When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

15 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

A sign that it's mutating to be less severe? Although 'may have implications regarding the candidacy of S protein as a target for vaccination' might mean problems for the Oxford vaccine as it targets the S protein.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/22221751.2020.1806735

clicked on that link and got about 3 words in before going cross eyed.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That title 😂😂

In english anyone?

Here you go thicky...in-depth sequencing of the SARS-CoV-2 S gene in 18 patients with COVID-19 enabled identification of a naturally occurring deletion very close to the S1/S2 cleavage site. The results indicate that the mutant S would have a large impact on the S protein, and suggest that the virus could produce free S1, which may have implications regarding the candidacy of S protein as a target for vaccination and antiviral treatment strategies. The deletions were significantly more prevalent in patients with mild than in those with severe disease, supporting the notion that they could be a strategy of natural selection to decrease the injury caused after onset of the infection. In this “Don’t burn down the house” strategy, the ability of the virus to bind with ACE2 receptor and spread to others would be unchanged; thus its propensity for transmission would be enhanced by a mildly affected host. To prove this hypothesis, it is essential to investigate whether the truncated S protein (free S1) is present in respiratory tract specimens and in plasma. To detect free S1 at low concentration by western blot analysis, entire and truncated recombinant spike proteins should be used as controls, together with highly specific antibodies to S protein. These studies are currently ongoing, and in parallel, we are investigating whether the new peptide motif IRLRLILLGGHVV will have sufficient antigenicity to be used as a probe to detect truncated free S1 protein.

Ok?

4 hours ago, Henrik said:

Quite right! Why would any business waste money on office space when employees can do exactly the same job from home. 

But then the question will be why pay someone in London £18 an hour to work from home when someone in India can do exactly the same job for less than half the cost. 

I highly doubt most skilled city jobs can be done competently by teams in India, based on multiple people I’ve spoken to who manage teams in India. 

8 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I hope people follow the new mask rules tomorrow.

I think they will , uptake is very good ... keep positive ... once we have them and are used to wearing them the issue with them will become a non event ... 

Edited by crazyfool1

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

These studies are currently ongoing, and in parallel, we are investigating whether the new peptide motif IRLRLILLGGHVV will have sufficient antigenicity to be used as a probe to detect truncated free S1 protein.

Ok?

Did your cat walk across your keyboard?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah. So in short we opened the office a few months ago on a sign up basis but the sign ups have been extremely low. The only people coming in are the direct fee earners and client relationship lot who deal with clients and their “people” directly. After seeing my family I went and booked a few slots in the office because I felt like I’d “seen them” and I wanted to start moving towards some sort of new normal / change my scenery. 

I guess it’s frustrating where you miss out on certain things because they’ve come from conversations held in the office. There is definitely this weird there where they say “you will not be forced to come back to the office but if you don’t come back to the office you will miss out on various things.”

That's my concern that you will be "seen" not to be in the know and an outsider from the office... I've said before the HQ I work for is very old school bums on seats to do the job, I reckon some of the management will be struggling with this remote working and just want to get back to normal.... it will be interesting how it pans out, as someone with a 3hour daily drive I would prefer to wfh if I could

I'm actually still on furlough with no update on what the roll out plan is to bring me back, last time my manager spoke to me was nearly 5 weeks ago!! We get general weekly updates from HR but the lack of engagement from my own manager is pretty soul destroying :( 

I know I should be thankful I still have a job, but this never never on when the reviews/updates are coming is totally distressing me tbh

4 hours ago, Henrik said:

Quite right! Why would any business waste money on office space when employees can do exactly the same job from home. 

But then the question will be why pay someone in London £18 an hour to work from home when someone in India can do exactly the same job for less than half the cost. 

Putting aside the fact that most jobs can't actually be done just as effectively for half the cost in India, if they could would that be a terrible thing?

If we want a fairer global economy then we along with the rest of the developed world need to get poorer and I can think of fewer less disruptive ways of rebalancing our economic activity than the gradual leakage of jobs. Obviously huge dramatic change in that direction would be disruptive but if slowly more and more work is going abroad isn't that in general terms a good thing?

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Putting aside the fact that most jobs can't actually be done just as effectively for half the cost in India, if they could would that be a terrible thing?

If we want a fairer global economy then we along with the rest of the developed world need to get poorer and I can think of fewer less disruptive ways of rebalancing our economic activity than the gradual leakage of jobs. Obviously huge dramatic change in that direction would be disruptive but if slowly more and more work is going abroad isn't that in general terms a good thing?

ok, you go first then.