When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's why I've never even been in doubt that winter will have restrictions and maybe lockdowns 

Well we have to push back against the nerds trying to make us lockdown over flu.

Edited by zahidf

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Rules bent it seems all over the place now.

Another hen party - true story as well 😜

Woke up to Facebook feed from family members Facebook to see hen night pictures with at least 12 people - one huge long table so not two separate bookings - clearly arranged that way  - all different households partying away like its 2019.  Including elderly grandmother.  2 of them are nurses.  

I don't know how to feel about it lol.  I do think we should open up but I don't think it's fair some things like this are getting a free pass in the mean time and things like me going to sports day, can my kid have a prom, or if my kids can go to school on Monday are still question marks.

I don't begrudge my family member doing this just to be clear.  It's more a sense of fairness on a wider basis that stuff like this is happening while other lose out.  Seems to be daily now I see stuff like this.

Thankfully they are all vaccinated so risk very low.

Mad times 

If you can’t beat them join them etc.

Those following rules / guidelines are now in a minority and have been left behind.

Apart from masks inside a shop etc, 6 to a table in pubs / restaurants I don’t actually know what the rules are anymore?

Is it still only 6 people outside?! Surely not.

Where I’m from in the SW town / city centre pubs are following rules but those out of town and in the sticks have watered them down somewhat.

There we’re locals propping up the bar maskless when I watched the England game on Tuesday!

I'm sure fewer people are strictly following the rules but I still see a lot of compliance. Went to Trafford centre the other evening, and I reckon about 75% were still wearing masks.  Who knows about house parties etc, if I was young and groovy I'd be going to as many as I can... it's a long time for people not to be able to socialize like they used to. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Little bastards!

Apparently its  thing for the kids to use fruit juices and some fizzy drinks (coke / lemonade)  to trigger a positive lateral flow test.  Tried it out tonight - caprisun - it works!

lol - these tests are so shit 🙂 

Moonshot my arse Boris!

Good effort kids. Slightly cleverer than running the thermometer under the hot tap

58 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If you can’t beat them join them etc.

Those following rules / guidelines are now in a minority and have been left behind.

Then count me in the "minority" and "left behind" for following scientific advice. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, sime said:

Then count me in the "minority" and "left behind" for following scientific advice. 

I guess I follow the rules by default most of the time, but for you does it not depend on the circumstances?
For example, if 6 of your friends were having a drink round one of their houses watching the football, would you not turn up to be the 7th person as you’d be breaking the rules? 

Edited by st dan

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I expect you're actually in the silent majority.

Hope so. I get the optimism for a return to some kind of normal and hope the scientists give the all clear to end the final lockdown stage on 19th July. But that ending might be delayed if people start following what others do and break the guidance rules. It feels to me like we are at the final hurdle (ish). I really hope we don't fudge it up.

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

I guess I follow the rules by default most of the time, but for you does it not depend on the circumstances?
For example, if 6 of your friends were having a drink round of their houses watching the football, would you not turn up to be the 7th person as you’d be breaking the rules? 

I have been in exactly this situation recently for two birthday parties and I said no to both invites. As did other friends of mine. I understood why the parties were happening. Not just to celebrate birthdays but to finally have some fun now that most of my friends are double vaccinated. Which doesn't of course make you Covid proof but does still offer a lot of protection.

I didn't judge them for doing it but politely declined as I am doing what I can to try and help us all get over the line. That means I am missing out on some fun but I think it's worth it in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Delta variant taking hold I Italy apparently.  The travel restrictions do seem a bit pointless and do seem more centred around punishment than cure.  On our side as well.

Yeah, complete pointless. Here most countries have Portugal with strong Delta on Green, the UK on Red, some the UK also Green, Germany has both on Red - and to top that the UK has also a less transparent travel system - for all travelers a bit confusing.

Just now, Hannibal Schmitt said:

Yeah, complete pointless. Here most countries have Portugal with strong Delta on Green, the UK on Red, some the UK also Green, Germany has both on Red - and to top that the UK has also a less transparent travel system - for all travelers a bit confusing.

I think maybe travellers should have the summer off travelling.

My neighbour is now isolating with her family after going to a Hen do and also the reception class at her daughters school having a positive case , and so is a work colleague whose kids were both sent home from different schools locally. I have a small work event for 2 days next week under socially distanced rules but am worried anyone with kids are going to start pulling out! 

27 minutes ago, st dan said:

For example, if 6 of your friends were having a drink round one of their houses watching the football, would you not turn up to be the 7th person as you’d be breaking the rules? 

Actually had a similar situation to this recently and I did put my foot down and not go. 

It might seem a dorky thing to do, but the biggest things I want back from this pandemic are gigs, festivals and travelling abroad. I personally don’t see the point in breaking the rules for little things when the main stuff I want back are still off the table. The quickest way those things will return is if we follow the guidelines currently in place. No judgement on anyone else, I just feel personally it’d be hypocritical and a bit pointless to break the current rules when I still can’t do the stuff I most want to do anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

actually saying that my brother and his family are hoping to come over from US for my mum's 90th birthday bash at end of July...so allow some exemptions for them.

Hope the best. Clearer Guidelines for travellers would be good. The US here is also rated with strictest measures, also 10 day quarantine mandatory with the possibility for free testing after 5 days, does not matter if you are vaccinated or not, not because its rated variant country of concern (like India or Brazil, where the same measures are in place), simply because there are no agreements between US and EU.

31 minutes ago, sime said:

Hope so. I get the optimism for a return to some kind of normal and hope the scientists give the all clear to end the final lockdown stage on 19th July. But that ending might be delayed if people start following what others do and break the guidance rules. It feels to me like we are at the final hurdle (ish). I really hope we don't fudge it up.

we still use numbers of cases as a one of  the reasons for decisions ... whilst I understand that people are breaking restrictions those same people are making cases for all restrictions ending ... so surely meeting in smaller groups is much more beneficial to keep infections lower .... and therefore get things open again ..... Im with you on keeping to  restrictions ... i just don't have need to have groups more than 6 .... im meeting mates for a birthday meal tonight and decided to book 1 table for 6 rather than a couple of tables ... I can actually chat to everyone then ... oh and we are all double jabbed so that helps too 🙂 

• Upvote 1