When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Havors said:

More testing? + More sensitive tests? + Delta variant + Youngsters mixing as they used to while not vaccinated. 

All those = more cases. It appears the cases are mostly trivial though as we would expect with younger people. That is the biggest thing to follow.

Europe will likely follow suit at some point... 

We're lucky to have had such a good rollout so far, especially with the variant hitting now and such effective vaccines. Europe will probably follow suit soon enough, especially with them all wanting to go on our green list thus spreading around more 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

I can definitely see the Euro Semis and Final being taken away from us - it would make no sense having it here with the numbers we are seeing right now. 

Why? It would all be local/UK fans anyway.... and its a pilot with testing and the such in place... 

9 minutes ago, st dan said:

I can definitely see the Euro Semis and Final being taken away from us - it would make no sense having it here with the numbers we are seeing right now. 

Agreed. Momentum is moving in the wrong direction - not just cases but hospitalisations and deaths. At minimum they should revert back to the original 25% capacity. 

Edited by kalifire

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Why? It would all be local/UK fans anyway.... and its a pilot with testing and the such in place... 

Because in the midst of a pandemic, to me it makes little sense to bring people (fans, sponsors, UEFA delegates etc) from all over Europe into a country that is currently experiencing much higher positive cases than the rest of the continent. Seems like a very silly thing to do for a game of football, given the possible knock on effects. 

Edited by st dan
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Glastonbury - it isn't for the likes of us - apparently...

What a c**t! 

Glastonbury was always  a place where people helped each other, looked out for each other, cared about each other.

You quite clearly show that you care about you and you only by your posts on here. The way you end your comment above also adds weight to that.

If you cannot say and do what you want, when you want, how you want you get nasty. There are hundreds of comments on this thread to show that.

No doubt you will downvote me, quote me and swear again.

Decent people are what Glastonbury was and should always be about. It is not a place for divisive, nasty, selfish people and personally, no people like that are not welcome there................. but it seems there will be more than ever judging by you and others here.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

The irony is that by attending the games you are probably at far less risk of contracting or passing on the virus than those watching it in a pub or at their mates house. 

In all honesty I don't think it's the attending crowds that are the issue, more the thousands who went to Leicester Square and other places and gathered for no good reason 

38 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yeah, up to 20% of cases here now in the last few days (from about 5% a week or two ago). Thankfully cases are still low and haven't risen after the last step of our opening (outdoor dining/drinking opened up a few weeks ago, along with gyms, pools non-essential retail etc)...in fact cases continue to drop (as well as hospital numbers), but they are definitely wary of it (we were due to open up indoors on July 5th, for a while there was a suggestion they would hold off til the end of July when 70% are double jabbed, but they are talking again about keeping to the original plan and allowing indoor dining and drinking on July 5th...the step we are due to take though is what coincided with the take off of delta in the UK, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pause, and maybe even use the digital health certificate for things it isn't used for in the UK, but is being used for in some parts of the EU (like indoor dining/drinking...there was a suggestion today that sitting outdoors could be done without the pass, but the pass would be required to sit indoors)). A proposal to our vaccination committee also went in today to start using AZ in younger cohorts (currently it's over 50s) as in the next few weeks we'll have finished second doses for everyone that already had it and will have hundreds of thousands of doses we can't use under the current guidance (don't have an excess of J&J yet, but that will happen too if they don't start using it in younger people and J&J actually manage to deliver a decent amount of doses!). Pfizer deliveries drop back to normal levels in about 3 weeks time (there were a bunch of extra doses delivered over the last month, which has really turbo charged the vaccination programme), so having something else to use to get us to the end a bit quicker would be handy (and the threat of a wave of delta infections is the reason they want to change the guidance on using AZ, coupled with better management of any complications that may arise from doing so).  Loosening restrictions is aspirationally irreversible here, but not guaranteed, so they will step back if it gets out of control and starts filtering into the hospitals (there's 30 odd people in hospital with Covid in the whole of Ireland at the moment though, which is a far cry from 2500+ that were in hospital back in January and weekly admissions are still dropping...for the moment!). 

very interesting. thanks for the info. yeah, here pretty much the same. cases are down now, yesterday 58 in the whole country, today around 100. until now they found 361 overall delta cases but the sequencing in Austria is not the best - i read an article about that yesterday from an expert - always very interesting - he also mentioned the herd immunity saying „The old phrase »herd immunity« has its roots in veterinary medicine, in mouse laboratories and dubious experiments on humans, explains epidemiologist Robert Zangerle today. He describes why the concept against Covid makes sense, but is still inappropriate. More attention should be paid to protecting those who cannot get vaccinations.“ This was only the headliner. His articles are too long to publish here, but always highly interesting - similar to your comments. Yeah, I think the overall message for now should be to hold cases to low levels, somewhen the delta will kick in - but nevertheless our government will open up from 1st July nearly everything - I think only mask in public transport and hospitals will remain, but you can do nearly all restriction free with the green passport. Travel is also no problem, apart from some countries, unfortunately the UK included where flights are not allowed at the moment. Chancellor Kurz has met Mr. Drosten yesterday (together with Merkel and Van der Leyen) and told he is very confident after the meeting for the rest of the summer, but that is more politic trash talk I guess. Vaccination target end of June will be missed, now it will be end of July or early August, but some counties are already vaccinating the younger population now. After canceling the AZ today they announced that they will now go on with the AZ. But I can`t complain - had already both jabs with Modern and it went pretty well.

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Because in the midst of a pandemic, to me it makes little sense to bring people (fans, sponsors, UEFA delegates etc) from all over Europe into a country that is currently experiencing much higher positive cases than the rest of Europe? Seems like a very silly thing to do for a game of football, given the possible knock on effects. 

No fans from all over Europe... it will be pretty much all UK fans.

Delegates coming in (all tested/jabbed etc) and mixing with nobody but themselves is hardly going to cause a problem. If that was the case we shouldn't have allowed the G7 either... 

It is also a pilot event, so everyone will be checked for double jabs, tests before hand and after etc etc

I can understand your reservations I just dont think they are well founded under these particular circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

No fans from all over Europe... it will be pretty much all UK fans.

Delegates coming in (all tested/jabbed etc) and mixing with nobody but themselves is hardly going to cause a problem. If that was the case we shouldn't have allowed the G7 either... 

It is also a pilot event, so everyone will be checked for double jabs, tests before hand and after etc etc

I can understand your reservations I just dont think they are well founded under these particular circumstances. 

Yeah that’s fair - I’m just thinking of it from UEFA’s perspective who might make the decision given pressure from the governments and leaders throughout Europe. We can already see Merkel having her say today. 

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Glastonbury was always  a place where people helped each other, looked out for each other, cared about each other.

You quite clearly show that you care about you and you only by your posts on here. The way you end your comment above also adds weight to that.

If you cannot say and do what you want, when you want, how you want you get nasty. There are hundreds of comments on this thread to show that.

No doubt you will downvote me, quote me and swear again.

Decent people are what Glastonbury was and should always be about. It is not a place for divisive, nasty, selfish people and personally, no people like that are not welcome there................. but it seems there will be more than ever judging by you and others here.

Your'e looking down your nose at people is not very Glastonbury is it?

How about you just accept that everyone is different and just because you don't understand the sarcasm, fallacious humour or the fact people can have different opinions without meaning they are nasty, selfish horrible people. 

Just now, st dan said:

Yeah that’s fair - I’m just thinking of it from UEFA’s perspective who might make the decision given pressure from the governments and leaders throughout Europe. We can already see Merkel having her say today. 

Oh well yeah we may see some political games being played for sure. And some pressure put on UEFA etc..  that I can definitely see happening. 

@Nobody Interesting, the fish is best ignored. He’s either obsessing over Christina Pagel or casually attribiting mental health conditions to disparage people who trigger him. No idea what he’s doing here, tbh. Certainly not in keeping with the forum or contributing anything of interest or value.

Rest assured the Glastonbury spirit lives on, largely outside this thread, and it’s starting to build. Less than a year to go! Covid can’t stop it now! (hopefully) 👍

Edited by kalifire

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

@Nobody Interesting, the fish is best ignored. He’s either obsessing over Christina Pagel or casually attribiting mental health conditions to disparage people who trigger him. No idea what he’s doing here, tbh. Certainly not in keeping with the forum or contributing anything of interest or value.

Rest assured the Glastonbury spirit lives on, largely outside this thread, and it’s starting to build. Less than a year to go! Covid can’t stop it now! (hopefully) 👍

Love a bit of irony me. 😄 😄😄 

Showing some signs of progress here, our Dr's surgery for once have been pretty good organising Covid jabs. Being a fat old fart I'd been double-jabbed by the end of May and just received a Txt from the Dr's asking if I want to participate in a combined Flu/Covid booster program later this year. As I have the flu jab every year I suppose I'll sign up.

I've even bought my first gig tickets in over a year - so I now have three gigs in 2021 (two are rescheduled ones). Normally I'd have 20+ gigs + 2-3 Festivals per year so with being furloughed this last year has been tough..

It's not as if I've given my tinnitus a rest either as it flared up for a week after both jabs. 

Back at work now, rather than being furloughed (but still working from home until Boris says otherwise) then the new working world for me is a company laptop and only 2-3 days in the office per week because to make our office "covid safe" they had to remove so many desks there are only enough for 60% of the staff - at least on-site parking should be better as before it was a nightmare. 

6 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Some great and astonishing stats here 

82% of all adults is an incredible uptake isn’t it! And that’s with it only being opened to 18-25 for a week or so. Expecting this to get to the low 90’s soon before levelling out, leaving those ‘anti-vaxer’s’ and those who just can’t be bothered to book it.