When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

What’s a better phrasing for a press conference? I’ve tried wondering and after praising medical teams always end up with something similar.

The NHS are working brilliantly to help him.

Because it's the NHS who will help people, not victims "fighting".

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The Chinese only admitted human to human transmission was possible on or around 20th January, and at that point had only confirmed 500 cases of it. How exactly would we have prepared for something in January that at the time posed no conceivable threat? China pulled the wool over the WHO eyes for long enough, why would we have been any different?

Its clear Iike the rest of the world we’re still preparing now on an ongoing basis, this isn’t something that’s happened for 100 years. Sure mistakes have been made and lessons have been learned, but you can magic ventilators, PPE equipment, staff, hospital beds etc out of thin air when the rest of the world is also in the same position.

well, we'll see what the enquiree thing says...I'm sure a lot will want to blame China,.

Just now, DeanoL said:

The NHS are working brilliantly to help him.

Because it's the NHS who will help people, not victims "fighting".

Yes, I understand that. As I think is clear in my post. But I/we also engage in personal ‘fightS ’ don’t we? Many very ill people say “I fought x and y illness” etc. Or “I will fight it”. My point is, it’s not perfect it’s just one of the things we say 

1 minute ago, whitehorses said:

Yes, I understand that. As I think is clear in my post. But I/we also engage in personal ‘fightS ’ don’t we? Many very ill people say “I fought x and y illness” etc. Or “I will fight it”. My point is, it’s not perfect it’s just one of the things we say 

But it's not a good thing to be saying in a situation like this, where many are dying and it's not because they didn't "fight" enough. It's something people say to comfort people but it doesn't have any place in the middle of a pandemic.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

But it's not a good thing to be saying in a situation like this, where many are dying and it's not because they didn't "fight" enough. It's something people say to comfort people but it doesn't have any place in the middle of a pandemic.

Ok. But they are still fighting, right?  Anyway, I agree with you I just think it’s something imperfect that we say. 

How about praying? Haven’t seen much anger at all the ‘prayer’ inferences in these things. Surely prayer has zero place in a pandemic? 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, we'll see what the enquiree thing says...I'm sure a lot will want to blame China,.

Read this article:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/20/coronavirus-spreads-to-beijing-as-china-confirms-new-cases

Even then it was being massively played down in China, people in Wuhan talking it down like it’s just a cold. Only 500 odd cases. The reality was it was already spreading around the world. It was already taking hold in Italy. Hindsight is 20/20, but if we knew back then what we know now we’d very obviously have acted very very differently. The reality is we didn’t and neither did anybody else.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

25 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

We are surely blessed by some higher power with all the morally and linguistically perfect people in these forums. 

If that's the case we can pray to them! 😉

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

People were talking about a potential pandemic in January, and in February we were getting cases and they were being tracked and isolated...and Wuhan was in lockdown.

Yup.

It wasn't until the 15th March that the govt decided we'd need more PPE and ventilators.

In light of what was very well known by that time, that's inexcusable. 

36 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Big love to your lady friend. I bet you're so proud x

Thanks for all the live peeps and kind words. @Stokesy10, @Ayrshire Chris, @steviewevie, @stuartbert two hats, @Welly Boot and anyone else I've missed.

I don't know if proud comes into it yet. It probably in there but other emotions are more to the forefront at the moment. Mainly fear, foreboding and concern. Emotions which are re-enforced with every announcement of the death of a doctor, nurse or assistant nurse/HCA.

Mrs Lycra is a special person. I've known that since the first day I met her. She's been looking after the sick, the desperately ill and those who are sadly in end of life for so long now it's become second nature........I still don't know how she does it: witnessing death with regularity. I've only once ever seen her visibly upset after a shift: a day on which she lost 3 patients; the final 1 being a 21yo who they failed to resusitate despite a lengthy battle.  At the end of the day she's only human doing a job she cares about.......Though at times she's no angel.......wishing the demise of troublesome annoying patients.

To me....... She's Very Special 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 9

Just now, Lycra said:

Thanks for all the live peeps and kind words. @Stokesy10, @Ayrshire Chris, @steviewevie, @stuartbert two hats, @Welly Boot and anyone else I've missed.

I don't know if proud comes into it yet. It probably in there but other emotions are more to the forefront at the moment. Mainly fear, foreboding and concern. Emotions which are re-enforced with every announcement of the death of a doctor, nurse or assistant nurse/HCA.

Mrs Lycra is a special person. I've known that since the first day I met her. She's been looking after the sick, the desperately ill and those who are sadly in end of life for so long now it's become second nature........I still don't know how she does it: witnessing death with regularity. I've only once ever seen her visibly upset after a shift: a day on which she lost 3 patients; the final 1 being a 21yo who they failed to resusitate despite a lengthy battle.  At the end of the day she's only human doing a job she cares about.......Though at times she's no angel.......wishing the demise of troublesome annoying patients.

To me....... She's Very Special 

That she is.

10 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

This confused me earlier as BBC breaking reported the individual figures as follows:

England - 758

N.Ireland - 73

Scotland - 74

Wales - 19

So that is 924 not 786??

For a start, 73 is the total number of deaths in NI not the daily number.

I'm hopeful Ireland as a whole won't be hit as bad and I think a part of that is going to be down to the pretty awful transport network on the island.

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

For a start, 73 is the total number of deaths in NI not the daily number.

I'm hopeful Ireland as a whole won't be hit as bad and I think a part of that is going to be down to the pretty awful transport network on the island.

Ah ok my bad.. it did throw me at the time as there was all sorts if figures been thrown out. I'm sure I saw 854 UK cases somewhere too but can't find source now

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Read this article:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/20/coronavirus-spreads-to-beijing-as-china-confirms-new-cases

Even then it was being massively played down in China, people in Wuhan talking it down like it’s just a cold. Only 500 odd cases. The reality was it was already spreading around the world. It was already taking hold in Italy. Hindsight is 20/20, but if we knew back then what we know now we’d very obviously have acted very very differently. The reality is we didn’t and neither did anybody else.

I remember this article at the time and my thoughts were thus will spread like wildfire through China due to Chinese New year movement of millions of people..

WHO announced this as an public health emergency on 30th Jan and our 1st case in UK 31st Jan.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think most the criticism will be why the government did prepare enough during all of Feb. Especially when the clusters started popping up around Europe. It was already here from Jan and would only be a matter of time until it got bigger.

As you say though most folk weren't taking it that seriously as it wasn't here, most of my colleagues were downplaying or calling it nonsense even in mid-march which amazed be tbh :(

2 hours ago, whitehorses said:

Ok. But they are still fighting, right?  Anyway, I agree with you I just think it’s something imperfect that we say. 

How about praying? Haven’t seen much anger at all the ‘prayer’ inferences in these things. Surely prayer has zero place in a pandemic? 

That's different though as it's normally a selfless gesture on the part of those saying it "we'll all be praying for them". Doesn't help at all, but it probably makes them feel better.

It'd be very different if people were saying "well, he has a good relationship with God, he's a good Christian, so I'm sure he'll pull through". 

If you can see how that would be totally inappropriate then you can also see how the "he's a fighter" rhertoric is also. Because it makes it seem like those who don't make it are doing something wrong somehow.

(And y'know, Boris Johnson is really not a fighter. By any means. He's a pampered public school boy that's never done a day's honest labour in his life, doesn't exercise much and is overweight. The man is not "a fighter". )

It's also a difference between what you say to family friends and what you announce in a political statement. The "fighter" thing... you use it when appropriate. Like, if your friend had their Dad die of cancer, then a few years later, their mum gets ill with cancer, you absolutely don't say to them "she's a figther, she'll be okay" for what I'd hope would be obvious reasons. That's the situation we have here.