When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Somebody just sent me this. Mad times we live in. I think were are staying as we are until Spring. 

Staying as we are would be an achievement if the current numbers are a worry 

We're supposed to find a way to live with 10-15,000 deaths per year from this thing like flu...but everyone seems to think the vaccines mean nobody will die from it 

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You would of thought so - yes.

I was discussing this with my mates in the queue for record store day this morning: if this Edgbaston test doesn't prove to be a super spreader event, I'd be seriously pissed off if End of the road festival is cancelled in September. I know it's a bit selfish, but it's my last hope to save my summer from utter fucking boredom!

9 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Somebody just sent me this. Mad times we live in. I think were are staying as we are until Spring. 

CDC put the risk at 1/10,000 from contact transmission and that is presuming someone coughs directly on the contact point and your then touch it and then touch your mouth of eye.

Crazy health theatre...  Just in case...

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

True there will be potential for further variants but as I say nearly every adult will be fully vaccinated soon so the argument will fall away. I could well be wrong but I genuinely think restrictions will stop (with possible exception of masks/WFH guidance) soon!

Why delay, then?

The data suggests that some areas (Bolton, Bedford, Blackburn) have had rising cases due to Delta since mid-late April, which should have given us more than enough time to asses the impact. The increase in hospital numbers has been tiny - a literal fraction of what was seen in previous waves when vaccines weren't widely available to at risk groups.

Why is there seemingly a belief that unlocking now is going to produce a worse result than we've seen in these "early adopter" areas? Especially as we're now 6+ weeks further into the vaccine programme than they were. Yes, it's a small sample size and may not scale so the shit could still hit the fan nationally - but at this point that looks very unlikely.

Remember - the test we're supposed to be measuring this against is "unsustainable pressure on the NHS". I've yet to see anyone credibly suggest there's a likely risk of that - the argument seems to be that because it theoretically could happen (which is true), we should be cautious just in case (which is bollocks).

6 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I was discussing this with my mates in the queue for record store day this morning: if this Edgbaston test doesn't prove to be a super spreader event, I'd be seriously pissed off if End of the road festival is cancelled in September. I know it's a bit selfish, but it's my last hope to save my summer from utter fucking boredom!

I actually have tickets for the India test match in September...  Its my hope I can have my Edgbaston moment.

I guess where where we are is...

Do you risk the low but real risk of a January death rate vs the absolute guarantee of total economic carnage with lockdown until Spring 2022 (and don't pretend that doesn't have a death rate - its just more hidden and less headline grabbing).

Six week window...  make your choice...

Personal I would bet on what is a low risk vs what is an absolute clear outcome.

Trust the vaccines and trust the NHS to do what it does best - crisis management. 

Edited by Barry Fish

22 minutes ago, faymondo said:

That's basically my workplace right now, summed up in that clip. We even, officially, call it the Theatre of Cleaning. We've formally acknowledged it's bullshit but we have to plough on with it

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

That's basically my workplace right now, summed up in that clip. We even, officially, call it the Theatre of Cleaning. We've formally acknowledged it's bullshit but we have to plough on with it

I don't understand why we can't update the guidance on these things.  

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't understand why we can't update the guidance on these things.  

It almost feels like doing that is too far down the priority list. Like it does no harm so why rush to change it when there's other things to sort out first. I f you see what I mean. Don't get me wrong, cleaning stuff in a hostel isn't a bad thing. They get quite grubby quite quickly if you don't. But we have to clean the shared showers between each room using them. Showers! That's an official government requirement for us to operate.

6 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

It almost feels like doing that is too far down the priority list. Like it does no harm so why rush to change it when there's other things to sort out first. I f you see what I mean. Don't get me wrong, cleaning stuff in a hostel isn't a bad thing. They get quite grubby quite quickly if you don't. But we have to clean the shared showers between each room using them. Showers! That's an official government requirement for us to operate.

It feels like they can't admit the early thinking was hopelessly useless.  Poor bloke over the road from me is still washing his cucumbers. 

Edited by Barry Fish