Jump to content

When will this shit end?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 32.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • steviewevie

    3765

  • crazyfool1

    2841

  • Ozanne

    2684

  • zahidf

    1780

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think on a music festival message board it’s a legitimate question to ask. It doesn’t suggest the OP doesn’t give a shit about anything else. Of course there are much bigger things to be worrie

Like I said I found the comments unfair on our great prime minister anyway downvote removed! Given the circumstances he is doing a brilliant job 

Prince Charles is isolating at Balmoral with COVID-19. Prince Andrew is isolating at Windsor with Jenny, 14.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tommy101 said:

Yet there were queues outside of SportsDirect after they abused furlough rules and asked staff to work. 

Bad reputation really doesn't stick around for long.

Why the SportsDirect thing pisses me off so much is people think they were just being cheeky and getting a bit of extra government money. There's no such thing. It's OUR money that the government allocate.

 

Weatherspoons will be at capacity for months after treating their staff like disposable cutlery.

 

Any pub that is 'proven' to be the source of an outbreak could soon shift the blame, there will be enough apathetic people to fill the seats as soon as they can reopen.

and unfortunately in times of money worries people will go for the cheaper options ... :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

and unfortunately in times of money worries people will go for the cheaper options ... :( 

And ironically Wetherspoons will be one of the chains who will have the most experience with app service. The only reason I go there is because I can get a quiet pint without having to talk to anyone at all. At least more chains will be using app service in the future so it’s good for us introverted drinkers. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think they’ll even put the country into full lockdown again, they’ll maybe go locally but it would cost the economy too much to do it again. They went kicking and screaming into the first one back in March as it was. 

What do you think will happen if the NHS gets overwhelmed? And I don't mean "it's a bit busy" I mean "sorry, you're going to die of COVID 19 because we can't treat you".

I don't think that's likely - everything is suggesting the disease is a lot less easily transmitted than we thought, and we do now have the Nightingale hospitals that can be spun up to increase capacity. But as little as I care for our current government, I don't see them letting people die in the streets instead of locking down again, if it came to that.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I know this doesn't really relate to your wider point, but that is weirdly exactly what they did at the start of this. Ask everyone not to go to the pub without closing them. Genius stuff.

I'm sceptical that all these restrictions and measures are actually going to be upheld after a week. No one will be checking so where's the motivation to keep it up? Punters want life to go back to normal and pubs want to make money. Will be interested to hear tales from those who head out to them.

Haha, good point! I actually think these measures will fall apart in the first few days, but then after a week or so as the novelty wears off people will start to behave again. Plenty of people won't of course. But I think anyone who has seen someone suffer with it will have a very strong motivation to keep it up, that being not getting it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

My local is one of the bigger pub chains in the country. They have the resources and need to create an app and provide extra staff. They will definitely be one of the more organised pubs
 

I’m not sure how the smaller independent pubs are going to manage. Profit margins are already tight for those. Those that have survived lockdown will be struggling for quite a while yet if they can’t operate at sufficient capacity to make it worthwhile. 

I'm pretty sure the Apple Tree Inn, on the West Pennard side of the site, had closed before the lockdown. 


Next along, The Red Lion (in West Pennard itself) is on the market:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-71080566.html

 

In Glastonbury itself, the George was already on the market before the lockdown : https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-67641504.html

And the  Hawthorns (a lively live music venue) has clearly had enough, coming on the market just recently:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-80270479.html

 

Another iconic pub nearby, The Sheppy, has also gone on the market:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-93599294.html

 

That's three pubs there that some festival goers (Red Lion, George, Hawthorns) might know, two of which have owners who must have had enough.  It's not great times in the independent pub sector.  There are a number of other pubs within a few miles of the site that have been on the market for months before the lockdown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What do you think will happen if the NHS gets overwhelmed? And I don't mean "it's a bit busy" I mean "sorry, you're going to die of COVID 19 because we can't treat you".

I don't think that's likely - everything is suggesting the disease is a lot less easily transmitted than we thought, and we do now have the Nightingale hospitals that can be spun up to increase capacity. But as little as I care for our current government, I don't see them letting people die in the streets instead of locking down again, if it came to that.

They’ll just go locally if at all, the chances of another nationwide lock down are very slim in my view. They’ll ramp up the Nightingales but that’s about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

I'm pretty sure the Apple Tree Inn, on the West Pennard side of the site, had closed before the lockdown. 


Next along, The Red Lion (in West Pennard itself) is on the market:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-71080566.html

 

In Glastonbury itself, the George was already on the market before the lockdown : https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-67641504.html

And the  Hawthorns (a lively live music venue) has clearly had enough, coming on the market just recently:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-80270479.html

 

Another iconic pub nearby, The Sheppy, has also gone on the market:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-93599294.html

 

That's three pubs there that some festival goers (Red Lion, George, Hawthorns) might know, two of which have owners who must have had enough.  It's not great times in the independent pub sector.  There are a number of other pubs within a few miles of the site that have been on the market for months before the lockdown.

I'd love the Red Lion!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DeanoL said:

But there's a definite argument that anything beyond that isn't really the government's job. They've ensured you can get care if you need it. They've kept essential services and utilities going. But it's not their job to protect people from themselves. 

I know the small government thing is a hallmark of capitalism, but so is selfishness and stupidity of the people. Everyone spending "lockdown" either ignoring it and looking for loopholes in what they were "allowed" to do were putting everyone else at risk and led to the numbers not being low enough when we reopened. 

So by giving "guidelines" and not mandating masks (because, in my opinion, this country could never be convinced to go full mask wearing because they protect others, not the wearer) they're pretty much gambling on the selfish people's natures changing. 

I also think that dropping shielding and the payment help for them 3 weeks after the pubs open, while removing data that people can use to assess their risk which came in the briefing, surely we're taking "no government intervention" to a dangerous level? Never mind the removal of testing numbers JUST as a campaign to reopen quickly starts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

and unfortunately in times of money worries people will go for the cheaper options ... :( 

Yep, people quickly forget bad reputations in the name of convenience and cheapness (NB does not equal value)

Pubs that have to temporarily close for an outbreak will be at capacity on the day they reopen. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The big difference between now and the start of this is also testing. When the virus was in the ascendancy we didn’t have a clue what was going on where. We just knew people were turning up to hospitals in increasing numbers and they were the only people being tested. Now we’re routinely testing the population as a whole, and we know what the virus is doing and where it’s spreading, or not as the case may be. This will help immensely dealing with a surge second time around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

I'm pretty sure the Apple Tree Inn, on the West Pennard side of the site, had closed before the lockdown. 


Next along, The Red Lion (in West Pennard itself) is on the market:  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-71080566.html

 

 

Is that how much pubs cost?!? 

I know it's leasehold, no idea how long the lease is but that seems cheap... Villager Glasto tickets for life! 

I just need to learn how to run a pub 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They’ll just go locally if at all, the chances of another nationwide lock down are very slim in my view. They’ll ramp up the Nightingales but that’s about it. 

Oh yeah, I don't think we'll need it. But if we do need it, it will happen. Local lockdowns will be an option if the NHS is just at capacity in certain areas too. But if it does rip back through in flu season and those numbers get dangerously high again, it'll happen. They have to be led by numbers and reality on it.

Basically it's not going to be a political decision. If we hit the trigger numbers nationwide it'll happen and if we don't, we won't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Is that how much pubs cost?!? 

I know it's leasehold, no idea how long the lease is but that seems cheap... Villager Glasto tickets for life! 

I just need to learn how to run a pub 

Sadly West Pennard would be outside the free ticket area.  I think that the free ticket thing is greatly restricted to what it once was.

 

Nice pub though, will be a shame but I guess they've had enough (the current people).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zuzana said:

Hello FESTIVAL ENTHUSIASTS,

I am working on paper, which could change it for YOU! It's regarding your rights to getting your MONEY BACK for purchased tickets.

I am seeking people who have a ticket in advance for any kind of festival/concert/event for this year 2020 which was influenced by coronavirus (cancelled/postponed) to fill up a 5 minute survey: https://coventry.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/buyer-brand-loyalty

AND for those who didn't buy one yet, but would buy if there was no coronavirus this year:https://coventry.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/brand-loyalty

THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK!

But what's you view on reducing the 2m rule to 1m on 7 July?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Oh yeah, I don't think we'll need it. But if we do need it, it will happen. Local lockdowns will be an option if the NHS is just at capacity in certain areas too. But if it does rip back through in flu season and those numbers get dangerously high again, it'll happen. They have to be led by numbers and reality on it.

Basically it's not going to be a political decision. If we hit the trigger numbers nationwide it'll happen and if we don't, we won't.

Agree to disagree then mate 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

In summary: when he denied a load of figures, Starmer pulled out the govt graphs
Starmer pointed out that he lied last week
Got stuck in on track n trace, app and child poverty
Worst of all, last three questions were all about the above, three times Johnson reverted to his irrelevant attack line that Starmer had u-turned on schools (?!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

Is that how much pubs cost?!? 

I know it's leasehold, no idea how long the lease is but that seems cheap... Villager Glasto tickets for life! 

I just need to learn how to run a pub 

I’m no expert, but I believe that’s just the fee you pay to run it for a period of time. £30k certainly doesn’t ‘buy’ you a pub, just the option to run it for something like 5 years, with all the associated costs of beer, staff and often rent as well. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...