When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

At the end of the day there is going to be an exit wave whenever freedom day is announced. The virus has enough people to infect, between those who have chosen not to have the vaccine, those who can’t have it (children or those who are exempt for some medical reason) and the unlucky few who it doesn’t work on.

The argument is that waiting until all adults have been offered a second vaccine pushes that exit wave into September and October when the NHS is likely to be busier due to other respiratory viruses having the upper hand. If you think of who is protected by leaving it until then, it’s mainly healthy under 40’s who are highly unlikely to need hospital treatment if they’re infected. 

You basically have three choices:

1) Reopen now and deliberately infect a shit load of healthy young people (on top of the inevitable exit wave). Accept the long covid repercussions as well as a few unlucky hospitalisations and deaths. 

2) Reopen in September and have a smaller exit wave in terms of cases but the same if not higher in deaths, with serious pressure on the NHS.

3) Wait until spring 2022.

Option 2 is the one with the highest risk of overwhelming the NHS so that one is out and I don’t think the economy or society could handle another 9 months of lockdown so option 3 is a non-starter. That leaves option 1, where we take the exit wave on the chin now and reap the economic and personal freedom benefits. The big downside is that a lot of young people will end up with long covid, but that’s the least worst option IMO compared to potentially putting the NHS in danger in the autumn or another 9 months of lockdown. 

And you can catch it jab or not. We're all going catch it at somepoint. The most at risk at the most protected, everyone else has has the chance of some protection. 

People will end up in hospital and people will sadly die but that's unavoidable sadly.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

TND has been briefed about potential vaccine passports for events and face nappies back on public transport in the winter. No legal limits on social contact.

That's just about OK. Anything more than that is unacceptable 

1 hour ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Yup, table service is definitely 'a good thing' in my book. Very civilised. I hope a few places keep it going. I do tip for table service to encourage this in my own small way. 

That's been the one good thing at work. Tips have gone through the roof. Everything else has been shit. 

12 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's an interesting article. Worth reading for anyone nervous about the 19th and beyond 

It is interesting, I’m nervous about about it and I’ve found it helpful to be honest. 

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Why it's time to think differently about Covid https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57678942

Nick Triggle is exactly who we need, a reasoned and reliable voice who puts things into context but doesn't sensationalise events, nor does he sugar coat it. Him, Fergus Walsh and Hugh Pym have been exceptional throughout the pandemic for the BBC

Just now, zahidf said:

I agree on ventilation but the rest is ridiculous

To be honest, I don't understand why ventilation hasn't been seriously dealt with before now.

We've known it's a significant factor for what must be well over a year at this point, so there's been plenty of time to study it, draw up new standards, and get the appropriate legislation on the books. Obviously it's not in any way realistic to mandate new standards for ventilation/circulation before reopening as the kind of work involved is going to take at minimum several years in many cases, but they could have made a lot more progress in the second half of last year.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

And exactly why we should be ramping up the vaccine programme. I'm still not sure why it's going in the opposite direction when it's effectiveness in my aspects has been proven

It is odd, and the good old media again failed to pick up on it and ask the scientific advisors the specific question. The whole point was to ramp up the vaccinations in the four week period, but they’ve gone the other way.  

29 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's an interesting article. Worth reading for anyone nervous about the 19th and beyond 

Whilst I understand the efforts to relieve fears quite a lot of people have jumped on the zero Covid bandwagon now. So it’s going to be a long adjustment period.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Won’t be winning many voters with guff like this.

Exactly what I was thinking. Labour should just be encouraging people to keep masks on as opposition. Not incurring huge costs to businesses. Doesn’t help the case that Labour thinks all businesses are like Amazon, Apple, and Google.

8 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

People will end up in hospital and people will sadly die but that's unavoidable sadly.

Not just picking on you but have you selected which family member you are willing to sacrifice? And have you told them so they understand it’s for the greater good?

• Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Not just picking on you but have you selected which family member you are willing to sacrifice? And have you told them so they understand it’s for the greater good?

That’s not what he said at all, lol.

Pre-Covid it was a fact of life and post-Covid is a fact of life. Everyone wishes the best health for all family members and friends but we know it’s unrealistic. Don’t understand how you’ve reached this conclusion.

5 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

It's not some sort of purge where picking one person from the family will save the others  - people died before Covid, people have been dying through Covid of other things and people will die of Covid and other things after Covid. 

Some stuff just comes down to your genetics and luck. 

There are years where there are deaths at Glastonbury - should we cancel it because of that? 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter