When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

53 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

@DeanoLseems like you’re not actually reading my replies where I say I’m agreeing with you. So there’s really no sense in continuing this convo. I’ll pray for you. 

In some cases on internet forums, quoting a post doesn't mean replying directly to you or starting an argument, it's just taking a point you make a commenting/expanding on it.

41 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

In some cases on internet forums, quoting a post doesn't mean replying directly to you or starting an argument, it's just taking a point you make a commenting/expanding on it.

Fair enough. Your reply reads as though you didn’t actually acknowledge what I was saying and because of that assembled a bit of a straw man around it. As for the praying thing, I’m not sure.

Some people’s recovery from illness can be credited - by them - as being because of their relationship with ‘god’. Similarly true of notions of ‘fighting’. Which is why we express ‘fighting’ as a verb for how we try and beat illness. It doesn’t matter if you or I don’t believe in ‘god’, it can still be important for the person. The thing with saying ‘praying’ in these things - to me - is that it validates this idea in a space where I think it doesn’t belong. In a funny kind of way I would almost rather they said “Boris’s relationship with god will help him” rather than “we’ll pray for him”. As that at least would be referring to Boris’ personal beliefs not a collective idea about ‘we’ll pray’

edit: no idea if BoJo belueves in all that stuff, so may be bad example. 

Edited by whitehorses

2 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I remember this article at the time and my thoughts were thus will spread like wildfire through China due to Chinese New year movement of millions of people..

WHO announced this as an public health emergency on 30th Jan and our 1st case in UK 31st Jan.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think most the criticism will be why the government did prepare enough during all of Feb. Especially when the clusters started popping up around Europe. It was already here from Jan and would only be a matter of time until it got bigger.

As you say though most folk weren't taking it that seriously as it wasn't here, most of my colleagues were downplaying or calling it nonsense even in mid-march which amazed be tbh :(

I read a great article about Everton's Chief Executive - she apparently saw what was blindingly clear in January and the club had a plan for what eventually happened by the end of the month. The staff all had software installed for home working etc. Great leadership and foresight. 

https://theathletic.com/1721173/2020/04/03/denise-barrett-baxendale-everton-coronavirus?source=shared-article - it's a subscription site but everyone can read one free article a month (highly recommended if you like in depth football articles- it's more like 442 Magazine in digital form than a tabloid sports section). 

I know we're not in a position to criticise but reading this you really do feel that we could've been more prepared as a country. It feels like the government only took it seriously when people insisted they did, rather than leading and telling them it was serious. 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Like 1

Whilst I understand why people get irritated with terminology like 'fighting' disease and being prayed for whether they want it or not, to me language around death is always going to be clumsy and inadequate.  I can't get too excited about it as it just forms part of a backdrop of language irritations, e.g. interviewees on the radio starting every answer with 'so' or people inexplicably believing they've become management consultants and using the term 'going forwards' as though it were going out of fashion.

You'll definitely end up bitter and twisted if you try to right these perceived wrongs against the English language.  The best response  is just to see the comedy in our use of language and I think the great Norm Macdonald takes the prize when it comes to the concept of 'battling' terminal illness:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Whilst I understand why people get irritated with terminology like 'fighting' disease and being prayed for whether they want it or not, to me language around death is always going to be clumsy and inadequate.

I'm prepared to forgive Raab his choice of words as clumsy and inadequate.

But that doesn't alter the fact that there was a nasty inference from the words that he used.

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

But that doesn't alter the fact that there was a nasty inference from the words that he used.

Yup. It's a long standing issue when talking about cancer though: the terminology of winning/fighting. It's a general linguistic thing for all deadly diseases which needs to change imo

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'll be honest with you: I haven't paid much attention to this particular controversy over his use of words here. It won't have appeared on my radar because it holds about as much significance to me as being told Hitler used to be an inattentive driver.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, steviewevie said:

21 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Italy went into lockdown with 800 deaths, we went in to lockdown with less than half of that. This report makes no sense. 

We've now exceeded Italy's highest daily deaths with most estimates that we're at least a week away from our peak. Wouldn't surprise me if this report is accurate :(

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We've now exceeded Italy's highest daily deaths with most estimates that we're at least a week away from our peak. Wouldn't surprise me if this report is accurate :(

Not sure that’s true, yet. Italy hit 971 deaths on 28/03. I can’t reconcile how Italy will hit 20k deaths and well hit 60k.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not sure that’s true, yet. Italy hit 971 deaths on 28/03. I can’t reconcile how Italy will hit 20k deaths and well hit 60k.

Oh, I thought you were just questioning whether we would have it worse than Italy at all - three times does seem on the high side, I agree - but that's the thing with exponential numbers - you only have to overshoot by a little bit to have many X times the deaths. They're just not intuitive how big the end results can be from relatively small differences.

11 hours ago, DeanoL said:

The NHS are working brilliantly to help him.

Because it's the NHS who will help people, not victims "fighting".

Not strictly true. There are plenty of studies that show the attitude of the patient is important. I realise the country is on a mission to deify anyone who works for the NHS but they basically keep people alive whilst the body fights the disease.

• Upvote 1