When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, st dan said:

All the largely populated counties still providing numbers of new cases in the hundreds each day (Brazil, Pakistan, Thailand for example) - are we expecting these to be in the thousands each day soon like USA, Italy, Spain, Germany, UK etc?
Are they just a number of weeks behind, or are they not hospitalising enough patients in the ‘poorer‘ countries to give real indicative figures?

I think it all comes down to lack of testing. I think some without access to hospitals getting the virus probably won’t be going into hospital and are likely to be dealing with it on a more local level.

there was an article today about how a woman from an indigenous tribe in Brazil was confirmed positive. It’s definitely there it is just under the radar.

edit; remember to get listed as a case you need to be confirmed positive by a doctor and have a doctor authorise that your death was due to covid-19. A lot of people across the world are unable to get that confirmed. 

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Quark said:

That sounds like (relatively) really good news pal. Deaths are obviously terrible, but it does sound like the rates are slowing. Fingers crossed.

Sorry bud. Things ain't slowing yet. We've got two more weeks at least of us climbing the ladder.

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

Ireland update if anyone cares. 3447 total cases. New cases found yesterday 205, 17 deaths. The day before we found 295 new cases and the day before that 360ish so the overall trend of new cases is dropping which is good but 85 people have died so far in total. The government seem to have timed the school closures and lockdown well and as a result we seem to have flattened the curve at the moment. ICUs and hospitals in general are coping so far.

Listening to our PM yesterday it seems we are basically trying to copy the Chinese. The plan is to get case numbers down to a level at which the health system can cope and then through extensive contact tracing and testing track as many subsequent cases as possible to keep numbers low enough. We’re having real difficulties upping our testing capacity because there’s an international shortage of the necessary chemicals and reagents but so far things are going much smoother than I was expecting. Our lockdown isn’t even that bad. Nothing like Italy or Spain and we will hopefully see some relaxation of the restrictions in 2 to 3 weeks. 

Do you know the testing figures for the last few days?

26 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Sorry bud. Things ain't slowing yet. We've got two more weeks at least of us climbing the ladder.

Oh yeah, here definitely. I meant good news for Madyaker and those in Ireland where it looks like the infection rate's slowing,

3 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Ireland update if anyone cares. 3447 total cases. New cases found yesterday 205, 17 deaths. The day before we found 295 new cases and the day before that 360ish so the overall trend of new cases is dropping which is good but 85 people have died so far in total. The government seem to have timed the school closures and lockdown well and as a result we seem to have flattened the curve at the moment. ICUs and hospitals in general are coping so far.

Listening to our PM yesterday it seems we are basically trying to copy the Chinese. The plan is to get case numbers down to a level at which the health system can cope and then through extensive contact tracing and testing track as many subsequent cases as possible to keep numbers low enough. We’re having real difficulties upping our testing capacity because there’s an international shortage of the necessary chemicals and reagents but so far things are going much smoother than I was expecting. Our lockdown isn’t even that bad. Nothing like Italy or Spain and we will hopefully see some relaxation of the restrictions in 2 to 3 weeks. 

sounds like a good place to be - hopefully you make us lot from over here stay completely out of your country after you've got to it. I doubt we'll be that clear of it at any point...

1 hour ago, northernringo said:

Were testing around 1500 a day. Our testing isn't where it needs to be due to a massive shortage of reagents.

Also there's worries around our ICU capacity, we have one the lowest number of ICU beds per head of population in europe though I think they are adding more.

Edited by Madyaker
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, northernringo said:

It's 2600 a day at the moment, which is well below what we want to be doing, but in terms of tests per capita, we're somewhere just below where South Korea are (think they have circa 8000 tests per million people, we have 6200 per million at the moment). We had the same restrictions on what could be used to facilitate the tests as the NHS have, but some of my lab were in last weekend making transport buffers and extraction buffers to facilitate more (and will be back in next weekend making more...just may lab made enough for 10,000 tests in one day, and many other labs are doing the same). So, they appear to have relaxed the rule on only using specific suppliers and are now allowing research labs to contribute reagents and equipment (our PCR machines will be used now as well). The extraction buffer was proprietary information held by the company that makes it, but they have shared that information with us (we'd buy it from them if they could sell it to us!), so we can easily make more of it (we knew it was pretty simple, but not exactly what was in it). So, hopefully with more reagents being made available from our universities, more tests can be run (so long as you include relevant controls in the tests, they are just as valid as a if they were run with reagents from an approved supplier).