When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Well, Indie SAGE either have an impact on policy (be it direct or indirect) or they don't. If they don't then really who cares, let's stop posting links to Pagel's Twitter and get on with our lives. If they do...

Then we need to look back at last year, where it's pretty much universally agreed the government repeatedly acted too late and to softly to actually bring the virus under control. But they did act eventually - and if you believe Indie SAGE have an impact on policy then they must have contributed to actually making that happen. So maybe without Indie SAGE we would have had a full Christmas mixing as per the original plan and a considerably worse January?

It's easy to hate them now because they're getting it wrong, but if they're actually effective and manage to influence policy then I'm willing to cut them a break for the 10s of thousands of lives they've saved...

I don't think they drive government policy directly.  They scare the public which in the end impacts policy.  I think we see some of that with Burnham saying people should wear masks on public transport for the only reason that they are fearful (and that is exactly what he said as a reason for it).

The reality is SAGE seriously warned against Christmas and it was watered down because SAGE continued to warn against it.  They never backed it.  It was a political decision. 

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I've got to say all the laws just changing to guidance, presumably under the threat of making it law again if things go wrong is one of the more confusing and pointless things they've done so far...

Pretty sure everyone will agree on this one.

I hope there is a mini revolt against it.  A lot of companies are coming out and saying it's an issue for government and not them and saying people can do what they want.  A lot of bus / coach companies / nightclubs saying this.  Pubs quiet at the moment.  Thought weatherspoons would be mouthing off by now 😛 

Edited by Barry Fish

Just now, hodgey123 said:

Yeah true, unless you also commonly get admitted to hospital with a sore throat/runny nose/sneezing/loss of smell?

Most people I know who have recently caught the virus have had at least 1 jab and it's absolutely rocked them for a period of at least 2 weeks.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Two extra cases today, added to the 16 from yesterday, means there's only one thing for it in Melbourne - lockdown #5! Yay!

Restrictions back for 5 days, initially.

What is happening in terms of financial support to help businesses deal with these impromptu lockdowns?

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pretty sure everyone will agree on this one.

I hope there is a mini revolt against it.  A lot of companies are coming out and saying it's an issue for government and not them and saying people can do what they want.  A lot of bus / coach companies / nightclubs saying this.  Pubs quiet at the moment.  Thought weatherspoons would be mouthing off by now 😛 

That fella has been quiet for months now after his original anger over the first lockdowns. Wonder what he's been promised...

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

Most people I know who have recently caught the virus have had at least 1 jab and it's absolutely rocked them for a period of at least 2 weeks.

But is it manageable with rest and OTC medication at home, like is the case for the majority of other illnesses and viruses we have all picked up pre Covid? If so, then that’s as good as we can realistically expect isn’t it? Part and parcel of existing on this planet. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Im one jab, tested positive Monday. Was proper rough Tuesday and now feeling a lot better, hope thats the worst of it! 

But didn't rock them enough to kill them?

Bit like a normal flu virus then?

Cheers vaccines.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

But is it manageable with rest and OTC medication at home, like is the case for the majority of other illnesses and viruses we have all picked up pre Covid? If so, then that’s as good as we can realistically expect isn’t it? Part and parcel of existing on this planet. 

Yup. My brother had one jab and then caught it. Rough for one day, normal now

Edited by zahidf

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

This.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Cheers vaccines.

Exactly - the whole point of the vaccine was to reduce it to something you manage at home.

Most people who get seem to get the virus either don't notice or are getting sick for days not weeks.

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

Exactly. That is a huge win compared to what it would be like with no vaccines.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

We can do this as much as we want it doesn't mean much.

Everyone I know that has had it has been a bit rough but not bed bound or anything. So way way less bad than a normal flu.

People think the cold is flu.  We do down play flu.  It's a horrible disease.

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

What is happening in terms of financial support to help businesses deal with these impromptu lockdowns?

Basic overview here, but I believe the federal government has said a lockdown has to be for 7 days minimum before financial help is given. Victoria is trying to get a pro-rata payment, I think. It's a negotiation happening at the moment.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Cheers vaccines.

I've had the flu once im my lifetime, I've already had COVID once and likely catch it again within the next few months. Considering the virus has been in the country for around 18 months, thats a significant difference. 

That's a big difference in how quickly it spreads, capiche? 

People who say 'oh its just the flu'. The flu is fucking shit and not something you want to catch on the regular. Unless we just want to live in a society where being pretty ill with flu like symptoms every few months is 'fine'....

Edited by MrBarry465
  • Downvote 1

I've had the flu once im my lifetime, I've already had COVID once and likely catch it again within the next few months. Considering the virus has been in the country for around 18 months, thats a significant difference. 

That's a big difference in how quickly it spreads, capiche? 

In what way are you likely to catch it again in the next few months if you have had it once and will be double vaxxed?

Also any need for the tone lol? who says capiche fs

In what way are you likely to catch it again in the next few months if you have had it once and will be double vaxxed?

You would imagine statistically that if you are double vaxxed and also had the virus then the risk is extremely low of reinfection.  There was some reporting that you are more likely to be reinfected with delta than previous variants but its hardly confirmed science and again - only a small increased risk.

If we are at 100k + cases a day soon and I want to sociallise, then it's highly likely I'll catch it again in some capacity?

I just think its funny that people are waving off large parts of society potentially being ill at the same time as 'fine'.

It's the first time I've said capiche in probably 15 years, but felt appropriate at the time....