When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

I'm hopeful people will do the right thing. The issue is you only ever really hear the extreme sides of the debate, either open everything up or don't reopen until everyone is jabbed twice. You never hear people in the middle who are happy complying to the rules but don't like the blame game like me. I just genuinely want to do the right thing and enjoy myself safely and I think many others will agree too. I think this week will go smoother than expected but you'll only hear about the idiots taking things to the extreme 

For balance I want to do the right thing.  Its kind of strange that doing the right thing seems to have become all about wearing a mask or not when there is so much more in play.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly. It’s a gamble but there has to be a strong cut off point for case rises. We are always due an exit wave but it surely cannot be anywhere near the heights of January… unless the vaccines don’t work as you said.

I feel confident that cases will rise but start to taper off. Deaths will not increase to levels anywhere near the level we’ve seen before, and soon it will become clear that the virus hasn’t got much further to go.

Delaying the exit wave just delays the inevitable.

The problem is hospitals. They are already busy. Yes we have vaccines which are the main barrier to hospitalisations, but we are taking away all other barriers such as we had in January. So, it's a bit of a gamble to go for it now when haven't immunised as many as we can and we have a growth in cases.

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

This thread is pretty quiet. I really don’t know what to say either tbh. Feels weird.

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

It’s the calm before the fuckstorm. 

Well personally been drinking beer and eating steaks in the Garden with friends while our kids play in the pool 🙂

Just watched the highlights of the F1 to see Lewis play a game of Mario kart to win the British Grand Prix and now its a glass of Malbec before I throw my mask on the bonfire 😛

What a great day 🙂 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well personally been drinking beer and eating steaks in the Garden with friends while our kids play in the pool 🙂

Just watched the highlights of the F1 to see Lewis play a game of Mario kart to win the British Grand Prix and now its a glass of Malbec before I throw my mask on the bonfire 😛

What a great day 🙂 

Similar here mate, but with added tour de France. Have a great week.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

“We do things differently here” 🙄. God I hate this northern virtuous attitude that it’s only them who have a moral compass. Walk down through Manchester City central, hundreds of people without masks on public transport and in shops. Give in Burnham. Stop trying to start a culture war.

He really is top level prick at the moment.  Playing a political game and has throughout.  Northerners don't look after each other any more than anywhere else.  And to be frank - the North is jam packed with horrible scum I wouldn't touch with a barge poll - it also has some lovely people - like me - so it ain't all bad.

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

or we add a massive flu season to the mix ? 

Certainly possible, and probably encouraged by being Locked Down last year. Could add 300 Hospital admissions per week going by 2019 peak. I think that’s the logic behind going now though.

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

Certainly possible, and probably encouraged by being Locked Down last year. Could add 300 Hospital admissions per week going by 2019 peak. I think that’s the logic behind going now though.

yeah true ... wait and see how it plays out though .... I wonder if there are any other medical advances on the horizon that might help us .... 

All this arguing over whether it is the right or wrong call to proceed with tomorrow, but the only way to find out is by unfortunately going in blind to some extent, and then of course hindsight will play a big part in the weeks and months to come.
We can all analyse any graph we want to interpret the current data as positive or negative as we see fit, but we just don’t know how this will work until we try in it a real life environment.
There will always be ifs and buts - let’s cross our fingers and hope it’s a calculated gamble that’s going to pay off. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

All this arguing over whether it is the right or wrong call to proceed with tomorrow, but the only way to find out is by unfortunately going in blind to some extent, and then of course hindsight will play a big part in the weeks and months to come.
We can all analyse any graph we want to interpret the current data as positive or negative as we see fit, but we just don’t know how this will work until we try in it a real life environment.
There will always be ifs and buts - let’s cross our fingers and hope it’s a calculated gamble that’s going to pay off. 

I think what is lost on some is there will never be a good time to do this...

The NHS is going to be backed logged for years after the near shutdown last year (other than covid) so that isn't a strong reason to delay.  With schools outs and people on holiday not in offices - there won't ever be a better time.

The types making a huge song and dance in the papers and tv are the ones who's have throughout and refuse to look beyond a zero covid mindset.  

If this doesn't work - and I expect it will work - then we won't be just locking down in the Autumn, we will be having rolling lockdowns for years to come I fear.  But I don't think its going to come to that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yeah, but thread is ending so we can't argue who was more right.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/18/freedom-day-face-mask-confusion-looms-legal-requirement-wear/

Passengers face a chaotic commute on "Freedom Day" after rail bosses said face masks must be worn on busy platforms but can be removed if boarding a quiet train.

Great news - if everyone could just keep their voices down then we won't have to wear masks 😄    Here all week...

Edited by Barry Fish

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/18/covid-deaths-just-one-sixteenth-level-seen-previous-waves/

Context is everything...

Death rates in England and Wales are currently 5.2 per cent below the five-year average, according to figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), with Covid now accounting for just 1.2 per cent of deaths.

Hospital admissions are a quarter of where they were at the same point in the winter wave, while the number of patients in hospital is one fifth of the level then.

On Sunday, ahead of Monday's "Freedom Day", Prof Neil Ferguson, of Imperial College, said that if case numbers could be kept below 100,000 a day and admissions at 1,000, he would consider the release a success. The seven-day rolling number of admissions is currently 616 per day.

10 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

The 28 day rule was a useful way of getting a figure that was consistent and easy to compare, but as the case fatality ratio continues to drop and the prevalence stays high, surely we have to start looking at the more accurate, but less consistent measure? Eventually, we could end up in a dihydrogen monoxide situation and that's no use to anyone.

39 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The 28 day rule was a useful way of getting a figure that was consistent and easy to compare, but as the case fatality ratio continues to drop and the prevalence stays high, surely we have to start looking at the more accurate, but less consistent measure? Eventually, we could end up in a dihydrogen monoxide situation and that's no use to anyone.

That Osmond idiot has subsequently apologised for getting it wrong so no, it's not that inaccurate. That's what happens when bar ownwers start becoming experts in mortality causes.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

“We do things differently here” 🙄. God I hate this northern virtuous attitude that it’s only them who have a moral compass. Walk down through Manchester City central, hundreds of people without masks on public transport and in shops. Give in Burnham. Stop trying to start a culture war.

He is just quoting Tony Wilson and trying to do the right thing. No harm will come from wearing a mask. I am not a fan of Burnham, but I have no issue with trying to get people to keep wearing a mask.