

Actually still don't see Whitty and co promoting mask wearing so much.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

isn't the issue asymptomatic transmission ? and has been all along ? 

Yes, Toilet duck's just made that point in his reply to my other post, now I just need to be persuaded that the asymptomatic cases are real and not just false positives! (only joking).

10 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

He’s essentially still right, general face masks don’t have any impact on you contracting the virus it’s stops you partially at least from spreading it. He even says it right here:

The only people we do sometimes use masks for are people who have got an infection and that is to help them to stop it spreading around," he added.

8 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

It's single layer but can be folded, the claim is that the anti-viral coating acts like a WR coating would (sell points below)

• Each individual shield is coated with our unique Viruferrin™ coating
  • SARS-CoV-2 binds to Viruferrin™
  • Tested by world-leading scientists
  • Reusable, washable and environmentally friendly
  • Lightweight and breathable fabric
  • 50 times more wear than single-use masks
  • Antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial and antioxidant

Sounds fancy! I see though that they are actually carrying out a non-clinical trial to see how useful they are, so, maybe!

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Yes, Toilet duck's just made that point in his reply to my other post, now I just need to be persuaded that the asymptomatic cases are real and not just false positives! (only joking).

Why must you be this way?! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He’s essentially still right, general face masks don’t have any impact on you contracting the virus it’s stops you partially at least from spreading it. He even says it right here:

The only people we do sometimes use masks for are people who have got an infection and that is to help them to stop it spreading around," he added.

The bit in bold is the key point (even back in March)..,just didn’t know that there were lots of completely asymptomatic individuals who were still very infectious wandering about!

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this is what I meant by my original question...the evidence must have changed. Weren't WHO originally not advising mask wearing, and then this changed? The main change is the aerosol affect? Or is it also so people feel confident about going to the shops etc?

Actually still don't see Whitty and co promoting mask wearing so much.

As has just been posted they seem to have realised that there were a lot of asymptomatic carriers and so the masks would help stop them spreading the disease, the good news is if that is correct and there were many infected people walking about we must be nearer to herd immunity than has been thought and so we don't need to be as concerned about the spread now.

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

Sounds fancy! I see though that they are actually carrying out a non-clinical trial to see how useful they are, so, maybe!

Well I've been wearing mine since beginning of May so I hope it's okay (not caught anything yet). I like it's easy to use and with it coming from a local firm, I feel it's helping local business too :) 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He’s essentially still right, general face masks don’t have any impact on you contracting the virus it’s stops you partially at least from spreading it.

They can’t say masks stop the transmission of the virus as it leaves them open for claims against the government if people contract the virus while wearing a mask. 

All people have to understand is that more people wearing masks will significantly reduce the chances of catching the virus compared to no one wearing a mask at all. 

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

😂😂😂

on a serious note though, some probably are, but not all. I bet during winter if we looked for asymptomatic carriers of the other CoVs, we’d find loads. It just seems to be a feature of these viruses, but we’ve never looked as they just causes a cold, so hard to get funding to do something like that! 

7 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

As has just been posted they seem to have realised that there were a lot of asymptomatic carriers and so the masks would help stop them spreading the disease, the good news is if that is correct and there were many infected people walking about we must be nearer to herd immunity than has been thought and so we don't need to be as concerned about the spread now.

I'm sure they knew that some people were asymptomatic back in March.

Maybe UK govt didn't want to advise masks in early days as they were worried about PPE for health/care workers? Maybe it just went against their Bojo's libertarian beliefs? Maybe by advising masks they wanted to pass on more responsibiity to the publc...along with the whole shift of stay home to stay alert?

Edited by steviewevie

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm sure they knew that some people were asymptomatic back in March.

we knew in Feb as that bloke super spreader than did a conference in Singapore, went on hols in France, came to the UK went to the gym and then finally got sick after spreading asymptomatically for the last 7-10 days :( 

yet even now they still go on that you can only get tested if show symptoms and to my mind down play asymptomatic spreading