When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

55 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Agreed... I’m happy to wear a mask to protect myself and others, but I find them sufficiently uncomfortable that I’d rather just avoid situations when they’re necessary, so for now I’m mainly shopping online and I’d choose to prolong my WFH period if my office mandated masks.

You really like to act like wearing a mask is such a hardship don't you!

It's literally a bit of cloth on your face. I could easily wear one for work for a whole shift if needed, just think about all the intensive care workers who have to wear more PPE than us and they manage just fine, don't really think its such a burden to be honest.

I'm not really talking about offices here, the key places where masks should be mandated are for public-facing jobs such as shop workers, restaurant workers, bar and pub workers, barber workers etc. We have already seen that there can be outbreaks between staff in supermarkets or in pubs between the workers as there is no form of mitigation as staff don't social distance.

Even more important is factory workers to be supplied with PPE and that PPE to be mandated in and around the factory. We've already seen with the sandwich factory, dessert factory, on the farm; these settings are very significant places where virus outbreaks are occurring and PPE should be mandated in and around those settings.

Offices are less important, they don't seem to be such a major contributor to outbreaks, but it would make sense for masks to be mandatory when moving around the office but can take off when sat at your desk, the exact same policy as which should be implemented in pubs and restaurants but blindly hasn't been.

I am pretty confident Matt Hancock will do a u-turn on this one and there will be an uproar, give it 4 weeks and the policy will be reversed and supermarket and factory workers will need PPE. Once cases start spiking again they will have no choice but to take action.

19 minutes ago, zahidf said:

812 cases today. Fourth day in a row when cases are lower than last week

Yay!

I reckon a lot of these cases being registered are imported from other countries.

People from the college I went to last year just went to split in Croatia and have been partying at all these nightclubs, no social distancing whatsoever etc. They have just come back the other day and now they all have coronavirus and are all doing a 2 week self isolation. I'm pretty confident that the government will add Croatia to the quarantine list come tomorrow as I think there are definitely lots of British tourists going out there and partying and bringing cases back in. You have to be tested on arrival to Croatia and they were all negative, so they definitely picked the virus up whilst on their holiday as we can all see the cases are escalating. 

Just really makes you think why would anyone want to put them in a mass gathering situation now; the chances of getting the virus are so high in those situations. I'll stick to my socially distant meals out and socially distant coast holiday next week.

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

People from the college I went to last year just went to split in Croatia and have been partying at all these nightclubs, no social distancing whatsoever etc. They have just come back the other day and now they all have coronavirus and are all doing a 2 week self isolation. I'm pretty confident that the government will add Croatia to the quarantine list come tomorrow as I think there are definitely lots of British tourists going out there and partying and bringing cases back in. You have to be tested on arrival to Croatia and they were all negative, so they definitely picked the virus up whilst on their holiday as we can all see the cases are escalating. 

Just really makes you think why would anyone want to put them in a mass gathering situation now; the chances of getting the virus are so high in those situations. I'll stick to my socially distant meals out and socially distant coast holiday next week.

I don’t think we’ve got a lot right as a country but it really beggars belief other countries have nightclubs open. Enclosed spaces, loud music leading to shouting, alcohol leading to poorer judgement; It just seems like a no brainier to keep them shut.

Or maybe I’m just a grumpy old man who never liked them anyway.

9 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I reckon a lot of these cases being registered are imported from other countries.

I think come September and once the traditional summer holiday period ends we could see a decrease in cases, there are countries that have seen a growth in cases much faster than ours that haven't implemented quarantines which I think may leave them in a worse situation so hopefully the cases continue to decline or stay below the previous weeks 

1 minute ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

I don’t think we’ve got a lot right as a country but it really beggars belief other countries have nightclubs open. Enclosed spaces, loud music leading to shouting, alcohol leading to poorer judgement; It just seems like a no brainier to keep them shut.

I’m missing having a dance to some cheesy music ..... wether anyone else is missing my dancing to cheesy music though is probably quite the opposite ... our local nightclub has apparently opened as a bar .. with seated drinking only .. not sure I’d fancy going in there though ... it’s gonna take more than a pandemic to improve it ... 

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think come September and once the traditional summer holiday period ends we could see a decrease in cases, there are countries that have seen a growth in cases much faster than ours that haven't implemented quarantines which I think may leave them in a worse situation so hopefully the cases continue to decline or stay below the previous weeks 

Fingers crossed for the schools making no significant change to the numbers .. that’s the next big test to get through 

9 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

100% agree with you. Croatia was basically covid free as well, then they decided to open the nightclubs and let all the tourists in.

What a mistake they’ve made.

Plus, I’m not a fan of nightclubs either. I find them really cramped and claustrophobic, and recorded music and people getting way too close to you, it’s a no go from me. Live music events all the way for me.

8 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think you are right. One thing our government has done well has been very efficient with introducing the quarantines, albeit not left the public with any notice but still it’s good to take swift action.

21 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Offices are less important, they don't seem to be such a major contributor to outbreaks, but it would make sense for masks to be mandatory when moving around the office but can take off when sat at your desk, the exact same policy as which should be implemented in pubs and restaurants but blindly hasn't been.

I think the reason why we are not seeing outbreak in offices is because there are very little people working in them, I work in an office for 750-800 people we have a 50% capacity rule and WFH where you can.

Other friends in similar environment a lot of places are doing rotation shifts per week, again to keep overall capacity down - so I do think numbers are low because of it.

With mask wearing in offices if the measures are as above then I think masks should be worn when walking around the building but be allowed to be taken off when you are at your desk.

I'm still on furlough but my job can easily be done from home so when/if I get asked back I will be pushing for that if I can

8 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

100% agree with you. Croatia was basically covid free as well, then they decided to open the nightclubs and let all the tourists in.

What a mistake they’ve made.

Plus, I’m not a fan of nightclubs either. I find them really cramped and claustrophobic, and recorded music and people getting way too close to you, it’s a no go from me. Live music events all the way for me.

it's a big part of their economy.

4 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I think the reason why we are not seeing outbreak in offices is because there are very little people working in them, I work in an office for 750-800 people we have a 50% capacity rule and WFH where you can.

Other friends in similar environment a lot of places are doing rotation shifts per week, again to keep overall capacity down - so I do think numbers are low because of it.

With mask wearing in offices if the measures are as above then I think masks should be worn when walking around the building but be allowed to be taken off when you are at your desk.

I'm still on furlough but my job can easily be done from home so when/if I get asked back I will be pushing for that if I can

That to me seems sensible ... in my job there are times when you get into some tight situations that are close quarters ... it’s at those times that I feel on edge and not all the time ... but as it’s better not to be touching them and the times might be unpredictable so taking them on and off would be stupid and we sell the message to customers I feel wearing them is a sensible precaution to be taking 

19 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

if I was 30 years younger I would be missing them. A lot.

I don't miss anything now though...just want my kid to fuck off back to school...that's all.

Ive took my holiday to Spain, Ryan air flight 40% full, spain rules are wear mask everywhere unless sat down to eat and drink, so everyone masked up constantly. Lots of social distancing and cleaning happening. Spending most of the time in the villa but had a meal out, sat outside took masks off to eat came home. 

all feels a lot safer than the UK

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Ive took my holiday to Spain, Ryan air flight 40% full, spain rules are wear mask everywhere unless sat down to eat and drink, so everyone masked up constantly. Lots of social distancing and cleaning happening. Spending most of the time in the villa but had a meal out, sat outside took masks off to eat came home. 

all feels a lot safer than the UK

I do think this is the most sensible option - the government must be scared that the crazy conspiracy theory lot would be outraged enough to not go to the pub, when they are the ones most likely to carry on as normal and help the economy because they either don't believe the virus exists or that it's scaremongering by the media and we should open up. Making them wear their "muzzles" would maybe make them not bother. 

It may end up happening anyway as everything goes indoors as the weather changes and cases inevitably go up

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

You really like to act like wearing a mask is such a hardship don't you!

It's literally a bit of cloth on your face. I could easily wear one for work for a whole shift if needed, just think about all the intensive care workers who have to wear more PPE than us and they manage just fine, don't really think its such a burden to be honest.

I think it's personally reasonable to not like masks, so to avoid situations where they need to be worn, whilst still being committed to wearing one where required.  In fact, not being in a place where a mask is needed is much better than putting yourself in harms way and wearing a mask. 

If you think it's just a piece of cloth, then I'm not sure what kind of mask you're wearing?  I wear an N95 mask and it's not something I'd like to wear for a full shift.  A surgical mask is pretty comfortable, but it's pretty open to the air.  You seem to be admonishing someone who may well be acting more safely than yourself - be careful what behaviours you're actually trying to advocate.

I had no issue with your other points, that's why I edited them out of the quote.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think it's personally reasonable to not like masks, so to avoid situations where they need to be worn, whilst still being committed to wearing one where required.  In fact, not being in a place where a mask is needed is much better than putting yourself in harms way and wearing a mask. 

If you think it's just a piece of cloth, then I'm not sure what kind of mask you're wearing?  I wear an N95 mask and it's not something I'd like to wear for a full shift.  A surgical mask is pretty comfortable, but it's pretty open to the air.  You seem to be admonishing someone who may well be acting more safely than yourself - be careful what behaviours you're actually trying to advocate.

I had no issue with your other points, that's why I edited them out of the quote.

I’m either wearing surgical mask or a polygene mask with viral-off technology (supposedly). I’ve worn an N95 before and I agree it’s not comfortable as breathing is restricted- and would only wear it for a public transport journey as opposed to other indoor activities. 

I agree with you completely and I agree my previous post was completely mis-judged and pretty insensitive from me. I would like to apologise to @Fuzzy Afro and anyone else who I have offended along the way with my post- sometimes I write too hastily and can get a bit worked up.

Lots of people out and about in masks though in my local town today, and all restaurant staff were wearing them, which made me feel personally safer. So I was grateful. 🙂

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’m either wearing surgical mask or a polygene mask with viral-off technology (supposedly). I’ve worn an N95 before and I agree it’s not comfortable as breathing is restricted- and would only wear it for a public transport journey as opposed to other indoor activities. 

I agree with you completely and I agree my previous post was completely mis-judged and pretty insensitive from me. I would like to apologise to @Fuzzy Afro and anyone else who I have offended along the way with my post- sometimes I write too hastily and can get a bit worked up.

Lots of people out and about in masks though in my local town today, and all restaurant staff were wearing them, which made me feel personally safer. So I was grateful. 🙂

Thanks for the apology. Should clarify I’m not anti mask by any means, just think that wearing them for 30 mins in a setting you’ve elected to enter (shop or transport) is a heck of a lot easier than doing an 8 hour work shift wearing one.

I share a flat with my brother and he tested positive over the weekend :( more bloody isolation for me, although somehow I’m still negative. Good news is that he feels absolutely fine and is literally doing online Zumba classes despite having a deadly illness