When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Nothing sustained but most of them look pretty flat bar the under 20s who are less of an issue. Just got to give it a few more days and see I guess.

Hasn't Pfizer already been approved for the over 12 age group? Maybe time to get them all done before September.

Edit: break the chains of infection if we can.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hasn't Pfizer already been approved for the over 12 age group? Maybe time to get them all done before September.

Edit: break the chains of infection if we can.

Approved by the MHRA, but not recommended by the JCVI

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

On the other hand, it's pretty disheartening to see no decreases in any part of the population - when will it actually start to decrease?

Surely rates don’t need to decrease if hospitalisations and deaths are low? Besides they’ll probably start to go down in that age range in a few weeks as that age group have only just started to get jabbed. 

47 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Whether it's Javid or Hancock I don't think much has changed, the data from hospitals will still be the same, the advice will still be the same...and I think the same decision to go to step 4 on 19th July will still be the same.

The key point is, Boris makes his key decisions with a close group of 3 trusted ministers. The chancellor of the exchequer (Sunak), the Health Secretary (Was Hancock, Now Sexy Saj) and the chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster (Gove).

Previously this group had a 2-1 split in favour of extending restrictions so only Sunak was in there persuading Boris to reopen. Now it’s 2-1 in favour of opening up so Gove is the only one in the room wanting to extend. Boris is someone who really involves his senior ministers in decision making (unlike May who had a “my way or the highway” attitude).

I’d put good money on a full reopening in three weeks time with face nappies removed.

With 19th July looking increasingly likely, what will actually change in reality?

- Events?
- Masks requirements?
- Social distancing in hospitality?
- Numbers at weddings and other private functions?
- Indoors rule of 6?
- No outdoor cap on groups?

All of those, or just some? Will there still be caveats on some things i.e. double jabbed / negative test?

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

With 19th July looking increasingly likely, what will actually change in reality?

- Events?
- Masks requirements?
- Indoors rule of 6?

All of those, or just some? Will there still be caveats on some things i.e. double jabbed / negative test?

All of the above will be gone imo except maybe vaccine/LFT passports for big events. 

Like I said the other day, it’s all but over now. Deep in injury time and the ref is slowly lifting the whistle to his lips. 

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

- Events?
- Masks requirements?
- Indoors rule of 6?

Given that test events are still being held after the 19th July I cannot se any large events or festivals happening any time soo sadly.

International travel will likely not change much so all I really see is you can prop up the bar again.

Just because test events are planned for after the 19th, that doesn’t necessarily mean events will still be illegal after that.

Basically they had to guarantee test event status for latitude to ensure they wouldn’t have to cancel like Truck, Kendall Calling etc. The government could give the green light on 12th July for reopening on the 19th, but that will come far too late in the day for events planned on the last week of July. That’s why Latitude has been given test event status, but it’s certainly far from impossible that events get the go ahead. My best guess is that there will be covid certificates in place for such events. 

20 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Given that test events are still being held after the 19th July I cannot se any large events or festivals happening any time soo sadly.

International travel will likely not change much so all I really see is you can prop up the bar again.

If they wait until 12 July before saying ‘actually, no, Freedom Day isn’t really that, events still can’t happen’ there will be absolute uproar. Not saying they won’t do it, but they will essentially be taking full responsibility for killing off an entire industry.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Just because test events are planned for after the 19th, that doesn’t necessarily mean events will still be illegal after that.

Basically they had to guarantee test event status for latitude to ensure they wouldn’t have to cancel like Truck, Kendall Calling etc. The government could give the green light on 12th July for reopening on the 19th, but that will come far too late in the day for events planned on the last week of July. That’s why Latitude has been given test event status, but it’s certainly far from impossible that events get the go ahead. My best guess is that there will be covid certificates in place for such events. 

I shall hold on to your thoughts and hope they are right - though later today I understand there will be news of more cancellations, some in August

1 minute ago, sjseabass said:

If they wait until 12 July before saying ‘actually, no, Freedom Day isn’t really that, events still can’t happen’ there will be absolute uproar. Not saying they won’t do it, but they will essentially be taking full responsibility for killing off an entire industry.

Totally agree, but I am just not seeing or hearing anything that tells me that festivals will get the go ahead - apart from what @Fuzzy Afro posted about which I have everything crossed for.

19th will 100% not be 'freedom' day though as International travel will still have huge restrictions.

I know someone who has tested positive today - had 1/2 of the Pfizer jab.

Completely asymptomatic. Only found out because someone in their office tested positive and everyone had to take a test.

I guess it’s good news that those even with one jab will only notice their case if they get tested? Are we also seeing a rise in asymptomatic cases which means the virus is spreading easier? Someone advise me on the science.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My prediction for august is that all the “organised” festivals will be cancelled and then we get a bunch of hastily arranged one day efforts thrown together at 5 minutes notice. 

The ticket for Download Pilot was only £130. Apparently, it was very easy to get tickets nearer the start of the festival. So the little Pilot festivals seem to be cheaper and easier to go to.

48 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

- Events?
- Masks requirements?
- Indoors rule of 6?

I reckon all social distancing, limits and masks will go, but people will be asked to be responsible. For some events people will be required to prove test or vaccine. For international travel they will keep green and red list countries, and bin amber....but to get into some places might need proof of vaccine and/or test, and same for people coming here.

Maybe.

15 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Mostly because they are still trying to make double jabbed people self isolate for 10 bloody days because they may or may not have been in the same room as someone at a restaurant who tested positive etc etc... 

They need to change the guidance. 2 x negative lateral flow tests 72 hours apart should be enough to give confidence you don't need to isolate.... especially if you are double jabbed. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I reckon all social distancing, limits and masks will go, but people will be asked to be responsible. For some events people will be required to prove test or vaccine. For international travel they will keep green and red list countries, and bin amber....but to get into some places might need proof of vaccine and/or test, and same for people coming here.

Maybe.

This would be the common sense approach and one I agree with. We have come to learn common sense no longer exists in large parts when it comes to this virus/pandemic/government. 

4 minutes ago, stt11 said:

The ticket for Download Pilot was only £130. Apparently, it was very easy to get tickets nearer the start of the festival. So the little Pilot festivals seem to be cheaper and easier to go to.

It was surpassingly easy to get tixs but I wouldn't say it was easy to get tixs nearer to the start of the fest. It did sell out and there was also a cut-off date as you needed to complete surveys and tests at home so it's not a situation where you can decide to go the day before the fest.