When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The over focus on a herd immunity level we have no clear idea of is bad.  A uptake of 75% from 40 to 45 year olds would of been viewed as being good back in December. 

I don't think herd immunity is a realistic prospect.

Well they'll either get the vaccine or will get covid. Up to them

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I appreciate things are a bit grim, but some positivity would be a good thing... not everything has to be in the most negative light. 

Maybe it’s to commend all those youngsters who have shown up to get their jabs in their thousands and apologise for all the stirring about them not being interested/to blame for the next wave etc?

But seriously, it might be more of a ‘We’re almost there - one last big British push’  message?

28 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

blah blah blah

If I spend a day with a friend sat inside and he tests positives - I am going to isolate.

If I am sat outside on socially distanced tables and I get a ping on my phone because it randomly swapped Bluetooth packet IDs with other phones - I am not going to isolate. 

Plus I have had the vaccine...

There is a world of difference.  It comes down to what level of certainty is involved.

I am think its pretty selfish to ask me to isolate on such a far fetched maybe to be frank.

Obviously I don't know the OP exact circumstances - but to me they matter before I lock away for 6 days.

Mad times create mad peoples - who look - there you are 🙂 

I'm desperate for a ping to get myself a week off work haha

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Its not legally enforceable from a ping.  

Was you sat outside or inside ? Up to you but I wouldn't be isolating on a maybe if I know I stuck to my bubble and was outside for example.

Inside unfortunately! It definitely felt pretty packed in there. 

All good though, think I'll rearrange with them for August. Surprisingly it's my first ever ping - not sure how I've been so lucky the last 15 months. 

22 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Maybe it’s to commend all those youngsters who have shown up to get their jabs in their thousands and apologise for all the stirring about them not being interested/to blame for the next wave etc?

But seriously, it might be more of a ‘We’re almost there - one last big British push’  message?

It might also be to provide an update as amounts of vaccines being administered in the last few days and weeks have been low. 

31 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The over focus on a herd immunity level we have no clear idea of is bad.  A uptake of 75% from 40 to 45 year olds would of been viewed as being good back in December. 

I don't think herd immunity is a realistic prospect.

Yeah I agree with this - there seems to be a belief it'll go away if we just get everyone jabbed, and Chris whitty seems to be getting either ignored or misunderstood when he makes it clear people will continue to catch it and die in the future and talk of "acceptable death" numbers don't indicate it'll stay in the double or single figures in winter. Vastly reduced of course with vaccines but maybe not to the level people are expecting. I'm just not sure the nation's expectations are entirely realistic - I honestly think many expect it to just disappear.

Which is actually my only reason for why I think winter will have lockdowns - media and public pressure rather than choices from the top.

Edited by efcfanwirral

46 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

blah blah blah

If I spend a day with a friend sat inside and he tests positives - I am going to isolate.

If I am sat outside on socially distanced tables and I get a ping on my phone because it randomly swapped Bluetooth packet IDs with other phones - I am not going to isolate. 

Plus I have had the vaccine...

There is a world of difference.  It comes down to what level of certainty is involved.

I am think its pretty selfish to ask me to isolate on such a far fetched maybe to be frank.

Obviously I don't know the OP exact circumstances - but to me they matter before I lock away for 6 days.

Mad times create mad peoples - who look - there you are 🙂 

A very rationale and well thought out viewpoint 🙂 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Obviously I'll be wrong one of these times- I'm hoping this is the time!! 

Just don’t think they’d be briefing the Times that face nappies, WFH and distancing are going if they weren’t confident this time.

Case numbers will continue rising but the link with deaths has been cigarred. 

20 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I was out of line with that comment and I’m sorry for saying it.

I should clarify, I do sympathise with people experiencing anxiety and would like to see them supported, but I can’t agree with people suggesting NPIs are maintained in order to protect their own mental health. 

Yeah agreed - I find the idea of delaying any re-opening for that reason as silly as the idea that we should have ended any of our lockdowns earlier because people were struggling with mental health then. Those choices needed to (and were) be based on avoiding overwhelming the NHS and keeping people safe. Mental health is a huge issue but in both these cases it plays second fiddle to other stuff.

What's bothered me is places where some people (not you/on here) were, it now seems, fairly cynically using the mental health impacts of lockdown to argue for re-opening early at multiple points during the pandemic, and those same people are now saying that any anxiety people have over re-opening is a nonsense. It makes it quite clear they were only interested in people's mental health when it supported their argument.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Just don’t think they’d be briefing the Times that face nappies, WFH and distancing are going if they weren’t confident this time.

Case numbers will continue rising but the link with deaths has been cigarred. 

They were briefing along the same lines around 2 weeks before 21 June. I remember Gove briefing even as late as just over a week before that if he were a betting man he would bet on the restrictions being lifted. For what it's worth, I am now totally indifferent to it all and if restrictions do indeed lift on 19 July then I'll be pleasantly surprised, as I do not expect/hope for anything anymore with this virus.

If the rise in cases in Scotland is being driven by the football last week, then it really does make a mockery of everybody else who is abiding by restrictions and rules, as well as the decision to delay reopening by four more weeks. All for it to be put in further jeopardy by people travelling to watch a game of football. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

They were briefing along the same lines around 2 weeks before 21 June. I remember Gove briefing even as late as just over a week before that if he were a betting man he would bet on the restrictions being lifted. For what it's worth, I am now totally indifferent to it all and if restrictions do indeed lift on 19 July then I'll be pleasantly surprised, as I do not expect/hope for anything anymore with this virus.

And there's already talk of this delta plus having the south African mutation that let's it further evade vaccines so there's a very familiar pattern of drip briefing right now, alongside optimistic proclamations from the top. Just like a bad re run 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

And there's already talk of this delta plus having the south African mutation that let's it further evade vaccines so there's a very familiar pattern of drip briefing right now, alongside optimistic proclamations from the top. Just like a bad re run 

Delta plus is already being investigated for the last couple of months. Cant find the tweet but its basically nothing massively different to current Delta

Someone online has made JUly 19th the equaivalent of getting Brexit done. Just going for it and hoping for the best. GET COVID DONE

Edited by zahidf

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Delta plus is already being investigated for the last couple of months. Cant find the tweet but its basically nothing massively different to current Delta

Someone online has made JUly 19th the equaivalent of getting Brexit done. Just going for it and hoping for the best. GET COVID DONE

Delta plus binds to the lungs more effectively than the Delta standard and antibody treatments (as in where they get antibodies from someone else and put them in you, not your own) are less effective. The article I read didn't mention anything about it evading your own antibodies so hopefully it doesn't do that.

From BBC.com, relating to Switzerland:

"The Swiss government has announced major relaxations of Covid restrictions, including dropping the mandatory work from home order which has been in place since the middle of January.

Mask wearing in open air public spaces such as train stations, bus and tram stops will be dropped.

Restaurants, shops, and gyms are allowed to operate at full capacity, and nightclubs and music venues can reopen".

Nice.