When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The key point is, Boris makes his key decisions with a close group of 3 trusted ministers. The chancellor of the exchequer (Sunak), the Health Secretary (Was Hancock, Now Sexy Saj) and the chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster (Gove).

Previously this group had a 2-1 split in favour of extending restrictions so only Sunak was in there persuading Boris to reopen. Now it’s 2-1 in favour of opening up so Gove is the only one in the room wanting to extend. Boris is someone who really involves his senior ministers in decision making (unlike May who had a “my way or the highway” attitude).

I’d put good money on a full reopening in three weeks time with face nappies removed.

I preferred my life ten minutes ago before I read 'Sexy Saj'

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I reckon all social distancing, limits and masks will go, but people will be asked to be responsible. For some events people will be required to prove test or vaccine. For international travel they will keep green and red list countries, and bin amber....but to get into some places might need proof of vaccine and/or test, and same for people coming here.

Maybe.

Potentially still having WFH guidance still there or at least not telling people togo back to offices like last summer.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Havors said:

Mostly because they are still trying to make double jabbed people self isolate for 10 bloody days because they may or may not have been in the same room as someone at a restaurant who tested positive etc etc... 

They need to change the guidance. 2 x negative lateral flow tests 72 hours apart should be enough to give confidence you don't need to isolate.... especially if you are double jabbed. 

That tweet refers to people who have themselves tested positive, though. I agree that self-isolation for double-jabbed people who’ve been vaguely near someone who tested positive is stupid and needs to be binned.

• Upvote 1

Let’s be honest, the 21% of people who have tested positive and have not self isolated for the required 10 day period are selfish, inconsiderate arseholes. There is just no excusing that sort of behaviour, under any circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Let’s be honest, the 21% of people who have tested positive and have not self isolated for the required 10 day period are selfish, inconsiderate arseholes. There is just no excusing that sort of behaviour, under any circumstances. 

some people might not be able to afford to.

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Definitely. How it would cross someones mind baffles me. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

some people might not be able to afford to.

and that situation will only get worse come the Autumn when, if we keep on testing like we are, case numbers will be huge as will contacts - fully vaccinated will certainly question if isolating is in any way 'normal'

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I know someone who has tested positive today - had 1/2 of the Pfizer jab.

Completely asymptomatic. Only found out because someone in their office tested positive and everyone had to take a test.

I guess it’s good news that those even with one jab will only notice their case if they get tested? Are we also seeing a rise in asymptomatic cases which means the virus is spreading easier? Someone advise me on the science.

Yes it is spreading far more easily and once we open up it will spread very far and very fast which is why vaccinations are votal.

Here is a news story to back that up:

Some 24 out of 30 attendees have become infected with COVID-19 at a birthday party in Sydney, Australia, which is being described as a "superspreader" event. 

Those who did not become infected were six health workers who had been fully vaccinated, according to ABC News. 

"To emphasise just how important vaccinations are … not one of those 24 people were vaccinated," said New South Wales health minister Brad Hazzard. 

He continued: "Obviously, it's an unfolding situation… but the early and strong indication from that party are if you're vaccinated you are much more likely to not be infected with COVID-19.

"Short message is, get vaccinated."

36 minutes ago, jump said:

It was surpassingly easy to get tixs but I wouldn't say it was easy to get tixs nearer to the start of the fest. It did sell out and there was also a cut-off date as you needed to complete surveys and tests at home so it's not a situation where you can decide to go the day before the fest.

I would have got a Lattitude ticket, if it was another 10,000 person pilot thing. But when I found out it was full price and full capacity, I decided not to. At least all this means there might be a , full capacity Reading Festival. I’m really looking forward to that. 

Is there a significance to them cancelling today? I.e. they've seen the government announcement later re July 19th easing and it doesn't provide any clarity?

Cropredy is a weird one as it's basically a socially distanced festival anyway (or was when I last went in 2011 or something). Campsite has bags of space and everyone sits down miles apart in the arena. We actually got told off for standing up near the front of the stage as we blocked the view of someone who had been sat there all day. Luckily I didn't used to go there for the music (although Alice Cooper was great).

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Is there a significance to them cancelling today? I.e. they've seen the government announcement later re July 19th easing and it doesn't provide any clarity?

Cropredy is a weird one as it's basically a socially distanced festival anyway (or was when I last went in 2011 or something). Campsite has bags of space and everyone sits down miles apart in the arena. We actually got told off for standing up near the front of the stage as we blocked the view of someone who had been sat there all day. Luckily I didn't used to go there for the music (although Alice Cooper was great).

Their statement says they have to spend lots now to make it happen and have received no guidance or information at all and there will be no more any time soon

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Their statement says they have to spend lots now to make it happen and have received no guidance or information at all and there will be no more any time soon

Yeah I read the statement, just wondered if the timing was significant. Like maybe they were hoping the government would reveal something today and have been told that's not happening as part of Javid's statement later.

25 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I would have got a Lattitude ticket, if it was another 10,000 person pilot thing. But when I found out it was full price and full capacity, I decided not to. At least all this means there might be a , full capacity Reading Festival. I’m really looking forward to that. 

Any reason why you'd be happy going to reading at full capacity but not latitude?

On 6/26/2021 at 11:00 AM, fraybentos1 said:

Surely even you don’t believe yourself at this point with this nonsense 

That's a weird thing to call out. If I go out I also see that most people in pubs and restaurants are in groups of 6 or fewer - is that not what you're seeing?

Now I'll admit that it's not particularly meaningful, because if I went out at any point pre-COVID most people in pubs and restaurants were also there in groups of 6 or fewer. That's generally how people go to pubs/restaurants. So for most people no effort is needed to follow the rules. 

If you're seeing people mostly being out in larger groups, that's really weird.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, BobWillis2 said:

SAGE isn’t full of behavioural scientists by coincidence. 

Look at Christmas, plenty of people took it on the chin and said “never mind we’ll just have our Christmas in a couple of months instead”, if people would have known indoor mixing would be illegal until mid May and limited to 6 until late July* I think many more families would have said “fuck it, it’s only one day let’s have a proper Christmas” and I don’t think you could fully blame the public for thinking that, we’re not programmed to be away from our friends and family for that long. 

* so far 

Since the pre-Christmas plans there have been two new variants of COVID. They're sequenced and there are scientific papers on them, you can read them, they are definitely real and definitely more infectious. Sure, new variants were always a possibility but they were never a certainty. It's not some conspiracy - we had a plan to open up or be open for specific dates and then a variant came along and scuppered that. Just bad luck. It could even happen again in the next few weeks. But there's no cunning government plan to keep us all on the edges of our seat - just bad luck with variants. 

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I read the statement, just wondered if the timing was significant. Like maybe they were hoping the government would reveal something today and have been told that's not happening as part of Javid's statement later.

I think that there will be nothing in the statement except 5th July too soon but nothing to suggest 19th will not happen. Decision and announcement on 12th.

Maybe a little carrot of a couple of things on 5th - like they did with weddings, but nothing concrete and certainly no advice coming for large events and certainly no insurance scheme

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That's a weird thing to call out. If I go out I also see that most people in pubs and restaurants are in groups of 6 or fewer - is that not what you're seeing?

Now I'll admit that it's not particularly meaningful, because if I went out at any point pre-COVID most people in pubs and restaurants were also there in groups of 6 or fewer. That's generally how people go to pubs/restaurants. So for most people no effort is needed to follow the rules. 

If you're seeing people mostly being out in larger groups, that's really weird.

I was meaning more this insistence that everyone is following the rules when it really isn't the case anymore, support is defo slipping. Most people follow some of the rules most of the time but few people have followed all the rules since day 1, it is a borderline impossibility to have done so without locking yourself in your house for 18 months.

Pubs/ restaurants you don't have much of a choice when attending but clearly people are going to visit other people's homes in larger number than they are meant to. Even within pubs, are you seriously telling me that everyone you see puts their mask on when going to the toilet, follows all one way signs, doesn't stop to converse with people outwith their groups etc? That is not my experience.

Story out of New South Wales (currently in a fresh lock down) today. Somebody had a party with 30 guests. Every single one of them contracted Covid except the six people who'd been vaccinated.

Great to start to read examples of how important vaccination is.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-28/vaccinated-attendees-west-hoxton-birthday-party-avoid-covid-19/100249612

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Story out of New South Wales (currently in a fresh lock down) today. Somebody had a party with 30 guests. Every single one of them contracted Covid except the six people who'd been vaccinated.

Great to start to read examples of how important vaccination is.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-28/vaccinated-attendees-west-hoxton-birthday-party-avoid-covid-19/100249612

My sister is in Sydney and sent this in an email yesterday and being aircrew herself I'd assume there is some veracity to it.

We have now been placed in lockdown for  2 weeks due the Delta variant spread by a driver driving around overseas flight crew without a mask… as a result has spread like wildfire….82 cases