When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

BBC notification said it's the highest number since January. The 15th to be precise, when there were 55,000 cases but 1,280 deaths just a few days before we hit the peak of deaths in the second wave

(not saying there'll be any correlation btw)

It doesn’t look like it’s slowing down anytime soon, we’ll probably hit the record number of daily cases in the next few days so it is important to realise the job the vaccines are doing but also important to realise that if cases are at a very high level that means hospitalisations will increase as well.

For the first time through this entire thing I'm considering completely detoxing for a couple of weeks post-19th. The media and socials are going to be a fucking mess and I'm genuinely not sure if I can handle the constant nail-biting, flip flopping, hour-by-hour shitshow any more.

I often wonder what it's like to be someone that isn't plugged into news and endless micro-updates and tweets in the same way a lot of people like most of us are.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

'Freedom day' should be a day for celebration but the next few weeks are going to be absolute chaos, arent they!! 

it was kind of stupid making one particular freedom day where it all suddenly ends...never really going to be like that. Just things improve over time.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Makes me sick that shit. Even if you dont agree and you think she is being overly cautious where the fuck do people get off mocking her? If she wants to do whatever she wants to do then leave her to it. 

Arseholes. Just like the ones on the opposite side of the debate. 

As for special dispensation for clinically vulnerable I think it would be a brilliant idea and should be encouraged. 

Yeah well said that mate, bullshit people taking the piss out of that.

35 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

So it's legit to protect vulnerable people a bit more while we go through this peak

Let's accept the maths and there is some underlying level of risk and ignore the fact there always will be.

If someone wants to propose to me that we continue to do some extra things while we go through this exit wave for lets say 4 to 8 weeks.  That would be fine.

But that isn't what is being said - that isn't what is being proposed.  Take the caller on LBC - she wants perm behaviour changes.  When will the likes of some of the posters here be happy ? and not feel scared ?   When does immunocompromised people stop being at risk and the argument goes away that I have to restrict my life to protect them ?

We have had wait for the vaccine - then just 4 more weeks - and then "freedom day" comes and its still full of restrictions / complaints and fear...

There isn't a propose end game - its just fear and a type of fear that actually will never have an end game unless we actually "fight" against it with hope / education and a big does of come the fuck on! 

Edited by Barry Fish

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It doesn’t look like it’s slowing down anytime soon, we’ll probably hit the record number of daily cases in the next few days so it is important to realise the job the vaccines are doing but also important to realise that if cases are at a very high level that means hospitalisations will increase as well.

Yeah there's no doubt hospitalisation will increase, just imagine where we'd be right now without the vaccine. Hoping thing slow down or peak soon but who knows when it'll happen right now

31 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The dominating media narrative over the past couple of months has galvanized into "wearing a mask = safe = not passing it on" when there's so many more variables than that.

100% true...

Masks have become a symbol of protection.

Unmasked person without vaccine = Come on in

Vaccinated person without a mask = Go away

I know which one I would rather be stood next too....

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

Yeah there's no doubt hospitalisation will increase, just imagine where we'd be right now without the vaccine. Hoping thing slow down or peak soon but who knows when it'll happen right now

I was saying that the other day to people, it would be so bad without the vaccines. The Scientists and people involved deserves so much praise for creating them, they have saved so many lives.

30 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fake sage says  LOCKDOWN 

Which one was stage 2 again? Is that everything shut but rule of six outside or shops open and hospitality outside? It's all blurred into one for me 😂

Edited by Chapple12345

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

Which one was stage 2 again? Is that everything shut but rule of six outside or shops open and hospitality outside? It's all blurred into one for me 😂

Yeah, hospitality open outside, rule of 6 outside.

14 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

For the first time through this entire thing I'm considering completely detoxing for a couple of weeks post-19th. The media and socials are going to be a fucking mess and I'm genuinely not sure if I can handle the constant nail-biting, flip flopping, hour-by-hour shitshow any more.

I often wonder what it's like to be someone that isn't plugged into news and endless micro-updates and tweets in the same way a lot of people like most of us are.

Totally agree and I’ve been considering doing the same. I doubt there’s much of a downside from doing that, and huge gains to be had. Unfortunately the rolling nature of lockdowns here means I have to be semi-aware or I’ll end up breaking restrictions I didn’t know were in place, but even then I could get the gist and close the app. On a wider scale, it’s not a credential to know all the unhappy things going on in the world. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Let's accept the masks and there is some underlying level of risk and ignore the fact there always will be.

If someone wants to propose to me that we continue to do some extra things while we go through this exit wave for lets say 4 to 8 weeks.  That would be fine.

But that isn't what is being said - that isn't what is being proposed.  Take the caller on LBC - she wants perm behaviour changes.  When will the likes of some of the posters here be happy ? and not feel scared ?   When does immunocompromised people stop being at risk and the argument goes away that I have to restrict my life to protect them ?

We have had wait for the vaccine - then just 4 more weeks - and then "freedom day" comes and its still full of restrictions / complaints and fear...

There isn't a propose end game - its just fear and a type of fear that actually will never have an end game unless we actually "fight" against it with hope / education and a big does of come the fuck on! 

A huge amount of it is down to how badly everything has been communicated - most people I speak to outside of here don't have the same grasp of the situation as most on here do. 

The reality is it's going to be more dangerous outside the next few months than it was the last few months - unless your vaccination status changes in the meantime. If there's 100x the level of the virus about, you're 100x more at risk. That's just the way it is. Luckily with a vaccine you're 100x less at risk than without one. 

But we can't not have that, that's where Pagel is wrong, there's no point stopping the spread now, going back into lockdown - it's crazy. We have to let the exit wave wash over us and do what it will... but I can totally get why people's response to that is "yeah, I'll let it wash over others, thanks". It's a somewhat selfish position to be honest if you're not vulnerable... 

So it's a hard thing for people to grasp really. It is genuinely more dangerous than it was a month ago. But we're being told we can do all this extra stuff. It doesn't make sense to people. And the government won't be honest that they're going for herd immunity via infection, mitigated by vaccines so of course it doesn't make sense. They're not being honest about it.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

100% true...

Masks have become a symbol of protection.

Unmasked person without vaccine = Come on in

Vaccinated person without a mask = Go away

I know which one I would rather be stood next too....

Do you actually know a single person that won't take the vaccine but is in favour of masks because I'm yet to hear from one!

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I was saying that the other day to people, it would be so bad without the vaccines. The Scientists and people involved deserves so much praise for creating them, they have saved so many lives.

I think latest suggestions are the vaccines have prevented 7 million  cases and 30,000 deaths which is absolutely astounding, its a testament to all the scientists involved in designing the vaccines and the incredible NHS for their amazing rollout. They deserve the absolute world when this is over for their dedication and I hope they find even more ways of recognising this 

Disclaimer: I haven’t read 100% of the previous posts!

One area that I’m interested in people’s views on in general is bias and different types of bias. Now there’s been lots of talk of confirmation bias and I understand why but that’s only one of 10s of types of bias at play here.

Take change bias, for example. I believe there’s a decent proportion of the country (people & businesses) that don’t want to unmask on Monday as that’s a positive action. Do nothing is often people’s default position.

When Tesco’s announce they are going to encourage mask wearing in-store, where does that leave their competition?

My concern from passing the onus onto individuals and business are two fold:

1) The average person is a complete moron.

2) If businesses have things working a certain way, they‘ll be reluctant to change.