Jump to content

When will this shit end?


Chrisp1986

Recommended Posts

Just now, gooner1990 said:

If you aren’t fascinated then why did you constantly get involved in the discussion/arguing a few months ago? 

I meant I don't see the fascination in whether people are productive in their work or not. I'm interested in the overall discussion regarding future of working though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I've supervised different numbers of people at different times. I can't do my job from home but I've always worked on the basis that if the work is done to the required standard, I don't give a monkeys what else you get up to. Just don't take the piss. Might not be company policy (it never is) but it works for me

Yep working smarter not harder is always my thing as well. In the first month I started working at my current company I changed a process that was taking approx 2 hours to something that could be done in 20 minutes. If I put my feet up and did sweet fa for a month they'd still have saved a fortune by employing me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

also you have those people who might be working insane hours because there I nobody making them go home or locking up. 

This is actually a bigger concern and one I am most guilty of. I am still working because I want to get the annoying boring task out of the way and will probably spend most of the night doing it even though they stopped paying me an hour ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, gigpusher said:

This is actually a bigger concern and one I am most guilty of. I am still working because I want to get the annoying boring task out of the way and will probably spend most of the night doing it even though they stopped paying me an hour ago. 

I do that too, it's a symptom of my OCD though where if I get an email come in late in the day, I find it very hard to leave it till the next day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

This is actually a bigger concern and one I am most guilty of. I am still working because I want to get the annoying boring task out of the way and will probably spend most of the night doing it even though they stopped paying me an hour ago. 

Yep - I've been the same (and I'm and official home worker anyway) I'm hoping when there are other options I will finish work at more reasonable hours again but it's hard to break routine... And unlike my old office it's effort to go to the pub now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I do that too, it's a symptom of my OCD though where if I get an email come in late in the day, I find it very hard to leave it till the next day.

Yes I also just hate doing really boring jobs so would rather get them out of the way. During the pandemic when I haven't had anything else to do my work have gotten weeks of extra work out of me including nights, weekends etc. Any days when I do take the piss have been well and truly earned in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Why do people get so het up about what other people do? Whether they work from home or not, whether they're productive or not, whether they plan to wear masks or not. You do you, why would you care how productive or not some strangers on the internet are? Baffling.

Yeah, it's all become a bit Daily Mail around here again. 

My WFH experience has been mostly positive. I've seen significant personal and business benefits. My employer is fairly progressive. The corporate plan is now to provide office space on a 50% occupancy basis while actual attendance is a balance of personal, team and client needs. Also anyone that prefers to be in the office full time will be accommodated. 

One of the biggest benefits we have seen is the ability to fill vacancies in the team from staff around the UK where previously we would have only considered people in our local office. 

The pandemic has accelerated what was happening slowly anyway. I'm sure as the business benefits become more widely recognised that the archaic view of some middle managers out there will look more and more anachronistic. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Yep - I've been the same (and I'm and official home worker anyway) I'm hoping when there are other options I will finish work at more reasonable hours again but it's hard to break routine... And unlike my old office it's effort to go to the pub now.

Same here. I'm a homeworker from pre-pandemic but usually when you work from home I would have gigs planned or gym classes or meals out (you know that thing we used to have called a social life!!) and that stopped me from overworking. 

Looking forward to getting it all back 😄

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep working smarter not harder is always my thing as well. In the first month I started working at my current company I changed a process that was taking approx 2 hours to something that could be done in 20 minutes. If I put my feet up and did sweet fa for a month they'd still have saved a fortune by employing me. 

Oh yeah, a big fan of that. Essentially I'm quite lazy and don't get paid a great deal so I'll put a bit of effort into finding a better way of doing something to save me in the long run. Usually leads to fewer problems and mistakes from other staff too which ultimately makes my life easier too. I suppose I should put some effort into finding a better paid job but like I said, quite lazy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Yeah, it's all become a bit Daily Mail around here again. 

My WFH experience has been mostly positive. I've seen significant personal and business benefits. My employer is fairly progressive. The corporate plan is now to provide office space on a 50% occupancy basis while actual attendance is a balance of personal, team and client needs. Also anyone that prefers to be in the office full time will be accommodated. 

One of the biggest benefits we have seen is the ability to fill vacancies in the team from staff around the UK where previously we would have only considered people in our local office. 

The pandemic has accelerated what was happening slowly anyway. I'm sure as the business benefits become more widely recognised that the archaic view of some middle managers out there will look more and more anachronistic. 

Sounds pretty similar to mine.

I read somewhere it has sped up the evolution of office working by about 5 years or so. I think the majority of businesses will evolve and work with their employees to find a way that works for both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Oh yeah, a big fan of that. Essentially I'm quite lazy and don't get paid a great deal so I'll put a bit of effort into finding a better way of doing something to save me in the long run. Usually leads to fewer problems and mistakes from other staff too which ultimately makes my life easier too. I suppose I should put some effort into finding a better paid job but like I said, quite lazy 

I just hate doing anything that's boring and repetitive so if I can find a way to make things take less time I will. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sounds pretty similar to mine.

I read somewhere it has sped up the evolution of office working by about 5 years or so. I think the majority of businesses will evolve and work with their employees to find a way that works for both.

I agree. It certainly busted a number of myths about WFH. I'm not sure it would have worked so well 5 years or so ago. The wide availability of cheap broadband Internet and effective video conference applications have been huge enablers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...